New Bento Box Exclusive?

Perfect IMO.

Seriously though, hard to describe a detent and not likely they are all exactly identical.

For people who have gotten these what is the detent like?

Mine is firm. No chance of it opening by accident. Closes with a noticeable tug as it seats, but opens smoothly.

Not that it matters to me, this one does not drop closed. I have lubed but not adjusted the pivot. It's not an issue for me. I have plenty that do drop closed and a few that don't. Either way is okay with me and require no remediation.

I'm very pleased with the fit and finish of this knife.

I'd say my detent is perfect. Can't shake the blade out, but still easy to spydie flick.

I actually tightened my pivot because it was a little too drop free. No blade play, but too lose for my liking.

The last couple PM2s I received the pivot bushing was so dialed in it didn't matter how hard I torque the pivot screw, it will still drop free (like a Sebenza). The limiting factor of the free dropping on both is the stop pin screw torque.

Michael Christy likes his...

I'd love to have this model, but I absolutely refuse to do business with BBS! :poop: :thumbsdown: If more of their stuff was more fairly priced like this one, I might change my tune, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, especially with them selling the CruCarta Shaman at full MSRP. o_O Maybe I'll pick up a used one on the secondary market later, the green and K390 look good together.

I think I've heard you mention your feelings about them previously. Maybe we can get past that and actually discuss the knife at some point without the diatribe.

I think I've heard you mention your feelings about them previously. Maybe we can get past that and actually discuss the knife at some point without the diatribe.

You probably have.

"Maybe I'll pick up a used one on the secondary market later, the green and K390 look good together."

Any chance you think that Michael Christy is a Ballerina or comedian as a main profession? Just asking...

You should probably ask him. I don't know the man.

zoL12G5.jpg

I've used a K390 Mule in the kitchen for years now and it's got quite the reputation. I run it at a 12.5 DPS edge with heavily-convexed shoulders, so...thin. My wife is not a knife person, so she doesn't have the "finesse" that most of us have with edged things. The edge on my Mule gets drug across plates, countertops, thrown into the sink, opens packages, pries stuff, etc. I'm guilty of using it to stab the base of tin cans to release refried beans from their can (breaks the vacuum that holds the beans in). The dang thing just doesn't dull, and when it does, it comes back pretty quickly. It sharpens up WAY faster than the S110V PM2 I had, but with better edge holding and significantly better edge stability.

I've had my K390 PM2 for a few days now and it's everything I was expecting. Based off of my experience with the Mule, I've been saying for years that a K390 PM2 would be the truth, and to toot my own horn, I wasn't wrong.

Action is swell, and the out-of-the-box edge was the sharpest I've ever encountered from a factory knife. So sharp, that I'm leaving it alone until it needs work - which might be a longass time because...well...K390. I pushcut a thick zip-tie that was sitting against a hard plastic surface yesterday and I can't tell what part of the blade I used. I'm debating on giving it the same treatment I gave my Mule and knock the shoulders off of the edge to increase cutting performance.

I will say though, that as others have noted: The screw heads aren't totally flush with the handles. It doesn't bother me at all, but a pedantic collector would probably sneer.

I've used a K390 Mule in the kitchen for years now and it's got quite the reputation. I run it at a 12.5 DPS edge with heavily-convexed shoulders, so...thin. My wife is not a knife person, so she doesn't have the "finesse" that most of us have with edged things. The edge on my Mule gets drug across plates, countertops, thrown into the sink, opens packages, pries stuff, etc. I'm guilty of using it to stab the base of tin cans to release refried beans from their can (breaks the vacuum that holds the beans in). The dang thing just doesn't dull, and when it does, it comes back pretty quickly. It sharpens up WAY faster than the S110V PM2 I had, but with better edge holding and significantly better edge stability.

I've had my K390 PM2 for a few days now and it's everything I was expecting. Based off of my experience with the Mule, I've been saying for years that a K390 PM2 would be the truth, and to toot my own horn, I wasn't wrong.

Action is swell, and the out-of-the-box edge was the sharpest I've ever encountered from a factory knife. So sharp, that I'm leaving it alone until it needs work - which might be a longass time because...well...K390. I pushcut a thick zip-tie that was sitting against a hard plastic surface yesterday and I can't tell what part of the blade I used. I'm debating on giving it the same treatment I gave my Mule and knock the shoulders off of the edge to increase cutting performance.

Shut up! :D

I'm going to thin my Police 4 K390 to 13 dps tomorrow and see how it performs.

Hey, I actually got one! :D So what if it's a second, I got it straight from Spyderco, and the only thing I found wrong was some stripped clip screws. Easy fix, I didn't have to deal with BBS, and it was WAY less expensive. :cool:

I should post a picture or two and a short review soon. ;)

I'm going to thin my Police 4 K390 to 13 dps tomorrow and see how it performs.

I did the shoulder work on mine for cutting performance and because the lower edge angles made the edge bevel massive and silly looking. Good luck! You won't be disappointed.

Hey, I actually got one! :D So what if it's a second, I got it straight from Spyderco, and the only thing I found wrong was some stripped clip screws. Easy fix, I didn't have to deal with BBS, and it was WAY less expensive. :cool:

I should post a picture or two and a short review soon. ;)

A friend of mine picked up a factory second in K390 for $85. I had some choice words, then offered to buy it off of him for more than he paid. He declined, which sent me to BBS :(

Back