My Spyderco Delica 4 FFG

About 3 months since my last update to this thread...
The Delica still shares and sometimes battles for pocket time with other favorite knife--the small Sebenza 21 Insingo. Lately, the Delica has been winning the battle and I carry it more often than the 21.
Let me tell you--I am a FAN of the VG-10 on this Delica. I have been using it extensively today for more yard work: pruning perennials, cutting raspberry branches back, as well as using it to cut trimmer string quite a bit. By the time I got done it wasn't shaving sharp, but would still cleanly cut notebook paper. I took it to the washboard sharpener with the gray compound and literally within 10 passes it was shaving again. A few more passes on the green compound strop and now we are talkin' sharp baby!

Bottom line: Delica continues to impress! Even after all these months of carry and use she is only showing some minor cosmetic wear--I love the worn look, but this one still looks almost new!

Yes, you get all that quality for a small part of the price of a Sebenza. I know I would put the Sabenza in the closet and just carry the Delica. I carry a Delica most of the time (sometimes I carry the Chaparral, instead). It is my most used knife. I want Spyderco to produce the Delica with black Nishijin scales and ZDP-189 steel (though VG-10 would be okay).

It has been many months since a posting in this thread... I have still been carrying the Delica off and on and it still shares pocket time with a small Sebenza 21 Insingo and a Mnandi. After extended use of EDC tasks with all 3 knives I have come to the realization that overall, I prefer the Delica to any other EDC I have carried. I won't bore you with the lists of candidates for my daily carry, but suffice it to say I have handled, carried, and used a lot of different knives. I am not the type to stockpile--if I don't plan on using it and carrying it, I sell it. Now, I will never eject the Sebenza or Mnandi from the rotation, but it's hard to find anything about the Delica that I don't like.

Here are just a few things I appreciate about it:
1. Size. Perfect for my EDC needs.
2. Value. Relatively inexpensive, good materials, solid company, and readily available.
3. Ergonomics. I used to get annoyed with the phrase "it melts in my hand." Well, guess what--the Delica melts in my hand!
4. Steel. I don't care what the charts say or the BF metallurgical experts say. I love this VG10. It consistently stays sharper than my Sebenza or Mnandi. The edge lasts longer. And it is simply a breeze to sharpen. In fact, I have never even taken it to anything other than the washboard with sandpaper or simple stropped it with gray and green compound. It seems like I am constantly needing to touch up the Seb--not so with the Delica. It just simply works.
5. Thumb ramp. This is a love/hate relationship. I love it in use. I hate it in the pocket. Small price to pay for such a useful feature.

Question for you Delica fans: is there another Spyderco in their lineup with similar size to the Delica that has kicked the Delica out of your pocket or at least fights it for pocket time? I think it is time to add another Spyderco to the EDC rotation.

Thanks for reading!

Question for you Delica fans: is there another Spyderco in their lineup with similar size to the Delica that has kicked the Delica out of your pocket or at least fights it for pocket time? I think it is time to add another Spyderco to the EDC rotation.

The Native 5 LW with it's refined back lock is a good choice. The N5 G10 is no slouch either and (for me) actually feels a little more refined than the LW. But it's also heavier than the LW. Also, If you don't mind a little smaller than the Delica the Dragonflies are great!!! Something from the Sage series should also be considered. I really like my Sage 1 & 2 and the Sage 3 with it's bolt action lock is starting to grow on me.

Love my Delica!

IMG_2826_zpsb5sxyjkk.jpg

That would be the Caly 3, a truly fantastic alternative to the iconic Delica. And it's big brother Caly 3.5 competes for my pockets with the also iconic PM2.

No. I love my Delicas. I do have the Caly3 and carry it sometimes. I also have a Chaparral and carry it more than the Caly3. But the Delica is still my most used and enjoyed knife. Why not get a Ti Damascus Delica? I am going to hit my wife up for one for our anniversary ;)

SharpGuy, 91Bravo, Sal, OM, DocT. . .

Thanks for your feedback, comments, and responses. I am thinking of maybe looking at the Techno given the size comparisons and favorable reports on the Techno. So many Spydercos and so few dollars to spend!

Thanks for your feedback, comments, and responses. I am thinking of maybe looking at the Techno given the size comparisons and favorable reports on the Techno. So many Spydercos and so few dollars to spend!

I've got my first Techno on the way now.

I had a Techno at one time and immediately sold it. It was just too short, stubby and thick for my EDC needs! It may fit your purposes though...

Take a look at the Centofante 3. If the Delica works for you, the Centofante 3 will too.

At a slightly longer handle, the Stretch is a good candidate!
Some place still sells the VG10, though it's currently discontinued.

Edit to add: the VG10 and washboard is indeed a good pair isn't it?
:thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional suggestions--I am having fun researching them. It's great that Spyderco makes so many models to fit so many tastes and uses. Awhile back before I discovered my love for the Delica I passed up the chance to buy a Super Blue Delica at a good price--kicking myself now!

Pics from today. . .

Who needs pruning shears when you have a Delica?

I am sure many of you are like me and you often times go home on your lunch break to pull a few weeds and do some quick/simple yard maintenance tasks. What's that you say? I am on oddball for using my precious lunch hour for yard work? ;)

First, the Cistena Plums needed to be cut back from off the pathway just a bit--small and thin branches are no match for the Delica:

Next up is a large and fast-growing smoke bush on the other side of the walkway--it too needed to be moved back just a bit. Most the shoots were new and tender and therefore very easy to slice back:

Lastly, the more difficult of the three tasks was the Canadian Chokecherry. Several low-hanging branches that needed to be removed to clear headroom on the sidewalk and driveway. There were many small branches that were 1/8" to 1/4", but there were a couple 3/8" to 1/4" branches that needed taming as well. The Delica is a little small for the larger branches, but it still performed fine:

After returning to work and wiping the blade down and removing sap and other debris the edge showed no signs of chips or wear. I thought I would test the sharpness and it was still up to par for more work when it will be called upon next time--VG10 is a great steel!

A spectacular knife ! I have the Delica with the full serrated edge, a terrific choice for everyday carry.

My Delica 4 is always in my pocket. I rotate my Manix 2 LW and Endura . I always have two knives with me.

I love my delica too!!! I've got a friend who would often ask to see my delica and every time he'd look at it he'd say "man, i should just get one" and of course I'd give him the hard sell and tell him that for $50 there's no reason not to. Well he finally cracked and bought himself one. However, I feel I should have warned him about the addictive nature of knife buying though because now he's looking at deli's in different colors and sprints, etc...... I suppose there's worse things to spend money on and a knife addiction isn't all that bad in contrast with other stuff.

I love my deli tho, I hardly ever carry my xm now and when i do I carry my dragonfly as a secondary. I just don't feel right walking out of the house without a spyderco, kinda like walking out the door without your hat or wallet, something just seems amiss, lol

I thought about starting a thread like this awhile back. Now that Sal has chimed in personally to say hello to the OP, I wish I had. lol.

Back