NEW MEMBER THREAD! If you're new to the forum post it here.

Welcome to the forum. And a happy new year!

Hauke, Schmiedeglut...German roots? :)

Last edited:
New member here from northern Michigan. I’ve recently started a small knife collection and am really enjoying this forum. Yesterday I ordered myself a late Christmas present, a Hinderer XM 18 3.5. Very excited to get my first Hinderer. Other than that I have a handful of Spydercos, two Kabars, an old Case folder, and a Gladstone Marbles.

Hello again ,
I'm new again , was on here a few years back ...looking forward to figuring out how it works again .
I'm a hobby knife maker and also do leatherwork, sheaths etc
Currently trying to settle on a logo for my knives .
I've been making friction folders mostly as I try to learn and perfect my techniques.
Hopefully one day I'll make slipjoints and then move on to back locks .
I'd love to learn how to sell stuff though here .
Looking forward to being part of the community!!
Happy new year !!

And a happy new year to you as well! That’s correct. I’m originally from Germany and moved to Canada 23 years ago. I was born in Siberia though, but my parents left the godforsaken Soviet Union when I was fairly young and moved to Germany. In the late 17 hundreds a bunch of Germans left Germany and moved to whats now southern Ukraine and southwest Russia, after the tsar’s wife (Kathrine the Great) convinced her husband to offer German farmers land and sometimes a bit of life stock there. Fast forward to 1942 and the German Wehrmacht was pushing deeper and deeper into Russia and Stalin was worried about those Russians with German ancestry and decided to “move” them all to gulags in Siberia (and sometimes Kazakhstan). When that parinoid piece of …. Finally croaked the rules got loosened a bit and non political, or violent prisoners were released from the gulags. My great grandparents and grandparents were amongst those that obviously totally mistrusted the Soviet government and they settled in a remote location in Siberia, near lake Baikal to be precise. They joined other families they met in the gulag who together moved there and built a little community of some 70 aught inhabitants. The ground was fertile, well as fertile as the taiga can be, there was excellent water, lots and lots of good timber a wide variety of game. But now I won’t bore you with this little historical speech anymore lol.
Needless to say for a kid that didn’t grasp the political situation it was paradise to grow up there. I was not happy with the move to Germany and left for Canada as soon as I had finished my apprenticeship and a stint in the military. As I got older I was obviously super grateful to my family for leaving Russia when they did.

Hello again ,
I'm new again , was on here a few years back ...looking forward to figuring out how it works again .
I'm a hobby knife maker and also do leatherwork, sheaths etc
Currently trying to settle on a logo for my knives .
I've been making friction folders mostly as I try to learn and perfect my techniques.
Hopefully one day I'll make slipjoints and then move on to back locks .
I'd love to learn how to sell stuff though here .
Looking forward to being part of the community!!
Happy new year !!
Depending on how long ago you were a member, you may notice that the software used by BF has changed. The old system was no longer supported. There are some differences.

Here's a good place for budding knife makers to hang out:

Wow, what a journey. Thanks for sharing this, I for one found it quite interesting.

Parker

I accidentally introduced myself in the wrong category a . So I figured I’ll do it over and this time in the correct category.

Hello folks. New member here. My name is Hauke and I’m from the Yukon Territory (northern Canada). While not new to knifes and sharpening, I’m nevertheless a bit green still, especially what sharpening is concerned. Since I live pretty remote, I don’t often rub shoulders with “knife connoisseurs” and fellow enthusiasts.
I’ve been reading this forum for a while now and finally joined. Let me tell you, I’m glad I did.

I started sharpening on my Kme and have gotten pretty good at it. I was always able to get my knifes just barely sharp enough for my, mostly bush, purposes but with the KME I’m getting shaving sharp results. I’m now working on getting better at hand sharpening. Anyways, looking forward to learning from you guys or just to “shoot the s..t”.

Thanks
Hauke

Thanks for sharing. Interesting story and a good historical lesson.

The journey from Siberia to Yukon Territory would have been a shorter one without the detour to Germany. ;)
Seems you found home.

Last edited:
That’s for sure. Gotta stay sane somehow, considering there’s 85 million people and barely bigger than Montana 😉

So, I just wanted to say thanks to the warm welcome and replies I already got so far. I’ve been here for merely a week and I’m already having this “Yup, I think I landed at the right spot” feeling. Friendly and knowledgeable bunch a guys here. Learning a bunch too.

Hauke

Hello,

I am new to this whole world.

Of course I have had a "pocket knife" as I called them or two, for years, they were almost always just use for opening boxes.

I have a memory of when I got my "knife permit" in Cubs (scouts for slightly younger kids), the simple test was carving a bar of soap into something without getting hurt, I made a boat and got my permit, the couple kids that hurt themselves did not, and then was officially allowed to carry a knife on scout owned property.

I recently got into swords, and have one sword that skirts the line between sword and knife, being the WIndlass D-Guard Bowie Knife, a reproduction of the popular confederate tool/weapon used by confederate soldiers during the American civil war. It's essentially a gigantic bowie knife, but could also be seen as a small sword.

Anyways, expect many questions from me, like the one I posted in the "Canadian Connection".

That’s for sure. Gotta stay sane somehow, considering there’s 85 million people and barely bigger than Montana 😉
Hello from Germany :)
Fair to say, I live in small town, with nice country side and many creatures around me (countless Deers, Boars, Foxes, some Wolfs and many cows and pigs) i have seen them all :)
We have some nice Forests here.
And the next big city is not so far away, ideal conditions for me.

I am Interested in knives since I was a child.
Granddad told me „a more correct man has everytime a knife in his pocket„
So i am into knives and also Flashlights, bought about over 400 the past 10 Years, (yes I have a list…) and sold 380…
I am a little bit pragmatic with knives and flashlights.
If I don’t use them, then they will be sold…
I try to have only one specific knife in each category, to find the best for me.

So I hope my English is well enough…

To see which flavour for knives I have, here is my list at this time:

Fox Vulpis Carbon M390
Mkm Malga 5 Magnacut
Swisschamp
Minichamp
Vic Cheeseknife
Opinel No8 with Camping Kit
Opinel Slim No10
Oknive Sentry R1
Vic Spirit XBS
Buck 110 (1996)
UKPK LC200N OD green Micarta Scales and washers
WE Banter green Micarta
Martiini Filet Knife
Knafs Lulu Magnacut Convex
Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter S90V thinner grind
Bark River Micro Canadian 3V
Fällkniven F1X Elmax
Cold Steel SRK SK5 Satin with Secondary convex
Esee 6
Ontario SP-8 with Convex Bevel

Hello from Germany :)
Fair to say, I live in small town, with nice country side and many creatures around me (countless Deers, Boars, Foxes, some Wolfs and many cows and pigs) i have seen them all :)
We have some nice Forests here.
And the next big city is not so far away, ideal conditions for me.

I am Interested in knives since I was a child.
Granddad told me „a more correct man has everytime a knife in his pocket„
So i am into knives and also Flashlights, bought about over 400 the past 10 Years, (yes I have a list…) and sold 380…
I am a little bit pragmatic with knives and flashlights.
If I don’t use them, then they will be sold…
I try to have only one specific knife in each category, to find the best for me.

So I hope my English is well enough…

To see which flavour for knives I have, here is my list at this time:

Fox Vulpis Carbon M390
Mkm Malga 5 Magnacut
Swisschamp
Minichamp
Vic Cheeseknife
Opinel No8 with Camping Kit
Opinel Slim No10
Oknive Sentry R1
Vic Spirit XBS
Buck 110 (1996)
UKPK LC200N OD green Micarta Scales and washers
WE Banter green Micarta
Martiini Filet Knife
Knafs Lulu Magnacut Convex
Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter S90V thinner grind
Bark River Micro Canadian 3V
Fällkniven F1X Elmax
Cold Steel SRK SK5 Satin with Secondary convex
Esee 6
Ontario SP-8 with Convex Bevel
Well, Moin Moin! Greetings from Canada’s Yukon Territory and welcome to BF. Those are some nice blades you got there.
I will be in Germany in a couple weeks as well. I’ll be visiting family and this time stick around for a couple months or so. As long as I’m back for this year’s guiding season.
Most of my family still lives in good old Germany. They too live in a small village surrounded by the woods and lots of game too.
I lived there as well for about 11 years, but moved to canada 22 years ago. I like Germany though.
Verzeihung, I didn’t mean any disrespect by my post. I was just joking around.

Lieben Gruß
Hauke

Thank you, that „Moin, Moin“ and „Hauke“ tells me, your origin is North Germany.
And that is pretty much the same area as I live :)
I could bet, your origin is between my fathers home and mine :)

Gruss zurück
Greetings back in English :)

Last edited:
Thank you, that „Moin, Moin“ and „Hauke“ tells me, your origin is North Germany.
And that is pretty much the same area as I live :)
I could bet, your origin is between my fathers home and mine :)

Gruss zurück
Greetings back in English :)
Yup. Originally from Köhlen. Small village about 30min from Bremerhaven

I was 12 Miles off with my bet:
„Between my fathers home and my home“

Nice to meet you

Back