Off Topic Not even a snark-wide pandemic can keep us down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You making them for a psk?

I found a coffee cup, that reminded me of my 95 year old father in law, who fought in WWII, 101st Airborne, including the Battle of the Bulge. He's a little Italian guy. He's been very good to me, so I got it for him. Been waiting a few weeks to get it. Here's what I ordered:

And here's what they sent me:

EFF.
Wow! Just wow! :thumbsdown:

I made 3 snares this morning that are close to store bought. I bought aircraft cable . Everything else is from stuff I have laying around
drill a hole in a piece of 1/8 or 3/16 flat stock, stick an 8p nail through it and curl the nail, then curl the strap?
or 2 pieces of strap, drilled, with a #8x32 screw and a nylock nut holding them together?

Anyone here own and operate a pico projector? Have been interested in one for quite some time. They're a little pricey, but the technology has really improved over the years.

Damn Daiz. That's the last thing I wanted to read all night long LOL. But definitely some good info there.

I'm not really a folder guy.... But I see you guys talking about benchmades.... A couple years ago I bought an offbrand one. It was made by benchmade, but branded HK. It was pretty good, I use it as my edc. It's nothing fancy but it is D2 and has g10, and works.....best part since it was an off brand, it was Cheap. Maybe that's an affordable option for you?

And I agree about the pricing on Benchmade and quality folders in general. I'm lucky to get 30% off directly from Benchmade, but they're still not cheap.

I checked out a bugout in bass pro a couple weeks ago and liked it, but wasn't the biggest fan of the grivory... I think the G10 will improve on the only area that I think needed to be improved on as far as making it a perfect EDC folder for me.... I don't plan on buying multiples... But one. Sure.

A little whiskey tonight. Crown XO. Drank my last modelo. Then tried putting a good 17 degree edge on my birudashi on the opposite side of the chisel edge with diamond stones. That didnt work out so well. Started just rolling it over. Now i have a thick edge that wont cut crap. Damn you daizee daizee :D I need "warranty" work. That was obviously a manufacturer defect. LOL

Oh nooos!!
Well you can certainly send it to me and I'll set the edge bevels however you want.

The main bevel angle of the grind itself is like 10 degrees, IIRC. So that plus the back side at 20 will give you an effective edge geometry of 30 degrees, inclusive. Don't go lower than that on CPM154. 30-40 is the right range. You might have unwittingly created an edge at 45-50. One has to use a different frame of reference than the centerline of a symmetrically ground blade.

So if you want to sharpen the shiny side, you'll need to reset the backside bevel to something appropriate. It would take a little doing to re-center the edge bevels and make them relatively even.

That steel can develop a serious burr. Strop on something like this: https://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty-360-nail-finishing-buffer-prodid-1790022 (this one is 4-sided, and goes all the way to a polish grit. Many of these are too coarse)

Start with step 2 if the burr is serious, else start on 3 and go to 4.

Oh nooos!!
Well you can certainly send it to me and I'll set the edge bevels however you want.

The main bevel angle of the grind itself is like 10 degrees, IIRC. So that plus the back side at 20 will give you an effective edge geometry of 30 degrees, inclusive. Don't go lower than that on CPM154. 30-40 is the right range. You might have unwittingly created an edge at 45-50. One has to use a different frame of reference than the centerline of a symmetrically ground blade.

So if you want to sharpen the shiny side, you'll need to reset the backside bevel to something appropriate. It would take a little doing to re-center the edge bevels and make them relatively even.

That steel can develop a serious burr. Strop on something like this: https://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty-360-nail-finishing-buffer-prodid-1790022 (this one is 4-sided, and goes all the way to a polish grit. Many of these are too coarse)

Start with step 2 if the burr is serious, else start on 3 and go to 4.

Yeah man I wasn't even messing with the main 10 degree side, but the other side I was trying to get to 17 degrees... Apparently it didn't like it... Or I was too aggressive with it LOL

I was using a KME. Same thing I used to put edges on all 80 hex hawks. I started with a 50 grit diamond, to reset the edge, then moved all the way up to 1500 grit. Then stropped. The main side did have quite the burr... But I was tipsy.. and pretty sure I rolled the whole edge over. I haven't been back in the shop today to look at it better... I know once I finished it was duller than when I started :D

I used to have lots of those nail buffers. I bought like a 10 pack years ago and gave the wife half of them and kept the others... I'm sure I still have a couple around here somewhere. But at this point I'd need to start over with the edge. Maybe go 20 degrees and start at 300 grit.... 50 grit diamond doesn't play around LOL

I'll see if I can get it back shaving sharp... If not I'll send her to you and you can charge me a resharpen fee.

I remember the hex hawks. They were pretty dang cool.

On another note... I've had my KME for YEARS. And have used it literally hundreds of times with great success...

But now it's starting to not want to hold the stones in place anymore... And the wood piece on the stone holder falls off as well. I'm not really mad at it... I feel like I've gotten my money out of it over the years... And I'm sure if I contacted them they'd sell me just the stone holder piece and that would eliminate my issues... I'll likely reach out and see.

But I'm thinking about trying out the work sharp precision sharpener too... Very similar to the KME, but only $60 bucks... Granted, not as many grit options... But good enough for keeping EDC blades tuned up.

Anyone use that one here?

I remember the hex hawks. They were pretty dang cool.

Thanks man. I still occasionally get emails asking about them... After they were in blade magazine i got lots of interested people reaching out... At the point though I had made 80 and sold 72. 8 was kept for family... And after that I was tired of making them.

I designed a few more little miniatures, and a few knives... still have the notebook with the designs, and keep telling myself one day I'll bring them to life.. but I doubt it. I don't have the same connections, same interests, and nowadays there's 50 of everything I could imagine coming from China for 3 dollars a piece.

These days I just wanna fish too... Oh well. I had a one hit wonder for a little while LMAO

I remember you being glad after they were done, haha. I'm sure that was a ton of work.

The hex hawks were super cute!
Yeah, small is actually really hard to work with. And tons of the same thing... ugh.

If you wanna send the birudashi, just PM me for my address and mail 'er. No charge for basic spa treatments. I'll just wave it freehand on my Coarse EZ-Lap for a couple minutes, then the Fine, then strop-a-doodle-doo.

Last edited:
The forum is super slow to load tonight. At least, it is for me.

It seems like that happens often here. This forum does have a lot of traffic.

Been away for a while.
Missed you guys.
Your grandpa's coffee mug is killing me, Warrior.
Howโ€™s everybody holding up?

I lost my F-I-L middle of 2019, then my own dad April 2020. (Not Covid.)
Been hanging in there, working from home, keeping family close. Feel almost ready to face the world again.

Found my mother-in-lawโ€™s old spreader hidden in the back of a kitchen drawer. Wooden handle rotting away, and brass pins falling out.
Also a piece of her Corian countertop.

So I restored it into a keepsake, and useful tool, for the wife.

ixwTyw0h.jpg

rA9v3frh.jpg

ixwTyw0.jpg

E7h6UmUh.jpg

Did I manage to post the images right?

tjswarbrick tjswarbrick

Good to see you back around man, it has been some time. Sorry for your losses man.

Been away for a while.
Missed you guys.
Your grandpa's coffee mug is killing me, Warrior.
Howโ€™s everybody holding up?

I lost my F-I-L middle of 2019, then my own dad April 2020. (Not Covid.)
Been hanging in there, working from home, keeping family close. Feel almost ready to face the world again.

Found my mother-in-lawโ€™s old spreader hidden in the back of a kitchen drawer. Wooden handle rotting away, and brass pins falling out.
Also a piece of her Corian countertop.

So I restored it into a keepsake, and useful tool, for the wife.

ixwTyw0h.jpg

rA9v3frh.jpg

ixwTyw0.jpg

E7h6UmUh.jpg

Did I manage to post the images right?
I am sorry about your hard year and hope your fortune turns around.

You really made a beautiful keepsake! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back