Near perfect traditional EDC knife...

OK folks. We've always frowned on the use of the "sheeple" label in this sub-forum. Put it to rest, please.

I debated on whether to respond to this but I feel compelled to.

IMO, this is an example of "over-moderation" that borders on censorship. BFC is a great site that I've enjoyed for years largely because people are free to express their opinions honestly and without worrying about political correctness, provided they don't engage in personal attacks or vulgarity (the Whine & Cheese" sub-forum excepted. :p)

"Sheeple" is a pretty benign word that is in the dictionary. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as "people who are docile, compliant, or easily influenced : people likened to sheep." It's a perfectly legitimate word and I see no reason to prohibit its use because a few people don't like it. If I had a nickel for every time I'm "offended" by someone's opinion or the way they express it I'd be rich but I recognize that others have the right to express themselves as they see fit.

Hopefully, BFC will remain a place where people are free to express their opinions without having to worry about political correctness or whether they will offend someone's delicate sensibilities.

What say the rest of you? Am I out of line here?

Departing now to put on my flame-proof suit. :D

Last edited:
I just got Victorinox Pioneer in champagne gold,special edition and cadet alox(will be carried on keychain sometime in future).Already have older Wenger Soldier(version of Victorinox pioneer), have used and carried it hard ,many times and think its near perfect edc knife for most situations,also sheeple friendly so you can use it anywhere.Gold Pioneer will be my only knife for next couple months.All opinions welcome,and what is your near perfect sheeple friendly traditional knife?

The Pioneer is indeed close to the perfect knife for me also. I carried this one for three years straight as my only knife, and only started carrying others out of boredom. From a functional standpoint, the Pioneer is simply extraordinary.

98g6kiZh.jpg

While I tend to agree with you, The Porch is quite a different animal than the rest of BF.
While I've been guilty of crossing a line or two, I like the polite atmosphere here and prefer it to the general rudeness that can happen other places.
Not sure I'm understanding your response correctly. As I understand the Traditional forum, The Porch is its own section under Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades, specifically "Carl's Lounge". This wasn't posted in The Porch. It was posted elsewhere in the Traditional sub-forum. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your response.

Maybe because I am from the south and now live in the Midwest, but I’ve never had anyone question my knives, or at least I’ve never noticed. It's legal to carry so I dont have a problem. Honestly, it really doesnt bother me if it raises an eyebrow. Now, I usually dont carry big knives or super tactical looking flippers etc. And I dont whip out my knife in public and start flipping it etc. If I take it out, it's to use it. Then I put it up. I'm not trying to impress or scare anyone. People are getting so wimpy these days...

Boy, I have...

North west here. People in my home town can walk arround with a Bowie on their hip, without too much fuss.....

But I've been questioned about why I carry a "weapon" arround.

I had a classmate in law school actually seek me out to ask if I would cut her bagels for her. No knife in any of the kitchen drawers in the lunchroom. She found me, and said "hey, I know you always carry a knife, will you cut my bagles"

She did not want to cut her own bagles, mind you....

I cut the bagles somehow soukd toast them....

Once the task was completed she said, with a superior sneer.. "I can't understand why any body would carry a weapon like a knife arround... why do you have it?"

I responded... "I've been carying a knife arround for 20 years just so I could cut your bagles for you. Now that I've done that, I'll never need a knife again, I'm sure!!"

(It was a lock back pocket knife).

The word has always been frowned upon here. That's one of the rules, and if people don't like them, they don't have to post here. Peregrin Peregrin is one of the people who help keep The Porch the polite and friendly place it is, and since he is also a Moderator, I think the wise response, on the rare occasions, he or @knarfeng have to intervene here is 'Sorry, won't happen again'. Complaining about the rules just makes a thankless job harder :thumbsup:

IMO, this is an example of "over-moderation" that borders on censorship. BFC is a great site that I've enjoyed for years largely because people are free to express their opinions honestly and without worrying about political correctness, provided they don't engage in personal attacks or vulgarity (the Whine & Cheese" sub-forum excepted. :p)

"Sheeple" is a pretty benign word that is in the dictionary. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as "people who are docile, compliant, or easily influenced : people likened to sheep." It's a perfectly legitimate word and I see no reason to prohibit its use because a few people don't like it. If I had a nickel for every time I'm "offended" by someone's opinion or the way they express it I'd be rich but I recognize that others have the right to express themselves as they see fit.

Hopefully, BFC will remain a place where people are free to express their opinions without having to worry about political correctness or whether they will offend someone's delicate sensibilities.

What say the rest of you? Am I out of line here?

Departing now to put on my flame-proof suit. :D

@knarfeng
Sorry I missed your post. We take exception to the use of the term in the Traditional Sub-forum. It's always been this way and will, in all likelihood, continue to be. If you take exception to the way this sub-forum is moderated the best place to discuss that is https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/tech-support-general-q-a-site-feedback-more.679/.

The word has always been frowned upon here. That's one of the rules, and if people don't like them, they don't have to post here. Peregrin Peregrin is one of the people who help keep The Porch the polite and friendly place it is, and since he is also a Moderator, I think the wise response, on the rare occasions, he or @knarfeng have to intervene here is 'Sorry, won't happen again'. Complaining about the rules just makes a thankless job harder :thumbsup:
I'm missing something here. Isn't "The Porch" the section under Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades called "Carl's Lounge?" If so, my comment wasn't posted in The Porch. Is the rule to which you refer specific to The Porch?

Is there a specific prohibition somewhere on use of the word "sheeple" and, if so, does it apply everywhere or only to The Porch?

Not trying to be inflammatory here. I'm genuinely trying to understand.

Thx

@knarfeng
Sorry I missed your post. We take exception to the use of the term in the Traditional Sub-forum. It's always been this way and will, in all likelihood, continue to be. If you take exception to the way this sub-forum is moderated the best place to discuss that is https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/tech-support-general-q-a-site-feedback-more.679/.
Gary:

Point taken about discussing this elsewhere.

Where does one find the rules that pertain to the Traditional Sub-forum? Sorry if this has gotten out-of-hand.

Thx

I'm missing something here. Isn't "The Porch" the section under Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades called "Carl's Lounge?" If so, my comment wasn't posted in The Porch. Is the rule to which you refer specific to The Porch?

Is there a specific prohibition somewhere on use of the word "sheeple" and, if so, does it apply everywhere or only to The Porch?

Not trying to be inflammatory here. I'm genuinely trying to understand.

Thx

The Porch is what posters here call the whole of the Traditional sub-forum, Carl's Lounge is often referred to as just The Lounge :)

The rules for this specific sub-forum are stickied at the top of the page :thumbsup:

The Porch is what posters here call the whole of the Traditional sub-forum, Carl's Lounge is often referred to as just The Lounge :)

The rules for this specific sub-forum are stickied at the top of the page :thumbsup:
Thank you for clarifying that. I misunderstood the relationship between The Porch and Carl's Lounge.

Thanks also for pointing me to the rules for the Traditional sub-forum.

Thank you for clarifying that. I misunderstood the relationship between The Porch and Carl's Lounge.

Thanks also for pointing me to the rules for the Traditional sub-forum.
I've always understood "the Porch" to be the traditional sub-forum, as Jack said. The "lounge" has more leeway than other threads on the Porch for discussing non-knife related subjects.

I agree with you about your dislike of "political correctness," but we don't discuss politics or religion here, and the moderators do a good job of helping to keep the Porch a great place to hang out. I do appreciate the politeness that prevails here, as opposed to some sub-forums where "anything goes," it seems.

I am not following the politics here but I wanted to post a knife that would do it all for me if I had to, as far as pocket knives go. Fixed blades are an entirely different matter. This knife was made by Ken Erickson and I would love to carry it and may some day but it is a treasure; I would hate to degrade its (yes, that word is spelled correctly for a change) lovely demeanor in any way. Therefore it is so far consigned to a lonely life in a safe place. I wanted a pen blade instead of a spey blade. Now it is perfect.View attachment 1143659

A perfect knife.

I've been hit by the mods here a few times for borderline language. So it goes. It's not my site. I think strong moderation is necessary to keep internet communities healthy. I'd rather they went too far on the strict side of the line sometimes rather than not moderate.

The mods in the traditional forums seem to be pretty good and have my trust as far as moderating goes. And if I ever disagree with how they moderate, I can always not visit the site.

One thing the moderation isn't is censorship.

Instead of posting multiple times arguing about if this forum is part of 'the porch' and subject to those rules, accept that a mod has stepped in and told you what exactly is expected here on this topic and move on.

I've found all traditional's around 3 7/8" or smaller work as a friendly knife, what's more important is how you present yourself and the knife. People not used to a knife don't question why I have a knife.
Size can make an impression a Buck 110 or GEC #43 might be to much in an office setting to cut a string but would go unnoticed at the local farm supply.

A lot of people in the general forum tend to deploy, whip out or whip out and deploy their knife.
Traditional users tend to take out their knife open it, use it, then put it up.
Even when I carry the few modern knives I have, (they're 4 1/4" or smaller) I either roll them open slowly or two hand open them. I'll always have a traditional I can use as an alternative.
There's always an exception to the rule but mostly people react to you, based on how you present yourself.

My own favorites tend to be single bladed between 3 1/2" to 3 3/4"

I am not following the politics here but I wanted to post a knife that would do it all for me if I had to, as far as pocket knives go. Fixed blades are an entirely different matter. This knife was made by Ken Erickson and I would love to carry it and may some day but it is a treasure; I would hate to degrade its (yes, that word is spelled correctly for a change) lovely demeanor in any way. Therefore it is so far consigned to a lonely life in a safe place. I wanted a pen blade instead of a spey blade. Now it is perfect.View attachment 1143659

As a custom stockman lover (and stockman lover in general), I agree that that knife is just about perfect. I'd rather a wharncliff but I'd use the snot out of it as is.

Back