New Doug Ritter folder

Also yours has the thumbstud screw positioned on the non display side unlike mine.

I call it a quality control issue.

KnifeWorks advertised the knife with stainless screws (See the below screenshot). Your knife is #177 and mine is #137, both first production knives. It’s not like first production units went out with stainless screws and full production units now have black screws (to differentiate first production units). It doesn’t bother me, but from a quality control standpoint, a knife shouldn’t roll off the assembly line without being meticulously inspected for consistency. The same goes for the thumb screws. It is definitely a quirk.

Regardless, I’m sure they’d send replacement stainless screws to anyone that received black.

2CFA0806-F99F-4F4C-9E9D-5629B576458D.jpeg

I received mine last night. #170 & #171. Both have BO screws. I love it. Nicer than my BM Ritter

Another wonderful shot.

z25r3JH.jpg

Received mine last night too, #188 BO screws too, which i prefer, since it looks more consistent with the pivot hardware. Mine was very slightly off centered and has a bit side to side play. IMO not a quality issue the oivot is just too loose. I tightened the pivot(which has blue locktite) a bit and blade centered up nicely and the side to side play is gone. One thing that surprised me is that even when you cranked down the pivot all the way the blade is still super smooth and can be flicked opened readily. I think this is because of the supersmooth, almost mirror like stonewash finish.
I’d say the quality is better than most benchmade i have seen recently, and I just bought 5 benchmades in the past month.
If you have multiple griptilian you will realize that the proportion of this knife is a bit weird, the blade is shorter and the handle is unnecessary longer giving it a para 2 proportion. However because the thickest past of the handle is in the middle instead of near the pivot like griptilian, this knife is much more comfortable. The additional notch at the index finger also add to the comfort.
While the handle look like g10 griptilian, it feels completely different, im a good way.

Got mine this morning when I got into work.
Cant find anything negative to say.
I’m very happy with it.
I’ll probably just keep using my old RitterGrip for now though.

FYI:
#194 , black screws, thumbstud screw on presentation side.

On the difference of color for the hardware, the Knifeworks add text has always said...

SPECIFICATIONS
"Specifications subject to change without notice"

Finally received mine today (Ordered Oct 3rd). Not gonna post any pics since there have already been several posted, and it looks exactly like the rest. G2FP162 w/ black hardware.

This knife is awesome! The fit and finish is outstanding! I love the sunburst fluting/texture on the scales. Perfectly centered, zero blade play, smooth deployment and a flawless locking mechanism.

I love my old Ritter Grip, but this knife feels much more substantial in the hand. The open back design is very welcome along with repositioned lanyard hole. I also like the big chunky thumbstuds.

My only complaint is the deep carry clip, which i think has already been mentioned. It is a definite hotspot for my lower palm. Deep carry has never been a priority of mine, since I live in TX, so I will probably just swap it with a black BM clip (lol).

Very happy with this pre-order! Well done, Hogue/Doug!

How's the pivot on these? On my Benchmades, the pivot sweet spot is microscopic. Barely turn the screw one way or the other and you either get blade play or a stiff action. It's very frustrating.

One thing that surprised me is that even when you cranked down the pivot all the way the blade is still super smooth and can be flicked opened readily.

Adjustment is similar to BM's, but a tad better. Dialed in perfectly. No blade play & still smooth.

Update: 100+ more deployments. Butter smooth, no blade play & now free drops.

Last edited:
I was on the KW website this afternoon, planning to order a Spyderco 204p PM2 but at the last moment changed my mind and ordered this Doug Ritter MK1 gen 2. This will be at least 2-3 months waiting correct?

I ordered a different item the other day. I asked about these and was told it just depends on the quantity in each batch they receive. The ones shipping recently were ordered in October. If I remember, she a said the first round was 33, then another of 70 came in.

Ordered 12/19/18. I will post when I receive it.

For what it's worth I have read every post on BF about this knife and after much contemplation decided to pull the trigger.

I'm not concerned at all about Hogue's use of the axis lock. They kept the weak link omega springs and I wouldn't be surprised if they have some problems with them. Benchmade upped their game with the coil spring on the Anthem and I believe will continue to have the best mechanism if they can incorporate this into less expensive utilitarian designs.

When I see the blade I think "Ritter" although I realize it is a variation on a theme. It reminds of the LUDT blade as well.

When I see the handle I think "Pardue Griptilian". I think it could be argued that this handle is also a variation on a theme. I would guess this handle shape was likely influenced by some 1800's Bowie type where I have seen similar shapes. The checking reminds me of standard gunstock/pistol grip pattern. For me, the Pardue blade is more of a factor in the design...it's great. When I had one I changed the scales though.

Would I have liked to see some credit go to Pardue? Yes

I would say Ritter's post here influenced the decision to buy as well. The impression to me was that Pardue was cool with this. I didn't get the wedding story but proverb/idiom type things are usually lost on me!

A bit of an update...Knifeworks just charged my credit card for the preorder placed on October 4th. I suspect this means they got a new batch and will be shipping them out this week.

Back