"Old Knives"

Camillus Bone Jigging!!:eek: It's amazing how Camillus scaled the bone jigging on their fine pen knives to match the sizes!! They might have put more effort (note the rattail bolsters!) into these "gents" knives, than into their more utility models!! fine jig pen 1.jpg fine jig pen 2.jpg fine jig pen 3.jpg fine jig pen 4.jpg
I can't stop enjoying the workmanship that shows up in these old things!!:D

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with Campbellclanman, fantastic knives and jigged bone on those wonderful examples, waynorth!!!

Here is a knife that certainly belongs in the thread, "Made in Sheffield" 1830 - 1930 a golden age. But I am purposely putting it here to draw attention the the "Made in Sheffield" thread which doesn't get nearly the attention or foot traffic it should. I have gone through that thread from beginning to end several times and always notice something that I hadn't seen before. It's hard to state just how fantastic those fine old Sheffield knives were along with the incredible talent that went into producing them.

Enclosed is a "Thomas Renshaw & Son" four blade Senator model in the original case. According to Tweedale, Renshaw existed from circa 1841 to 1900 and used "Stand" as their trademark. They are listed in Tweedale's book as manufacturers of pen, pocket, sportsmen's, and rule knives. This particular example is quite a feast for the eyes and was certainly created by some of the best cutlers from the 1800s. Aside from the exceptional fit and finish, the knife has a gold-washed file-worked back spring and file-worked front sides of all blades. The coined liners, pearl handles, and nickel silver shield cap off this beautiful knife.

View attachment 1464309

View attachment 1464310

View attachment 1464311

View attachment 1464312

Absolutely agree with Campbellclanman, fantastic knives and jigged bone on those wonderful examples, waynorth!!!

Here is a knife that certainly belongs in the thread, "Made in Sheffield" 1830 - 1930 a golden age. But I am purposely putting it here to draw attention the the "Made in Sheffield" thread which doesn't get nearly the attention or foot traffic it should. I have gone through that thread from beginning to end several times and always notice something that I hadn't seen before. It's hard to state just how fantastic those fine old Sheffield knives were along with the incredible talent that went into producing them.

Enclosed is a "Thomas Renshaw & Son" four blade Senator model in the original case. According to Tweedale, Renshaw existed from circa 1841 to 1900 and used "Stand" as their trademark. They are listed in Tweedale's book as manufacturers of pen, pocket, sportsmen's, and rule knives. This particular example is quite a feast for the eyes and was certainly created by some of the best cutlers from the 1800s. Aside from the exceptional fit and finish, the knife has a gold-washed file-worked back spring and file-worked front sides of all blades. The coined liners, pearl handles, and nickel silver shield cap off this beautiful knife.

View attachment 1464309

View attachment 1464310

View attachment 1464311

View attachment 1464312

Exquisite work on that one!

Feast is totally correct Herder- just a Stunning Knife that backs up everything you say about the Sheffield Cutlery, what a beautiful Knife!

A little rough around the edges but rock solid! :)

24026974180_61625653d6_b_d.jpg

23954746949_4092c65419_b_d.jpg

That's a real nice one Ron my friend! - Gorgeous Bone that has been discussed more than a few times, if I remember correctly this "Divot Bone" predates Peach-seed ( I most probably have the name and dating completely wrong ), I wouldn't call that a little rough round the edges :)- more perfect for the Pocket - and also for display in a fine collection.

That's a real nice one Ron my friend! - Gorgeous Bone that has been discussed more than a few times, if I remember correctly this "Divot Bone" predates Peach-seed ( I most probably have the name and dating completely wrong ), I wouldn't call that a little rough round the edges :)- more perfect for the Pocket - and also for display in a fine collection.
Thanks Duncan! I am really not sure about the bone. It is beautiful, I do know that. You’re exactly right my friend. This knife is perfectly sound in every way and Perfect for the Pocket. :)

V.P., nice examples in the Wards and Ulster Girls Scout models.
waynorth, beautiful Winchester with very unique jigging.
Gevonovich, great old Cattaraugus, it looks like a knife my Grandfather would have carried.
Augie, wonderful Thomatson, and a name not often seen as you mentioned.

Here is a big old Ulster lock back hunter model with a folding guard. Most knives that have a folding guard are two piece construction, but a few companies offered folding guards that were one piece.
The one piece guard would have cost a bit more to produce, but it provided a stronger guard overall. Enclosed is a picture of the knife and a close up of the guard from the top down.

View attachment 1461303

View attachment 1461304

That is a beautiful Ulster lock back. The only other time I've seen the one piece guard is on the older Marbles folding hunter.

Thanks for the nice comments all on the Renshaw!!!
Half/Stop, nice old Scout camper model.
Beaver, thanks and yes, the Marbles had a one piece guard and I believe a Cattaraugus as well.

Rob, very nice NYKC Congress! Great pick bone:thumbsup: Is there any marking on the nail file pile side tang? What is the closed length? Thanks

Last edited:
Back