New Collaboration with KnifeResearch

Is not the some project. Enki is a bit bigger.
A new ergonomic shape for high performance.

I'm liking the Enki. Can't wait for some more photos. The X5 is very nice looking also - if I understand correctly, no longer available? Mike

Only a small quantity of the X5 where made

p1060755c.jpg

Thanks Neo. I was looking into the X5 and some of the other knives you listed. Some pretty nice designs and great steels. It's interesting for me to get a glimpse of some of the nice designs that aren't always available in the US. Maybe it's better for me that way. I'd be spending more than the excessive amounts I already spend on knives. I do like the knives that Knife Research has produced. Mike

As I said, I think the Enki looks great. I can understand that some don't like choils in general. But I think it looks great, and the Enki just has other uses than the Rasul. Can't wait for it.

Btw Molletta. Do you want to share some info about the the Ningishzidda. 6 inches long? Very interesting name. Wiki says it comes from the Mesopotamian religion like the Enki and is the deity of the underworld. Translated by danish historian Thorkild Jacobsen :) I like the family naming!

Also perhaps some folder info? I would like you to consider using Böhler K390 steel. It's supposed to be the best performing steel for at small blade today. It would be expensive, but extremely exclusive and desirable. And the performance would be out of this world.

They have used K360 for the Nexus 7, so I would see them capable of using K390 in some future ;)

Maybe the Ningishzidda field knife will look more like a longer X5 with vanadis 4E steel :)

Maybe the Ningishzidda field knife will look more like a longer X5 with vanadis 4E steel :)

Ningishzidda will have another steel with high wear and toughness.
Project is completed. Hope to go in production in this year. ;)

Last edited:
As I said, I think the Enki looks great. I can understand that some don't like choils in general. But I think it looks great, and the Enki just has other uses than the Rasul. Can't wait for it.

Btw Molletta. Do you want to share some info about the the Ningishzidda. 6 inches long? Very interesting name. Wiki says it comes from the Mesopotamian religion like the Enki and is the deity of the underworld. Translated by danish historian Thorkild Jacobsen :) I like the family naming!

Also perhaps some folder info? I would like you to consider using Böhler K390 steel. It's supposed to be the best performing steel for at small blade today. It would be expensive, but extremely exclusive and desirable. And the performance would be out of this world.

For folders avaluated some steel. At this moment I am working on SR Mini and SR-X for Lionsteel and the first folder of Knife Research.

Last edited:
Yea I've been thinking about what steel to use if not Vanadis 4E. Unfortunately I don't think there is a steel with better Wear/toughness combination out there for a 6 inch blade.

Though Böhler K490 looks very promising. Almost same wear resistance as M4 but much higher toughness. This is one to consider.

There's American steels that perhaps could be chosen. CPM 3V, 51200, M4 perhaps.

There's also Japanese steels, but I don't know much about them. I hear the Japanese tend to be reluctant to sell their best steel to foreigners. Don't know if it's true.

If you don't mind my asking, is the Ningishzidda a KnifeResearch or LionSteel project? Thank you. Mike

Yea I've been thinking about what steel to use if not Vanadis 4E. Unfortunately I don't think there is a steel with better Wear/toughness combination out there for a 6 inch blade.

Though Böhler K490 looks very promising. Almost same wear resistance as M4 but much higher toughness. This is one to consider.

There's American steels that perhaps could be chosen. CPM 3V, 51200, M4 perhaps.

There's also Japanese steels, but I don't know much about them. I hear the Japanese tend to be reluctant to sell their best steel to foreigners. Don't know if it's true.

Böhler K490 is one of steels considered. Only big flat bars available...

Böhler K490 is one of steels considered. Only big flat bars available...

Yeah not the easiest to work with, but K490 would be a fantastic steel. It combines high wear resistance with high toughness. Not only toughness against gross failure, but also has a high ductility which means very high chipping resistance. Plus it can be used in various hardnesses. Actually all the way up to RC 64 even though I would think RC 60-62 would be optimal.

According to Böhler, at RC 62 the wear resistance is almost as high as PM23 / M4, and the toughness is more than double as high.

All in all I think it's worth the extra production difficulties :)

There is also an alternative that has similar characteristics.
This is available only in blocks to saw and not in sheets.
Working blocks causes a waste of materials and processes that are difficult to reconcile with the normal production.
Let's see where we end ...

Yes it's true with blocks of material there will be a lot a waste material. I don't know how much better the big bars will be, but if K490 is not worse than the alternative in this regard, it makes it easier to choose K490 for the project :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the result, and can't wait to see the design :D

Back