Off Topic Ninja's kinda legit??

Re the straight 'ninja sword,' this POV also makes sense:
'Seeing as how the ninja agent had to disguise himself in order to fit in with the environment around them, the wearing and usage of a weapon that was distinctive - and one that would label the bearer a 'ninja' - would not be conducive to their mission at best, and would most likely result in the operative being identified, captured, and dealt with.'

Re the straight 'ninja sword,' this POV also makes sense:
'Seeing as how the ninja agent had to disguise himself in order to fit in with the environment around them, the wearing and usage of a weapon that was distinctive - and one that would label the bearer a 'ninja' - would not be conducive to their mission at best, and would most likely result in the operative being identified, captured, and dealt with.'

Well it's not like the ninja is just walking around with a square-guard sword on his back in broad daylight, any more than say, a CIA spy would be walking around in China with an AR15 painted like an American flag slung over his shoulder. :D Ninjas only brought out their ninja swords when needed, perhaps during a night time assault or raid. During the ninja heyday the authorities would likely not have even known it to be a a sword model specifically associated with ninjas, had they captured one of the swords.

Even if they were about to get captured, they probably had others things up their sleeves or elsewhere. Blinding powder for a quick getaway, I understand from the above links.
Ninja lapel daggers maybe. If they had lapels, that is.

A lot of it could come from the stories told by the guards later. "Yes I know the official everyone hated was assassinated. The assassin was like a ghost, he blinded me, and ran away across the lake. Yes it sounds unbelievable, but how could I stop something like that. See, he even wounded me, and I wounded him, and I have his sword!" If there is a mythology already, might just work.

Even if they were about to get captured, they probably had others things up their sleeves or elsewhere. Blinding powder for a quick getaway, I understand from the above links.
Ninja lapel daggers maybe. If they had lapels, that is.

And ninja smoke bombs.

YeIKNPr.gif

Doesnt seem like something, which would get the OSHA nod of approval.

Everything fun gets rejected by OSHA. They're the fun police. Since OSHA disapproves of all things ninja, it follows that ninjas, ninja gear, and ninja tactics are extremely fun.

By denying ninjas and ninja things, Reptaronice1 essentially becomes an agent of OSHA, and a destroyer of fun.

Well, there is that legend of the Greenday roadie who committed seppuku with a mic stand.... I pretty much only did corporate, almost had to run a new mic lead under a stage during a presentation, but we ended up not needing it. I've done some interesting crawls behind rear projection screens. I've certainly referred to other techs as stage ninjas due to their ability to seem to will themselves into being invisible. I did one theater event that needed an on-stage set change and we did full masks, best part was getting bumped into by the talent while standing in front of the drape. The true art of the ninja is being invisible in plain sight, sometimes that's wearing black, sometimes its not.
Man, I always got stuck going under the stage. It was the side-effect of being the thinnest guy on the crew who was strong enough to either brachiate or low-crawl pulling feeder cable. I was also the only guy who always had a multi-tool and a knife...... If I had charged the others for every time they needed my gear to cut some tie line, I wouldn't have had to work those monster shifts.

Everything fun gets rejected by OSHA. They're the fun police. Since OSHA disapproves of all things ninja, it follows that ninjas, ninja gear, and ninja tactics are extremely fun.

Thats the way it is; if its fun, its either illegal or unhealthy.

By denying ninjas and ninja things, Reptaronice1 essentially becomes an agent of OSHA, and a destroyer of fun.
Henceforth known as 'Destroyer of Fun1'

Last edited:
Man, I always got stuck going under the stage. It was the side-effect of being the thinnest guy on the crew who was strong enough to either brachiate or low-crawl pulling feeder cable. I was also the only guy who always had a multi-tool and a knife...... If I had charged the others for every time they needed my gear to cut some tie line, I wouldn't have had to work those monster shifts.
I know that feel, thankfully I worked for guys who didn't call back anyone who didn't bring tools, so not that problem, but yeah, spent a lot of time under the deck.

No no im not denying them XD im just saying that the view isnt all right accurate. I actually like the black masks and such, I think they r cool but not always traditional. Back in the time a ninja may have (Not saying this for a fact) used shirasaya without the koshirae mounts because a straight katana in shirasaya could me used as a cane if you wanted and may not be detected. Since it was banned to carry exposed weapons unless you were government.

No no im not denying them XD im just saying that the view isnt all right accurate. I actually like the black masks and such, I think they r cool but not always traditional. Back in the time a ninja may have (Not saying this for a fact) used shirasaya without the koshirae mounts because a straight katana in shirasaya could me used as a cane if you wanted and may not be detected. Since it was banned to carry exposed weapons unless you were government.

Wrapping a furokishi over one's face for concealment is very traditional in Japan. o_O

You should visit the Iga and Koga ninja museums in Japan and also read Stephen K. Hays' ninja book about Masaaki Hatsumi before saying ninjas were simply mercenaries.

I feel like id probably do it wrong and end up suffocating myself.

Possibly.

But just for the record there were plenty of mercenary samurai and ronin samurai. Ninjas were not samurai, and in some ways were the opposite of a samurai.

Possibly.

But just for the record there were plenty of mercenary samurai and ronin samurai. Ninjas were not samurai, and in some ways were the opposite of a samurai.
Agreed 100% Rounin and mercenary samurai were usually just paid off to do a job or hired to fight. Ninja didnt have honor like the samurai did. They were pretty much the shady people. Although i have heard of rounin who turned into Ninjas type mercenary. A rounin usually had his master die and either wandered or converted to something else. (correct me if im wrong)

Agreed 100% Rounin and mercenary samurai were usually just paid off to do a job or hired to fight. Ninja didnt have honor like the samurai did. They were pretty much the shady people. Although i have heard of rounin who turned into Ninjas type mercenary. A rounin usually had his master die and either wandered or converted to something else. (correct me if im wrong)

Ninjas had honor, just not codified the same way as the samurai, who thought the ninja's unlimited methods of warfare were not honorable. Ieyasu Tokugawa's right hand man, the ninja Hattori Hanzō served him honorably, for example.

Back