New 14 run

Hmmm... calling the Ironwood "cocobolo" and slipping a "2" into the model number of the white bone barlow. I hope this isn't an indication of overall attention to detail at the shop!

141218-Barlow-Smooth-Whiite-Bone-1.jpg

Recieved my smooth white bone from Lyle last week; just today got to mess around with it . The F&F is top notch, seemless transitions and no catching of any kind whatsoever. But there were a number if teetiny little surface scratched in the main blade (no big deal) and the thing is put together so blamed tight the pen blade has literally no talk or snap at all. 10 degrees (maybe even closer?) from halfstop and it still won't snap into the the halfstop.

Maybe it was the anticipation from waiting 4+ months for it, but I'm kind of bummed out to be quite honest. And that is in No way a knock on Mr. Frye! He drew up and put together an absolutely classy looking knife.

Hmmm... calling the Ironwood "cocobolo" and slipping a "2" into the model number of the white bone barlow. I hope this isn't an indication of overall attention to detail at the shop!

141218-Barlow-Smooth-Whiite-Bone-1.jpg
Funny you mention that I noticed they labeled the stag 82 as Tidioute in a production photo...definitely getting sloppy over there must be a new hire? :)

Recieved my smooth white bone from Lyle last week; just today got to mess around with it . The F&F is top notch, seemless transitions and no catching of any kind whatsoever. But there were a number if teetiny little surface scratched in the main blade (no big deal) and the thing is put together so blamed tight the pen blade has literally no talk or snap at all. 10 degrees (maybe even closer?) from halfstop and it still won't snap into the the halfstop.

Maybe it was the anticipation from waiting 4+ months for it, but I'm kind of bummed out to be quite honest. And that is in No way a knock on Mr. Frye! He drew up and put together an absolutely classy looking knife.

Mine has great walk and talk after thoroughly cleaning out the joints and break-in. @Chief recommended Quick Release oil and it works much better than most any oil I've tried. They are put together tight, but mine is perfectly centered (both blades) and has zero blade play and that's the way I like it.

Work those blades and give em a little bit of time. They'll come around. All the 2 blade 14's I received were a bit stiff out of the tube especially the pens and initially got me a bit worried, as you did. Now they're action puts a smile on my face every-time I hear that clink shut.

If you are dissatisfied, we'll work something out to your satisfaction. Contact me via email correspondence if needed.
Sorry for your troubles. These knives have been pretty much problem free, but there were several thousand 14s made and no one is perfect.:)

Mine took a little break-in too! Same problem, but I cleaned it and re-lubed it, and worked it for a while! Now it's perfect!!

Just found out that the shields on some are glued and not pinned. Mine fell off. That's disappointing. More so that they are gluing and less that it fell off.

Hmmm, troubling indeed.

Pinned versus strictly glued shields has been one of those details that makes me appreciate GEC more. Or at least, so I thought. I definitely would like this to be investigated further.

I just confirmed that my recent 14s with shields are indeed pinned. I suppose I could see where a textured shield like the Cripple Creek one may be glued instead of pinned but still, more information is needed.

I just confirmed that my recent 14s with shields are indeed pinned. I suppose I could see where a textured shield like the Cripple Creek one may be glued instead of pinned but still, more information is needed.
It's funny, but my mind went directly to the Cripple Creek shields too. If GEC was to stop pinning their shields, it would definitely knock them down a few pegs in my book. But I'll chalk this up to hearsay until I get further proof. Hopefully NewBlades16 NewBlades16 will come back and give more clarification.

Hey guys. Sorry but I sent the knife back to the dealer today. I want to say that the dealer is 100% backing me and will replace. I never thought otherwise. I hesitated writing this because I knew I was not going to post a photo. Even if I did still have the knife, I already decided I would not post a photo to keep the integrity of the dealer that I have the upmost respect for and want to continue this relationship in the future. It was confirmed at GEC that "some are glued." Maybe it is just the man made materials. I do not know. Mine is a man made material and not acrylic.
Thanks for your understanding guys. It disappoints me that any would be glued as I am sure many are not. And I completely understand if lack of proof is hearsay. Again, sorry about that as per the reason I mentioned above. This disappoints me as much as anyone considering the premium price tag for certain 14s

Just a side note. When I received it, there was not shield at all. I thought maybe it fell but I did not find one as I was in small area and am sure I would have. That is how I noticed no pinning.

Last edited:
Had to check. My Barlow's are both stamped 141118. Lovely walk and talk like they should and are endemic of the usual superb craftsmanship from the folks at GEC.15428555248253662727557844036080.jpg

Back