Near perfect traditional EDC knife...

If you are at all worried about public perception, you really can't go wrong with a Red Victorinox SAK.
Everybody is so used to seeing them and they are known more with their multiple tools than their blades.
Small and pretty is good, but with that red SAK handle you can get away with a bigger blade and not raise any ire.

Can't beat a SAK. I made this one specifically to answer the goal of my perfect EDC. It's a single layer SAK with a big and small blade on a single spring. Incredibly stainless and I can strop it up on my chinos. The corkscrew is great for opening knots and giving that old time people friendly look. Whatever the scales, everyone is always going to know this is a SAK. Oh and total cost including the wooden scales was $26. :)

woodenscales_1.jpg

Back to the original question, any discussion of near-ideal knives for day-to-day would be incomplete without mentioning the Victorinox Compact.

This unassuming little knife performed every job I asked of it at locations around the world—including multiple peacekeeping and combat tours. While other folks were pulling out their “fighting knives” to open their MREs, I was using my knife to trim my nails like a civilized person.

As to the “sheeple” bit, I object to the term, as it is simply a derogatory way to refer to people whose frame of reference differs from my own. If someone whips out their ninja-inspired, SEAL-approved, folding stab-slasher with a flourish to open a box, I’m going to throw them a funny look, too. Not because I’m afraid of their pocket toy, but because they’re acting like a douche canoe.

I am of the opinion that a gentleman does not call attention to oneself unnecessarily.

As to the “sheeple” bit, I object to the term, as it is simply a derogatory way to refer to people whose frame of reference differs from my own. If someone whips out their ninja-inspired, SEAL-approved, folding stab-slasher with a flourish to open a box, I’m going to throw them a funny look, too. Not because I’m afraid of their pocket toy, but because they’re acting like a douche canoe.
You take offense to "sheeple", but your okay with "douche canoe"? Lol

I will say that I've opened my Lambsfoot in front of many people and it never gets a weird look. I guess it looks so old fashioned and "used" (not shiny) that it isn't seen as any type of weapon. It is also extremely handy as an "edc" knife.

My pioneer x finally showed up. Already used it to cut some loose strings and tighten a screw on a door latch. Sharpened the blade nicely, but nothing to cut yet...it may be a perfect EDC..dont know yet. Honestly, I did best with my clip blade pemberton before I lost it.

My EDC is a Beer Scout on a lanyard. Sheepfoot blade works great for most day to day cutting chores (when I'm not out in field or someplace where heavy cutting may be required...if I am, then I pull out a Buck 110 or 277) and the lifter makes this knife a crowning jewel...nothing like popping off the top of a cold one and sitting back and admiring the workmanship and general beauty of this knife!

DOz8Qyi.jpg

.... let me see if I get this straight... whipping this out at work to open my mail just might place me in the "canoe" category?

I might have to let my mall ninja card lapse... :p

fantasy_zpsyaz27l5x.jpg

I work in an office filled with urbanites (N/E NJ) - they have no clue about pocket knives - first thing my golfing buddy said when I showed him a #47 stockman was "nice weapon dude" - so thats what I'm up against. I just don't advertise that I carry a variety of Case slipjoints, but I don't go smaller than the 63090 stockman, which is still useful at 3-1/4" long. If I had to bring it out to help one of the secretaries open a box, I figure I at least won't be reported to HR...

Sc3SPkF.jpg

Last edited:
The term "near perfect" is so correct.

I spent too many years and too many dollars seeking the holy perfect pocket knife. In the end, it was like the knight in the Edgar Allen Poe poem "El Dorado." It didn't exist.

But...if you find a knife that serves 95% of the time for what you do, then it's good. That said, you really can't go wrong with a SAK, and it's really hard to go wrong with an alox SAK.I've had one around since 1969, and a SAK makes a great 95% pocket knife. I think it will be acceptable in a very wide range of circumstances and demographics. City, country, no matter.

The 'near perfect' pocket knife will change for a farm worker in Nebraska, a factory worker in Detroit, or office cubical person in any large city like New York, Baltimore, Atlanta, or San Fransisco. Opening a fresh bag of copy paper is a little different than a fresh bag of feed for the livestock. Just a little. Both just require a sharp edge on some kind of piece of steel. The heavy burlap may need a little more blade than the paper wrapper of the copy paper.

In my life I've been a soldier, a construction worker, a machinist, and played at backpacking, canoe and kayak camping, some hunting and a lot of fishing, and a Harry Homeowner with fixit projects. I've used everything from a decent size stockman, small stockman, sodbuster, peanut, Barlow, medium jack, Opinel, Douk-Douk, Mercator K55, Eka Big Swede, and a Buck 110, and a variety of SAK's. They all worked and cut what had to be cut, but over time and trial and error, I did develop some strong preferences. I found I didn't really like single blade knives. Too limited. I liked a 2 7/8 to 3 1/4 two blade pen or jack, if it were a dedicated knife. In a SAK, the 84mm range was good, like the recruit, cadet, small tinker. The 74mm executive is a winner in urban situations. The Puma Junior, Buck 301 stockman, Buck 303 cadet, Boker 240 penknife, Victorinx cadet and Wenger SI were all my 'near perfect' pocket knife at one time or another.

The knife that I found great in my 20's was not the knife I found great in my 40's, and was not the knife I found great in my 60's. Things change, and time has it's way with us. Kind of like the YMMV disclaimer. I used to, once upon a time, carried a Buck 301 stockman as my EDC. At 3 7/8th it was a good size knife. Now I carry a Victorinox executive as an EDC and love it. From 1988 to last January I drove two different Toyota pickup trucks. Now I drive a Toyota Corolla. Times change and we change. What we use changes depending on who and what we are at that time.

Last edited:
Back