No Vacation! Starring Snark W. Griswold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I broke the snark, oops.

We got a ton of rain yesterday in WA, hope everybody else with fire troubles got part of the rain yesterday. It's been pretty calm over here compared to a few weeks ago.

I could use some rain. Had a 2.5 gallon bucket of 41% glyphos rupture in the bed of my truck yesterday. Need to rinse it out.
Also, the oats, clover, and turnips I planted last week as deer forage could use some moisture.

Its dumping rain today hopefully its enough so that the road going into the mountains (410) open back up. We are planning a camping trip out there in a couple weeks and will be bummed if we cant.

You headed up and over Chinook or staying on this side of the pass?

I might be headed to the Skate Creek area a couple weeks from now for some backpack camping, if 410 is still closed that is. If it opens up we might head up FS71 and explore up there a bit.

Maybe 45 minutes over the pass. Our turn off is just before whistlin’ jacks.

im not too familiar with skate creek. My wife and/or her dad probably know more about it. I havent got to do any backpack camping since ive been in this state (2 yrs). Now with a 9 month old and the all my hiking buddies are all on the east coast i dont know when ill get another chance. Im much more familiar with the appalachians than these mountains.

Just don't forget the BK4 huntin' boomerang. Suppose the BK21 version might take down bigger game.

Maybe 45 minutes over the pass. Our turn off is just before whistlin’ jacks.

im not too familiar with skate creek. My wife and/or her dad probably know more about it. I havent got to do any backpack camping since ive been in this state (2 yrs). Now with a 9 month old and the all my hiking buddies are all on the east coast i dont know when ill get another chance. Im much more familiar with the appalachians than these mountains.

Skate Creek hwy is found near the SW corner of Mt Rainier NP, and runs southeast to Packwood through a bunch of national forest land. There aren't many official trails or anything along there but there's plenty of fire roads that branch off from the main hwy and my camping crew usually just head to one of those fire roads and hike into the woods for a bit before setting up camp. The road feels like a smaller version of 410 with all those fire roads branching off of it, and is less populated or frequented than the state route.

after a super wet period (month +), and a week long cold snap, i'd say Fall fell, leaves car ch-ch-ch-changing...

i put out water in birb baths - each hold about a gallon. seems we hit a dry spell, and the only source of water within a few many hundred yards is my place. the birds are hitting it. such birds as i don't normally see. the squirrels are hoovering it down - they're like camels - they load up. even chipmunks - it's rare for me to see those guys drink from a container. mmm... state wide announcement on limited using of fires, and probably a water ban - even for wells might happen.

Skate Creek hwy is found near the SW corner of Mt Rainier NP, and runs southeast to Packwood through a bunch of national forest land. There aren't many official trails or anything along there but there's plenty of fire roads that branch off from the main hwy and my camping crew usually just head to one of those fire roads and hike into the woods for a bit before setting up camp. The road feels like a smaller version of 410 with all those fire roads branching off of it, and is less populated or frequented than the state route.

I was just looking at alternate routes aside for i90. Looks like i can take meridian to route 7 to 706 to skate creek. 2 hr 40 min. To my camp. Pretty close to the same amount of time taking 410.

I was just looking at alternate routes aside for i90. Looks like i can take meridian to route 7 to 706 to skate creek. 2 hr 40 min. To my camp. Pretty close to the same amount of time taking 410.

If you’re coming from Tacoma that’s probably your fastest route, otherwise you’re heading down I5 past Chehalis to US12. You might be able to take 7 all the way to Morton to connect with 12 to head over white pass, that might be faster than skate creek.

Im coming from puyallup but up on the hill. So more like southhill. This route has me taking 161 to eatonville. We are going up the weekend of the 10th so im really hoping 410 is open by then.

it was 93 yesterday when I was out hiking.
today's high is 68 - it's been 68 since 5 AM and the rain just started.
probably not going to do much outside today.

on another happy front - NOAA is already posting up frost warnings for Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back