NEW MEMBER THREAD! If you're new to the forum post it here.

I love the CLA - that variant is Nice đź‘Ť

Thanks man! So far, so good with her.

I've seen this one take a bath on the interwebs. Retail is too high, white will get dirty, why did they coat the magnacut blade, etc..

Retail is high but the actual price was extremely reasonable to me. Im good with dirty but uniqueish and the coating doesn't hurt my feelings any. :)

As much as I dig the CLA, and that's plenty. This little rascal really has my attention at the moment. Aluminum isn't normally my gig but these guys really know how to do it. Must have more PT's.

2725a0658e05bf94ddb2048dfe1d6c7c.jpg

Hi all , first post. A little late...but why not đź« 
Have been a fan of the forum and looking forward to more active buying and selling here.
For fun ,dug up some old old benchmades and snapped a pic. These knives started my blade addiction years ago,
Cheers,

benchmade afck.jpg

Hello, newbie here with a fairly small collection (compared to experienced members anyway) and I just really appreciate the different designs that are available. Though I have a few with premium steel at this point I've come to the conclusion that except for a select few I think I'll just have to get the lower end budget versions but still enjoy the aesthetic, ergo etc. of all this creativity that's out there. Judging by the number of sub-forums here it looks like I have barely tapped into this world.

Hello, newbie here with a fairly small collection (compared to experienced members anyway) and I just really appreciate the different designs that are available. Though I have a few with premium steel at this point I've come to the conclusion that except for a select few I think I'll just have to get the lower end budget versions but still enjoy the aesthetic, ergo etc. of all this creativity that's out there. Judging by the number of sub-forums here it looks like I have barely tapped into this world.
A wise approach. The blade steel alloy is only part of a successful design. Blade geometry has more impact on cutting performance than steel alloy does. And cutting performance does not matter if the ergonomics of the handle are off.

Hey everyone, just joined from SE Pennsylvania - happy to be here. I’ve been around on another well known bushcrafty forum for a while - but have been bitten by the spyderco bug, so alas, here I am. I have read the rules and am ready to get goin. 🤙

Hello all. New member here from the Great State of Texas!! Over the last few years, most of my knife questions via web search, has brought me to this forum.

I’ve learned a lot from members here and hope to maybe do the same for someone else less knowledgeable than me.

I wouldn’t consider myself a “collector” until about 2015, when I began my Case Knife adventure, focusing on all the sizes of Stockmans and Trappers.

Before that, I had a few others acquired in my youth and into adulthood from Schrade, Cold Steel, Ka Bar, and of course, Case. (My parents owned a Western Auto Store from 1968-1998 and we stocked the knife brands mentioned above. As a teenager with a job, and knives to be had at store cost, I bought a few, although looking back, I wish I would have bought more!).

Since starting my “real collector” phase in 2015, I have also recently added knives from Esee, Gerber, Benchmade and Ontario Knife Company RAT 1 and RAT 2.

It helps justify my purchases when my wife, my 16 and 18 year old boys and my 11 year old daughter enjoy collecting knives as well! We all have an obsession!

I have read the rules as asked. Thank you for having me on this forum.

Cody

Hey y'all

Been carrying a S&W tanto since high school and ended up processing more cardboard at work and the bad geometry on it was hurting my wrists. I don't carry my knife in a pocket, so I like a large size, and I sorta like a knife to weigh a lot, as I know it's with me or not just by picking up my bag. Picked up a kizer sheepdog XL and I never took it out of the house. Nice weight but doesn't seem droppable like a soft steel cheapie. Ended up getting a Begleiter XL and that's been cutting great. Trying to peek my head into the hobby to find my ride or die knife, without going too crazy.

Hello folks. New member here. My name is Hauke and I’m from the Yukon Territory (northern Canada). While not new to knifes and sharpening, I’m nevertheless a bit green still, especially what sharpening is concerned. Since I live pretty remote, I don’t often rub shoulder with “knife connoisseurs” and fellow enthusiasts.
I’ve been reading this forum for a while now and finally joined. I started on my Kme and have gotten pretty good at it. I was always able to get my knifes just barely sharp enough for my, mostly bush, purposes but with the KME I’m getting shaving sharp results. I’m now working on getting better at hand sharpening. Anyways, looking forward to learning from you guys or just to “shoot the s..t”.

Thanks
Hauke

Welcome Hauke. The Yukon must be beautiful in the winter.
I am a freehand sharpener and all my edges end up microconvexed.

Welcome to the forums. Lots of knowledge folk around here. And lots of sweet knives. Enjoy.

Welcome! Please share pics of some of your knives when you get a chance. We love pics around here.

Welcome Hauke. The Yukon must be beautiful in the winter.
I am a freehand sharpener and all my edges end up microconvexed.
Thanks kobold. Yes, it’s definitely a beautiful place, imho. At least when it’s not -40 or colder. Although, even those temperatures can bring out a certain beauty. I’m trying my hand at freehand sharpening (pun intended). The results are poor so far, but with practice I’m hoping to get better at it. I have a Kme and treated myself to a used but mint Kadet pro for Christmas. I’m hoping mastering freehand will bring its own satisfaction though. Time will tell.

I’m not quite sure yet where you would usually post this so I will start a new thread under general knife discussions or traditional folder and fixed blades?
Here is a picture of some my favourite knives so far:

(From left to right)
- Damascus hunting knife made by a Knifemaker from Germany his business is called “Schmiedeglut”. I got the blade from him (61-62HRB) and made the handle/scales myself.
This is probably my favourite knife. It holds an edge well and I can get it super sharp.
- Karesuando Scandi knife. It came with a flat grind bevel for some reason, may be cause it’s easier to sharpen? I’d really like to try my hand on a Scandi grind eventually, though.
- Al Mar “Eagle” honey jig bone in Aus 8. Nothing fancy but I can get this scary sharp.
- Giantmouse “Nazca” in M390. I wasn’t sure about getting it at first. Once I found out that it wasn’t made by Reate, but instead by Bestech. Now I’m glad I got it though. It’s a really nice knife and the heat treat must’ve been done correctly, since it sharpens nicely and holds an edge pretty long.
- Böker Plus “Urban Trapper” in VG10. Nothing fancy. I use it mostly for little stuff around the cabin.
- Lionsteel “Bestman 2” Slipjoint in M390. So far so good. May be not quite hard as, and looses an edge just a smidge sooner than the “Nazca”

Attachments

• 05069A41-16BC-499F-80D7-7FF5B128CAC1.jpeg
    05069A41-16BC-499F-80D7-7FF5B128CAC1.jpeg
    932 KB · Views: 2
A close up of the Damascus. Blade made by Schmiedeglut. Homemade Handle and Sheath

Attachments

• 4371F5F5-8CD0-4549-8579-8C54A1FD251E.jpeg
    4371F5F5-8CD0-4549-8579-8C54A1FD251E.jpeg
    764.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 7AB18110-53DE-4D76-9A16-8161E0A8592D.jpeg
    7AB18110-53DE-4D76-9A16-8161E0A8592D.jpeg
    892.8 KB · Views: 3
Back