New Doug Ritter folder

Good news. I ordered mine way late so won't make this round I am sure but that is good because still trying to recoup. I am ok if not till March.

On the difference of color for the hardware, the Knifeworks add text has always said...

SPECIFICATIONS
"Specifications subject to change without notice"

Yep, it's a pretty typical thing for hardware finish to change during production. Massdrop gave people a $20 credit for it last fall, which was nice and probably overkill, but it's kind of typical for them to react really well to a mistake that was ultimately avoidable or minor. Something like changing the hardware finish between prototype and production without mentioning it, even though the change was actually a part of the original plan and they could have made a note of the difference at some point.

I ordered mine 10/6 and it arrived today. Centered and smooth. Good grinds. I'm glad I waited. I've had lots of grips including a few with custom scales. I think this knife is great.

I ordered mine 10/6 and it arrived today. Centered and smooth. Good grinds. I'm glad I waited. I've had lots of grips including a few with custom scales. I think this knife is great.
Awesome. Just curious. Did it arrive with stainless or black scale screws?

Stainless. #261
I got mine this morning (#257) and it also has the stainless screws.

My overall thoughts:

1. The long preorder time was well worth the wait.
2. This is fantastic and easily comparable (if not better) than the G10 grip (551-1) and a grip I previously bought from the custom shop.
3. Hogue can clearly put out a knife that is as good as anyone at a very reasonable price. I hope they continue down this path as competition is always good for the consumer.
4. I will be first in line to preorder either a mini version or different colored versions.

Placed order on 10/4. Card charged on 1/8. Shipped on 1/10 and delivered on 1/12. #201 with stainless hardware.

Have not done any real cutting with it yet so I'll report back when it's been beat up some. Can't wait to see how this M390 compares to the one in my Viper Orso which has been outstanding at edge retention and deformations.

Initial impressions are positive. The grind is a thing of beauty. Primary grind and edge grind are perfect. Best of any knife I've bought. Whomever did it took real pride in their work. Action is nice and no play on the blade. Blade was slightly off center and when I took it apart to try and center it I found everything was super clean and oiled! Again, best of any knife I've bought. It's centered now. The clip works quite well. I thought it would be a real source for a hot spot (like my 551-1 which I would like to switch out) but with limited use it hasn't felt bad. The design is rather different than that of the 551-1 clip as it curves down early then ramps back up early for easy pocket insertion. By far the best clip for no-fuss one handed pocket insertion on any knife I have.

The G-10 is rather rough. That might take some getting used to. As others have stated, it feels much different than a Grip even though it may look just like one. The bit longer and wider handle just make it feel more substantial. Lastly, I much prefer the smaller thumb studs and lock studs on the 551-1 but I won't be doing anything crazy like swapping them.

New to the forum. Have a few questions about the RSK MK1 G2 for those who have handled and/or currently use it.

New to the forum. Have a few questions about the RSK MK1 G2 for those who have handled and/or currently use it.
Ask away!

rLYcaGM.jpg

Ask away!

rLYcaGM.jpg

How rough is the texturing in the G10 handles? How does the locking mechanism compare to the axis lock? How does the fit and finish compare to other companies? Is it too big for everyday carry? If I bought it thinking that I'd get Benchmade like action, but with better quality control, would I be disappointed?

1. Texturing is just right.
  2. Able lock is as = as the Axis lock. (Wolff springs might edge it out.)
  3. F&F is real good.
  4. Nope.
  5. Again...nope.

What are they getting for thickness behind the edge on these?
G2

With just my slide calipers, I got these:
Base: .0180"
Mid: .0195"
Tip: .0210"
Not as accurate as I'd like, but it's in the ball park.

Thanks sounds pretty slicey
G2

1. Texturing is just right.
  2. Able lock is as = as the Axis lock. (Wolff springs might edge it out.)
  3. F&F is real good.
  4. Nope.
  5. Again...nope.

F&F is better. The texture seems rough but isn't really a pocket shredder, the lockup is good and the action is very smooth.

One caviat? I find the clip seems to scrape at the sidw hand when walking at times and can be uncomfortable but very seldom.

As for the springs, they are stronger but this has little effect on the feel of the knife. Size is very personal, but it isn't intrusively big and it fills my hand well with no hot spots. The liner seems thicker than on my 940, but I will have to check that with my calipers tomorrow

Back