Off Topic No such thing as a bad/ "evil" knife , if it works !

This "image problem" is about people who are misbehaving in public . It has NOTHING to do directly with the type of knife . Many people CC all manner of impressive , scary lethal weaponry without ever causing any public reaction ...because they keep their armament CONCEALED and act normal/respectful for the local social environment.

The problem is rude , aggressive , insane BEHAVIOR ...not the equipment !

Why is this simple truth so difficult to understand ? :confused:

I think because your assertion ignores a) cultural norms of decency and b) the cultural significance of aesthetics.

One can't argue that a plastic scrotum hanging off of a pickup truck's hitch has any purpose other than to offend. Aesthetically, it was designed to violate social norms, just as sure as Lady Gaga's meat dress was. There's just no way to "deploy" a plastic scrotum or a meat dress in public without being offensive.

The thing that makes a "tacticool" or "mall Ninja" knife what it is is precisely the fact that the intended design goal is to look scary. They belong in Spencer's Gifts for a reason. The same can be said for many fantasy knives.

It's ridiculous for a man to defend his truck's plastic scrotum as "Just a plastic decoration" and it's impossible for Lady Gaga to defend her meat dress as acceptable. It's just as silly to defend intentionally threatening looking knives as "just a tool". Nobody buys that line.

FWIW, my most carried knife of the past 2 years has been a Buck 110 and being the age I am, I fully appreciate the long association it has with biker gangs and that the clip point itself can appear scary. I'm more careful about it's deployment than I would be with an Opinel or large Sodbuster.

Last edited:
I try not to reinforce stereotypes with my choices with regard to knives I carry. Been carrying a three inch fixed blade vertically on my belt for the last week. If seen, it could reinforce a negative stereotype unintentionally. Just depends on who sees it I guess. It would work nicely with store packaged onion dip I guess.

Again, you are grasping part of the issue.

Let me try to clarify the simple part you are having difficulty understanding.

Say I'm at the family reunion, and I pull out this to open the onion dip...

sewZ6nn.jpg

It works. I'm not going to stab anybody with it.

Guess what? Makes me, and you, and all of us, look like either psychos, overcompensators, or adolescent teen boys.

I'm sorry, but that's what the looks are about. It's reinforcing the stereotypes.

If I pulled out no knife at all or a stockman or many, many other knives, or the icepick we were using to break up bags of ice, to open the delicious onion dip? No problem.
Yes , but it's still NOT the knife . If you pulled out a garden spade for the dip , it would be just as insane .

Behavior in context is the entire problem . Even the most outlandish Zombie fighting equipment is perfectly OK in the proper context of a gathering of like minded Zombie fighters .

Lots of people own swords and all kinds of military reenactment hardware and use them to have great fun ...in the acceptable environments . Just don't come to the non-enthusiast gathering with your katana and open the dip ! :rolleyes:

Yes , but it's still NOT the knife . If you pulled out a garden spade for the dip , it would be just as insane .

Behavior in context is the entire problem . Even the most outlandish Zombie fighting equipment is perfectly OK in the proper context of a gathering of like minded Zombie fighters .

Lots of people own swords and all kinds of military reenactment hardware and use them to have great fun ...in the acceptable environments . Just don't come to the non-enthusiast gathering with your katana and open the dip ! :rolleyes:
I accept your point and many of us agree I think. Context is important. But the garden spade might not be viewed as anything other than insane as opposed to scary. Walking into a gun show from the parking lot with an AR on your shoulder is probably okay for that environment, but would be viewed very negatively in a normal environment with people around.

Closer.

Opening onion dip with blood spatter Brous....insane.
Opening onion dip with stockman....not insane.

Context and action is the same, only the tool changes.
That's what I am talking about.

Running around reunion with stockman or plastic spoon going "Wushaaa!"...insane.
That's the part you are talking about, and I agree with that also. A nut is a nut.

Opening onion dip with garden spade...perfectly logical if you love onion dip as much as I do.

Walmart sells a very good onion dip by the way at about half the price of the name brands. You don't even need a knife to open it.

I think I mistakenly associated marcinek with regular 110 carry when it is more a pinnah thing earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
I think because your assertion ignores a) cultural norms of decency and b) the cultural significance of aesthetics.

One can't argue that a plastic scrotum hanging off of a pickup truck's hitch has any purpose other than to offend. Aesthetically, it was designed to violate social norms, just as sure as Lady Gaga's meat dress was. There's just no way to "deploy" a plastic scrotum or a meat dress in public without being offensive.

The thing that makes a "tacticool" or "mall Ninja" knife what it is is precisely the fact that the intended design goal is to look scary. They belong in Spencer's Gifts for a reason. The same can be said for many fantasy knives.

It's ridiculous for a man to defend his truck's plastic scrotum as "Just a plastic decoration" and it's impossible for Lady Gaga to defend her meat dress as acceptable. It's just as silly to defend intentionally threatening looking knives as "just a tool". Nobody buys that line.

FWIW, my most carried knife of the past 2 years has been a Buck 110 and being the age I am, I fully appreciate the long association it has with biker gangs and that the clip point itself can appear scary. I'm more careful about it's deployment than I would be with an Opinel or large Sodbuster.
It's still the behavior not the stuff ! Plenty of people own the same exact stuff with no problem .

People can responsibly use fireworks to celebrate in a safe manner . Or they can stick them in their butts ! It's behavior not stuff . :rolleyes:

That gives "Light my fire" a whole new meaning. You know of course that many fireworks are illegal to even own in some states.

And they will do that why? I carry a SAK. Nobody thinks its scary. Maybe I'm using it wrong.

I watched a video of a stabbing in Britain.
The guy used a non-locking SAK, and stabbed the victim right in the heart.

You are obviously just carrying a potential murder weapon, based on this data point...

It's still the behavior not the stuff ! Plenty of people own the same exact stuff with no problem .

People can responsibly use fireworks to celebrate in a safe manner . Or they can stick them in their butts ! It's behavior not stuff . :rolleyes:

Opening onion dip by pulling off the plastic....not insane.
Opening onion dip using an M-80...insane.

Same action, different stuff.

Setting off an M-80 in an area safely away from people and yourself....not insane
Setting off an M-80 in a city bus...insane.

Same stuff, different action.

I watched a video of a stabbing in Britain.
The guy used a non-locking SAK, and stabbed the victim right in the heart.

You are obviously just carrying a potential murder weapon, based on this data point...
I wonder if the perp used any other tools? ;) Any knife can be used for what I consider to be evil reasons. I guy locally killed another (with a 25 Cal pistol) because he said the dead person had demons. Maybe the person stabbed with the SAK had a demon too. SAK = demon killer.

I wonder if the perp used any other tools? ;) Any knife can be used for what I consider to be evil reasons. I guy locally killed another (with a 25 Cal pistol) because he said the dead person had demons. Maybe the person with the SAK had a demon too.

"Demons" is always a great answer when in doubt.
Demons are probably also to blame for all HRC readings we don't like. ;)

"Demons" is always a great answer when in doubt.
Demons are probably also to blame for all HRC readings we don't like. ;)
I suspect the police didn't believe him as he is in jail with a 1.5 million dollar bail set. Not getting out.... I twisted my statement that you quoted around a little about the demon killing.

I suspect the police didn't believe him as he is in jail with a 1.5 million dollar bail set. Not getting out.... I twisted my statement that you quoted around a little about the demon killing.

Damned editing feature...probably invented by demons. :mad:

Back