Near perfect traditional EDC knife...

Ah...the backside Phillips vs. corkscrew debate...

View attachment 1149224

I’m firmly in the corkscrew camp, largely because the corkscrew also holds the extremely handy micro/eyeglass screwdriver.

The can opener handles #2 Phillips screws quite well, rendering the backside Phillips driver redundant.

Others’ mileage may vary.;)
I carried a Vic camper from age 10 until about 19-20 when I lost it, I'd use the can opener for phillips screws. I'd also use the corkscrew for all kinds of things,nothing I can directly remember though. But I do like the T-handle arrangement for extra torque. Good thing Vic's are tough,I'd also put the large flat on the halfstop and use the handle for more leverage.

My ideal SAK would be a dark green alox 93 mm Electrician, with the nail file in place of the punch. I really don't think I would ever need another EDC.

Further Proof of a SAK being the Near Perfect EDC

During a recent move all my knives were securely pack away but one. A Victorinox EvoGrip 11 was elected to spend "move week" in my pocket.

IDvoELL.jpg

That handy SAK did everything that it was called upon to do and hardly complained at all. Cutting tape, starting holes, filing a broken nail, tightening screws, opening bottles and even peeling a carrot are just a small sampling of the jobs it enabled me to accomplished. A simple reach into my RFP and there it was, a suitable tool for each of those activities. Each day brought several opportunities for the little Vic to show it's stuff. Only once near the end of the ordeal (as the blade began to dull) did it seem to be lacking. I was cutting some felt, the fabric stretched a bit and was slightly frayed. A good sharpening may have prevent the fraying but scissors would have been an even better tool. As much fun as moving is, I'm definitely not anticipating any future moves, except maybe the move where I need only one box and no knives. o_O If I were to do it over, I'd once again choose a SAK as my EDC but most likely one with scissors.
SAKs may not be perfect but IMO they are the ultimate EDC!!!:)

As someone on this thread wisely pointed out, our likes, preferences and tastes change over time, mine certainly have. I have somehow reached the age of 76, pretty soon 77. I’ve bought sold given away and lost more knives that I can remember. This is true of many of us old codgers here.

I suppose my best every day knife for many years was a buck 112 in black micarta. I carried that thing over half the United States into Alaska and back. Right now it’s sitting on the shelf and I look at it fondly and remember many of the so-called adventures that we had.

But today given my deteriorating physical condition and the kinds of things I need a knife for it’s turned out that at this point my favorite every day knives are the Alox Cadet and the GEC Calf Roper 66.

Both are unobtrusive useful and exceptionally well-made. Turns out to my surprise that I’m very fond of the medium sized stockman patterns and I just can’t seem to buy any other ones than those made by great eastern cutlery.

A Case Peanut never raises an eyebrow and the Mini Copperlock and Slimline Trapper rarely do.
View attachment 1137388

Funny, I like the slimline trapper a whole lot, but rarely carry one at work because with that long slim blade I feel it could be perceived by those with no knife experience the wrong way. I prefer something in the 3-1/4" or 3-1/2" stockman variety for EDC ... and use the other less sheeple friendlies on weekends...

3C05F6E2-2518-4733-96B0-9774DC0D67BB.jpeg
As someone on this thread wisely pointed out, our likes, preferences and tastes change over time, mine certainly have. I have somehow reached the age of 76, pretty soon 77. I’ve bought sold given away and lost more knives that I can remember. This is true of many of us old codgers here.

I suppose my best every day knife for many years was a buck 112 in black micarta. I carried that thing over half the United States into Alaska and back. Right now it’s sitting on the shelf and I look at it fondly and remember many of the so-called adventures that we had.

But today given my deteriorating physical condition and the kinds of things I need a knife for it’s turned out that at this point my favorite every day knives are the Alox Cadet and the GEC Calf Roper 66.

Both are unobtrusive useful and exceptionally well-made. Turns out to my surprise that I’m very fond of the medium sized stockman patterns and I just can’t seem to buy any other ones than those made by great eastern cutlery.

Somehow I thought the minimum requirement for a “codger” knife was corkscrew. Wine helps with the arthritis don’t cha know.

Thought I was on a knife forum? Just wasted my time because was offended by sheeple. I am out.

To call others you don’t even know as “sheeples” is to cast yourself in some superior role as a sheep dog. Not appropriate here or anywhere really. You are not my dog, homes.

Superior sheep dog ?? Then you refer to me with the latino slur "homes" ? LOL ... not taking the bait

Last edited:
Out of genuine curiosity, is there an acceptable term to use when describing the type of people to which Lansky was referring?
We all know that there are many people who have been either brainwashed by media/society/whoever to fear any kind of tool that could also be used as a weapon. My own 10 year old granddaughter did the whole "lean back, wide-eyed, shocked that I had a KNIFE" when I pulled mine out to cut open a toy package that my younger granddaughter had received in her meal at a fast food place. She has obviously been taught that response at her school, because her mother and father are definitely not of that opinion....

I'm sure we have all experienced the same type of "shock" when seen using a knife... it's mentioned in several threads I've read in this forum.
edit: actually, the whole first page of THIS thread...

So, if the term "sheeple" (which is fairly descriptive of that group of people) is offensive, how should those types be referenced? I know that generalities are easily misued/mis-applied, so is there an acceptable way to have a discussion that includes them?

In the "gun world" the late great Col. Jeff Cooper coined a word for people that were terrified of guns, simply because they were guns.... no rational reason... he called them "hoplophobes"...
quote from Wikipedia
"Hoplophobia is a political neologism coined by retired American military officer Jeff Cooper as a pejorative to describe an "irrational aversion to weapons."[1][2][3] It is also used to describe the "fear of firearms"[4][5] or the "fear of armed citizens."[6][7]

Hoplophobia is listed simply as a phobia in some medical dictionaries as a fear of weapons or firearms.[8][9][10] "

I suppose if we wanted to discuss this, we could start a thread on it.... I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further, but I just wanted opinions from those involved in this particular episode..

Last edited:
Ok, knock it off. Keep it civil, please.
If you have questions, ask me out side the forum. Make sure you read the guidelines first. Thanks.

For me its a small fixed blade in the 5.25" to 6" range. I prefer carrying in a horizontal crossdraw sheath. This has been my preference knife and sheath for many years. The knife takes on various shapes but the size is relatively the same. This is my current 5.5" oal.

wSSRIZQ.jpg

qnL0djs.jpg

I've got a new one on the workbench for myself. I'm trying out a new steel and it'll be finished here in the next few days. It will be in this pattern. About the same size as my current one just more height to the blade and more curve to the handle:

SM3EHg2.jpg

I have found these little knives to be just handy whether opening packages in the shop, or hay bales, or grain sacks, cutting rope or calves, all manner of things that I might need a knife for on a daily basis in my dual roles as a knife maker/leather craftsman and or rancher.

Back