"Old Knives"

I was thinking of the staining as well. I do remember reading that early stainless was almost always marked as such, could it be that the pen blade is not stainless?

Beautiful Walden jack, pistonsandgears pistonsandgears !:thumbsup::thumbsup: I have found a newspaper article, from the Walden Citizen Herald and the Ithaca Journal, announcing the shut down of the Walden Knife factory on April 30, 1927.
the Walden Citizen Herald article is dated Apr 14, 1927 and the Ithaca Journal article is dated Apr 16, 1927

just edited: originally had the article dates as Aug, corrected them to Apr.

View attachment 1514364 View attachment 1514365

Pretty cool knife! In great shape too. Other than blade metallurgy it looks like a close cousin to this Crucible I picked up not too long ago.

Interesting knife and nice bone. Looks like a Winchester shield. Funny that Winchester is mentioned in the article danno50 danno50 posted. I would assume the pen is Stainless too? although it looks to have some staining??

I was thinking of the staining as well. I do remember reading that early stainless was almost always marked as such, could it be that the pen blade is not stainless?
Thanks for finding that newspaper article, some good information there. I think both blades are stainless. The pen blade was more roughly used and has some deeper scratches, the way the blade caught the light in the picture makes the scratches look black, but they just look like scratches when holding the knife. I read somewhere that three different knife companies operated out of the Walden, and the area was known as "Little Sheffield" in its day.

Last edited:
I have an I-XL with a carbon main blade & a stainless pen blade.

An easy test is a spot of vinegar or mustard on each blade & give it 15 minutes. It'll leave a black spot on a carbon blade & nothing or very faint on stainless.

Came across an interesting old picture of some of the empolyees of the Walden knife makers
Walden-Knife-Co-1917.jpg

Thanks for finding that newspaper article, some good information there. I think both blades are stainless. The pen blade was more roughly used and has some deeper scratches, the way the blade caught the light in the picture makes the scratches look black, but they just look like scratches when holding the knife. I read somewhere that three different knife companies operated out of the Walden Knife Co, and it was known as "Little Sheffield" in its day.

Walden was indeed referred to as Little Sheffield. It has a very rich cutlery history, too much to go into detail here. Briefly: The New York Knife Company, Walden Knife Co and Schrade Cut Co were all located in Walden. The Walden Knife Co was started by disgruntled employees from the New York Knife Co. The E.C. Simmons Hardware Co bought controlling interest in the Walden Knife Co. in 1902 and Keen Kutter knives were made there until the factory closed. Winchester and Simmons merged in 1923 and there are conflicting opinions (1923 to 1927) as to when Keen Kutter production was moved to the Winchester plant. There were also a couple of smaller more obscure companies: Orange Cutlery Co and D&S.

I have a seven page excerpt from a book call "Old Walden". It used to be on the Walden Historical Society website, but, it doesn't seem to be there anymore or I would post the link. I could post the pages here, but not sure if it would be the appropriate place??

I apologize for the lack of knife photos, but, all of my knives pertinent to this have been previously posted.

Walden was indeed referred to as Little Sheffield. It has a very rich cutlery history, too much to go into detail here. Briefly: The New York Knife Company, Walden Knife Co and Schrade Cut Co were all located in Walden. The Walden Knife Co was started by disgruntled employees from the New York Knife Co. The E.C. Simmons Hardware Co bought controlling interest in the Walden Knife Co. in 1902 and Keen Kutter knives were made there until the factory closed. Winchester and Simmons merged in 1923 and there are conflicting opinions (1923 to 1927) as to when Keen Kutter production was moved to the Winchester plant. There were also a couple of smaller more obscure companies: Orange Cutlery Co and D&S.

I have a seven page excerpt from a book call "Old Walden". It used to be on the Walden Historical Society website, but, it doesn't seem to be there anymore or I would post the link. I could post the pages here, but not sure if it would be the appropriate place??

I apologize for the lack of knife photos, but, all of my knives pertinent to this have been previously posted.
Thanks for posting a bit more detail on the history of the area and the knife companies that once were there. I am always fascinated by the history behind these old knives. Hey and no harm in showing them again if you like :thumbsup:.

P & G - cool Photo matey :cool: :thumbsup:

Hey Dan - all information is good my friend, not long winded by any means!, Dan, didn't Camillus pound more than a few knives out for Keen Kutter as well?, I remember reading this somewhere, and I have spied the Camillus "Spiral" Punch on more than one Keen Kutter.

Came across an interesting old picture of some of the empolyees of the Walden knife makers
Walden-Knife-Co-1917.jpg
Wonderful photo that encapsulates a people coming together in a time and place. I'm going to disappear down the history hole relating to Walden Knife some spare hour.

Can any of you old knife aficionados shed any light on this maker for me?

Schrade also made Keen Kutters and Diamond Edge. Much later, maybe late 1960s or early 1970s, Schrade owned the Keen Kutter marque.
I have what I believe is a late ‘50’s or early ‘60’s Schrade 825 Stainless stockman with a Keen Kutter etch on the Turkish clip main blade. Schrade’s 1963 catalog listed some Keen Kutter branded knives.

If your 825 has Delrin handles it was made after the first Delrin factory was built in 1960.
I think they are bone but certainly not 100% sure. The knife is actually with @jsdistin right now for a recover as the original pile side cover overlapped the bolster and cracked in two places when it was pinned down. I just sent Jeff a message asking him to see if he could verify if they are bone or not. I would like to know the actual year of manufacture myself. In the 1964 catalog the knife is shown with a Razor Blade Stainless etch where mine says Keen Kutter.

Duncan, Camillus did make many of the Keen Kutters. My understanding is that following the closure of the Walden plant, Camillus and Winchester were the major manufacturers of Keen Kutters.

Schrade also made Keen Kutters and Diamond Edge. Much later, maybe late 1960s or early 1970s, Schrade owned the Keen Kutter marque.

Your are right, Tongueriver. What I should have said above was: .......following the closure of the Walden Plant, Camilus and Winchester were the major manufacturers of Keen Kutters, up to July 1940, when Shapleigh bought out Simmons Hardware.

Here is what mine looks like:
Looks like the early 'wavy red' Delrin from here. They made molds for that type of 'jigging' from real bone jigged covers. In my opinion it made the nicest Delrin of any knife covers by anyone anywhere any time. Edit: Sorry; I seem to have gone off on a tangent concerning knives that don't really qualify as "OLD" knives.

Back