Notice!! A Black Jack!!

I just received this knife a week or so ago, it's only been lightly carried into my desk job a time or two. No water exposure or anything like that. To the right of the shield there is a small... blemish. I was wondering if anyone else's 86 has something similar or if that's just my luck? There is also a streak of brown wood showing in the ebony on the back. I don't mind that though since I think it gives it character and is on pile side. Anyway, love the knife regardless, the spot isn't really too noticeable except under these fluorescent lights. The video at this link shows it the best. But I was just a bit bummed as this was my first foray into the more "premium" traditional knives. It came straight from an authorized dealer and wasn't marked as factory seconds at all. It wouldn't discourage me from getting another because as I said, I really do like it. Just sort of curious is all. Thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KgEjByAqHSH9seW49

I have noticed that Gabon Ebony no longer comes through the system in pure "Musical Instrument Grade Black" due to past wasteful harvesting!!
Brown streaks are typical, and it looks like you have a dot of "super-glue" on your front handle, maybe stabilizing a slight flaw! It should be marked "S" IMO.:rolleyes:
Very fine sandpaper might bring it closer to the wood's natural Gloss, but that is not without risk!!:eek: Other solutions are ; returning it; sending it to the factory; or living with it, and letting it wear in (maybe)!!
The only way of getting pure black handles these days is synthetics!!
I prefer wood, anyways!!!:)

I have noticed many knife users prefer single blades!! Many American and European knives have just one blade. In my working life, multiblades, Cattlemen, and Stockmen were ideal, because no matter what you did, you seemed to have a sharp blade left to use!!
But, we don't use quills, nor sharpen "nibs" anymore, and being more boomers are retired (some early!), I/we only need one carefully tended blade!! And of course singles render a knife lighter and slimmer!
Way to go, Joshua! If the knife fits, carry it!!:D

I have noticed many knife users prefer single blades!! Many American and European knives have just one blade. In my working life, multiblades, Cattlemen, and Stockmen were ideal, because no matter what you did, you seemed to have a sharp blade left to use!!
But, we don't use quills, nor sharpen "nibs" anymore, and being more boomers are retired (some early!), I/we only need one carefully tended blade!! And of course singles render a knife lighter and slimmer!
Way to go, Joshua! If the knife fits, carry it!!:D
Thanks Charlie. I wish I had more cause to use my knife, but I don’t whittle, hunt, or work in an environment where knives are the common tool. As a teacher, a “gentleman’s” knife suits my needs well. I cut food, paper, mail packages, and pencils mostly and so the single blade does everything I need with the added bonus of being lighter and comfier. It’s a great knife you’ve designed whether double or single.

waynorth waynorth I find that I use the secondary blade on these jacks, whether it’s your pen blade or the regular run’s coping blade, quite a bit. I have many single blade knives and yes, I can use that one blade for just about everything I need a pocket knife for throughout the day but I have never wished my jacks would turn into single blade knives.

I appreciate the extra versatility the jack offers by giving me the option for using a smaller blade. It has came in handy more than once where the larger main blade was a little oversized for the task.

waynorth waynorth I find that I use the secondary blade on these jacks, whether it’s your pen blade or the regular run’s coping blade, quite a bit. I have many single blade knives and yes, I can use that one blade for just about everything I need a pocket knife for throughout the day but I have never wished my jacks would turn into single blade knives.

I appreciate the extra versatility the jack offers by giving me the option for using a smaller blade. It has came in handy more than once where the larger main blade was a little oversized for the task.

Sounds like you use a knife to its fullest potential, Jake!!:thumbsup:
:cool::D

Message to its creator and its owners about the Black Jack I've sent to engrave it to Davide Steri.
Here are his words when he received it :
"Sono bellissimi e ben rifiniti", "spettacolari".

I'm not sure that needs to be translated :).

Â

And besides, he knows what he's talking about.

A very nice recognition of GEC's manufacturing quality.

[QUOTE:"Âchillepattada;
Message to its creator and its owners about the Black Jack I've sent to engrave it to Davide Steri.
Here are his words when he received it :
"Sono bellissimi e ben rifiniti", "spettacolari".

I'm not sure that needs to be translated :).

QUOTE]
Ah, Davide!!
Gratie Mille!!

I recently realized I still had one of these beauties sitting in the tube waiting for an owner. This one was going to a brothers-in-law or friend, but they all thought it was a little large. It looks like the new owner is going to be me. :):D:cool:
gZ2IDNT.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is still at Paul Hilborn's Place, I was going to receive the Knife when coming over for the Oregon Show- but that's all been cancelled now - Barry's SFO in there as well- as well as the latest Forum Knife - aaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhh!
My mother would tell me ive got a lot of patience.... because i never used any of it!!! Haha i hope you receive your knives soon and in good health sir

Back