1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Not enough love for the Gayle Bradley 2

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by timbo813, May 3, 2017.

1. Djulbert

Djulbert

Aug 2, 2016
    I just got a GB2 last week. Haven't got to carry it much yet. I removed just a little bit of material from the scale to be able to release the lock easier, made a huge difference. It has more of an old time traditional feel to it compared to the PM2, Manix and Griptilian that I normally carry. I'm going to carry it for a while and see how I like using it. I use my knives pretty hard at work, some would probably call it abuse. I love the blade shape. If I could have this blade in a Manix handle I would be in love

2. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Love to know how and what you removed to make the lock easier on the old thumb ?

3. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    @sfrigon1 Search for Gayle Bradley mods. Lots of info available. Or send me an email at [email protected]
    I have a short writeup and pictures of how I did it if you want.

4. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Thx T u the man

5. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Hey so I took a Dremel to the side of the scale w the lock . And it looks great and functions even better . I was really bothered by how hard it was to close so this was much needed thx for the tips everyone !

GB940Rookie likes this.
  6. Djulbert

Djulbert

Aug 2, 2016
    I think it really makes a huge difference in enjoying this knife. Not that it's bad the way it comes, I just like it better with a little better lock access.

7. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Yup , I'm a person who is constantly flipping and fondling my knives so it made a huge difference. The lock was really good how it was but not if you open and close it 100 times a day

8. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Glad you got it just right

sfrigon1 likes this.
  9. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I'm sure Sal and Gayle are rubbing their foreheads over this mod, but doggone it... I think it makes all the difference on this knife from me selling it and passing it along, to keeping it for the long haul!

sfrigon1 likes this.
  10. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    For the record, I'm in favor of the original design but I like to see everyone happy. If you want the mod, this knife is well worth the effort.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    sfrigon1 likes this.
  11. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    This knife is God dam amazing. So smooth and soo solid ! The slight mod made a huge difference. I would love to see some sprints. Maybe maxamet with a compression lock ? It could potentially rival my all-time favourite manix2

12. Blade1LE

Blade1LE

Jun 21, 2017
    I don't own a Gayle Bradley but i have a Sage 1 and Sage 3. Something about spyderco's with carbon fiber just looks too good to me. It's a perfect match the spydey hole and the carbon fiber just pops!

TRfromMT likes this.
  13. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I was holding out for the Shaman but then I clicked on this thread. D'oh! GB2 in bound.

14. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Hopefully this will help until you get it
    [​IMG]

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the Slysz Bowie and GB2 when you've had a chance to carry it for a bit. I ended up passing on the Bowie because of the semi hooked rear of the handle. Both are Tai Chung sweet.

sfrigon1 and kniferbro like this.
  15. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Seems like the liner lock debate is about the only real hurdle this knife has.

When I was a boy I was using a fairly small traditional with a fairly thin liner lock (which I thought was the bee's knees, my first locking folder) and was digging a small hole in a piece of wood when I twisted the knife a little, releasing the lock and folding the blade onto my fingers. Ouch. I think it was the first time I realized how dangerous a knife could be to the user.

This is why I appreciate the design of GB locks. Best liner lock I've personally encountered. Gayle Bradley knows how to design a working liner lock.

Kels73 and kniferbro like this.
  16. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I'll be sure to share them with ya! I've had the GB1 on multiple occasions and liked it, hopefully the 2 is even better! My Bowie is down and out... me being dumb and getting too comfortable with her :oops:... We will see how this fares as a replacement ;)

17. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    You'll probably find the GB2 to be a little better as an EDC over the GB1.

No disrespect to the GB1, you wood carvin' mutha:cool:
    [​IMG]

18. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    That's good to hear! She's waiting at the house now... just gotta get through the afternoon :eek:

sfrigon1 likes this.
  19. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Anyone tried a forced patina w the m4 ? I'm definitely interested in doing it but just wanted to make sure it was possible

20. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Definitely possible. Run a search and you should find two or three threads on the subject.