NEW CRK Impofu

That would be a hard decision to make. Not sure if I could bring myself to use one of the 1 of 14 proto's.

If you get time this week I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it in the sheath.

It would be hard to use a limited edition one, but I guess it only really matters if you plan to resell it someday. For me, the collectors can have the limited ones, I just want a plain one to use and carry....:D

It would be hard to use a limited edition one, but I guess it only really matters if you plan to resell it someday. For me, the collectors can have the limited ones, I just want a plain one to use and carry....:D

I'm on the fence on this one. Unless CRK introduces an optional wheels kit, carrying is going to be a chore. :confused: ;) :D

I'm on the fence on this one. Unless CRK introduces an optional wheels kit, carrying is going to be a chore. :confused: ;) :D

With a knife like this, the only way to carry it honestly is with a Baldric Rig. I make them from Paracord and they work really well.

Here is a pic of my purple/camo one. I used it for some of my larger Bark River knives, which are easily the size of this.

I was teasing you, but that solution makes a ton of sense. :thumbup:

I will be interested to hear reports about how the grip works with "active use." Hopefully no hot spots, blisters, etc.

That would be a hard decision to make. Not sure if I could bring myself to use one of the 1 of 14 proto's.

If you get time this week I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it in the sheath.

Ken, I will bud:thumbup:

Really like the sheath, as it has a slight bend in it, which allows it to balance on your side better. I'll try to get a good pic of that too.

I am really excited about this, and my only gripe is that CRK isn't making this into a production model.

S35VN is a fantastic steel, but I don't think it's nearly a good a candidate for a large fixed blade/chopper as CPM-3V. For the intended usage of a knife like this, I think 3V is probably the most proven steel we have seen to date given it's toughness on paper and in usage is without question. The handle looks awesome and you know it will have great ergos, I love the blade shape, and you know the geometry will be fantastic as its a CRK. Indeed it is an expensive knife, but it should be one helluva good performer and something you can use for the hardest of tasks. Also the .27 blade thickness should give a nice performance balance on this sort of knife.

Maybe if this is a big hit they will consider doing some of their medium-large fixed blades in 3V runs?

I have a couple of Bark River fixed blades in 3V. This is an outstanding choice for a knife like this, and it's great to see CRK using 3V.

I have a couple of Bark River fixed blades in 3V. This is an outstanding choice for a knife like this, and it's great to see CRK using 3V.

It is indeed good stuff, they did some OPKs in 3V as well. I think it will only be used on limited run knives though, if the Impofu went into production I can see it being made in S35Vn and not 3V. :)

It is indeed good stuff, they did some OPKs in 3V as well. I think it will only be used on limited run knives though, if the Impofu went into production I can see it being made in S35Vn and not 3V. :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that doesn't happen and that this is a start of a trend of CRK using 3V on their FBs. While I think S35VN is about as good as steel can get on a folding knife, I think 3V is a much better steel for medium and especially larger fixed blades given it's almost ridiculous toughness and the ability to withstand the types of impact a larger fixed blade can see in usage that really isn't seen on smaller knives.

I think one of the (many) reasons that Busses are so popular is because INFI gives the performance figures one wants on a fixed blade knife they are going to use for hard and even abusive work. And I think independent tests have confirmed that the insane toughness of INFI has a major functional advantage on a fixed blade that gets beat on. In that sense, 3V offers a steel which will yield similar performance characteristics as that of INFI, favoring toughness as the primary trait and providing incredible strength and incredible impact resistance, still be reasonably easy to field sharpen, and to my understanding offering somewhat better corrosion resistance than other tool steels with that degree of toughness. The KG Gun Coat is a nice addition to give it some more corrosion resistance, and I really like whatever CRK does to achieve the good durability of the coating.

Take the awesome fixed blade designs of Chris Reeve and throw CPM-3V in the mix and it gets me giddy just thinking about it.

That looks to be a very well made sheath, and I like how the loop is canted.
The handle looks as good as any I've seen. I bet it feels great in hand.

Those are great images, and you can really tell how good this knife looks. Now I want one !
Thanks for the pics !

Holy crap, that's an awesome beast! Congratulations on the new knife. Very nice. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sam

Congrats on the nice chopping machine..:thumbup:
Dig the lash hole on the sheath. Nice sheath.

Doug

Back