New 14 run

Thanks for the quick reply NewBlades16 NewBlades16 , I'm glad it's getting fixed.
So, I'm guessing a Micarta CC now... Somebody go pry up your buffalo :D

I don't see the back of a pin on the underside of the liner.
HooOl9S.jpg

My Elderberry has a visible pin where the shield is.

NewBlades16 NewBlades16 I don't have a micarta just the other 14's with shields listed in my post.

"green boot, Frank's, Lyle's and the tortoise shell DLT...all pinned."

Ok, When you mentioned this, I thought you meant that all pinned SFOs from these dealers had pinned shields. I must have interpreted incorrectly.

Those are just the ones in my possession that I could look at :)
Seems like this issue is isolated to the micarta CCs for whatever reason.

Ok yes I was thinking it is the hound's tooth. I wonder why pinned there and not pinned on the other micarta.
I think it's due to the type of shield. On the black micarta it is just a flat piece of metal. It can be installed before final assembly and ground flush with the micarta after assembly.

The buffalo shield can't be ground at all without destroying the buffalo. The knife is assembled and the micarta shaped, then the shield inserted.

The jigged bone are only ground on the ends to make them flush with the bolster/end cap. So the shield can be pinned in place before assembly.

That's just my guess.

May be why the ironwood is delayed. It would have the same problem as the micarta where the wood needs to be smoothed and rounded before the shield is inserted.

I think it's due to the type of shield. On the black micarta it is just a flat piece of metal. It can be installed before final assembly and ground flush with the micarta after assembly.

The buffalo shield can't be ground at all without destroying the buffalo. The knife is assembled and the micarta shaped, then the shield inserted.

The jigged bone are only ground on the ends to make them flush with the bolster/end cap. So the shield can be pinned in place before assembly.

That's just my guess.

May be why the ironwood is delayed. It would have the same problem as the micarta where the wood needs to be smoothed and rounded before the shield is inserted.
That was my next question. Is it Ironwood or Cocobolo?

Back