NEW MEMBER THREAD! If you're new to the forum post it here.

Welcome to the madness! If you’re just looking for info on knives, then go no further. We’ll have you broke and in divorce court in no time. If you’re looking for info on smithing, be sure to check out the Knifemakers Discussion Forums - lots of makers of all types and experience levels here.

Hello. I'm a new member from MA. I love pocket knives and learning. I don't have a large collection, just some that I have owned and loved for years.

Hello. I'm a new member from MA. I love pocket knives and learning. I don't have a large collection, just some that I have owned and loved for years.
Welcome to BF fellow masshole!

Hello y'all.

I don't even know where to begin. I'm an older (68) hunter, shooter, outdoors guy who never focused in on knives before. I've got a few knives but only see them as tools (hunting/skinning knife, survival knives, machete, bayonets, etc.). I used to be a professional golf club maker, so rudimentary understanding about steel/metallurgy (carbon vs. SS vs. titanium, etc.). I own Leatherman Surge multi-tools (2 x cars, 1 x boat, 1 x EDC). When I hunt I use an Outdoor Edge RazorPro with disposable blades along with my Surge. I have a couple of these knives (pictured below: Magnum Research makes my favorite 1911 pistols. Probably more ornamental than functional), mainly because I'm a big fan of 1911 pistols and these have interchangeable G10 grips that fit on my 1911s. It accompanies me on my belt when I go hunting or camping and it seems to work.

I can't sharpen a knife worth a damn.

Anyways, I tell you all this to give you some background on my lack of knowledge for cutting tools. I'd like to have an appreciation for these things; I just don't even know what I don't know right now. I don't have any asks or questions at this time, I just wanted to introduce myself and hang around.

-Jim
QBUKNIFE1911UIMG_0805__02466.1667950994.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster. Finally decided to pull the trigger & get a membership so I can participate in all the conversations instead of just sitting by listening.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon All. Thank you for having me.

Tony, 46yo, from San Antonio, TX. I've found this place to be a super helpful resource in my web scouring for knife information. Signed up to continue learning from the folks that know.

For decades I have given my friends and family nice knives as gifts. My younger brother collects, I've given him countless knives from Spyderco, ZT, Kershaw, MAC kitchen knives and several others. Two Fry Customs, including one made from the steel used by Jason on Forged in Fire, along with a personalized note. My best friend collects straight razors and I've gifted him several, plus a Fry fixed blade skinner. My Dad daily carries a Lone Wolf folder that I bought him over twenty years ago, cooks with a full set of Shun Premiere's and has many others from me over the years. Even a John Wayne case, lol. Gave my Stepdad a Spyderco Carribean Salt, black and yellow with an LC200N blade last Christmas.

I have three nice (for me) knives. All were gifts. A Spyderco Chaparral, SOG Ultra XR (worn out and floppy) and a little handmade staghorn job from Mexico. These have all been daily drivers for the last three or so years.

Had an unspent gift card from my Birthday two years ago, and last week, figured I'd finally get myself a decent knife. Landed on a BM CLA 4300BK-03. So far, so good. I like my tools to be and look well used, so no safe queens for now, but I'm sure that will change.

Next I'm eyeballing a Mini Bugout, BM 535-3. Something slicier and light for daily and making the CLA a weekender for now. After that, I'm leaning towards a few Protechs. Imagine it will take years to figure out what's me, because I've tried so few.

That's my knife story, past, present and future.

Please forgive me for any new guy mistakes, feel free to call them out promtly. Say the word if I can be of any help or assistance outside of knife knowledge (for now, because I'm ignorant on the subject).

Thanks again!

Hello! Welcome to the board. Nice to meet you.

Love my Chaparral, smoothest backlock I own besides the old school semi custom Spydie Kopa!

The Bugout is okay, but what are you looking for mainly from the new knife? Do you have a role to fill or do you just like that one?
Would totally recommend a Native 5, lots of good steels and stout backlock. Just a notch thicker than the MBG but has a swedge for thinness. Dragonfly, Microjimbo perhaps?

Last edited:
Back