"Old Knives"

rockman0 rockman0
Rob I forgot to say, those two awesome jacks up there with those end-caps and all, just wow!! Beautiful jiggin’ going on… especially on the SCC :thumbsup::thumbsup:
They’re both unique beauts really as the KK gives me the chills too !
Thanks for the showing.

Thanks Ed,
Here's an Electric swell center whittler that has the same frame as the Thomas Turner Encore you posted in the Sheffield thread. It's not as large as your Encore, The Electric is 3 5/8" if my memory serves me well. Your Encore is a great old user as is my Electric :thumbsup:

Beautiful examples there Rockman, would be over the moon to own such users.

KwU9Zxj.jpeg

Last edited:
I posted some pictures of this Union Cut Co Stockman last week. I just spent a relaxing hour or two fettling it into usable shape, hopefully without losing much of its vintage character and spirit.

I shaped a point back on the main blade, and sharpened out the chipped edges. There's one big chip on the spey blade, but I left that alone, not wanting to remove so much metal. I oiled the joints and all three blades have a nice quiet little snap and not a hint of blade wobble. Into my pocket it goes. 😎

Before:
FaAo6Hk.jpg

After:
9fHWZ3m.jpg

l2B0lJF.jpg
That came out very nicely my friend .

Harry

Thanks for the compliment, Gus:thumbsup: Now that you mention it I believe I'll have another cup of coffee myself :thumbsup:

Rachel, here's 2 old users, I have another one in the drawer somewhere. Thanks for the compliment :thumbsup:
bH7tV7l.jpeg

Dave, thanks for the compliment :thumbsup:

Willie, beautiful bone:thumbsup::thumbsup:
What a nice surprise to find! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliment, Charlie :thumbsup:

Thanks for compliment, Lloyd. :thumbsup: They just don't come around often, must be part of the reason they are valuable :)
Two very nice Knives Rob matey, Those end caps with Schrades outstanding Peachseed - what a couple of outstanders!

Couple added recently, a relic stag Empire Senator, 3 1/16", blades are full but it sat closed for 100 years and rusted.

Other is a curved stamp 3 1/2" Schrade Cut Co sheepsfoot jack, first Schrade curved stamp I have been able to find. Nice addition to my sheepsfoot jack collection.

View attachment 1669400View attachment 1669401View attachment 1669402View attachment 1669403View attachment 1669404View attachment 1669405View attachment 1669406View attachment 1669407

Augie, you really have ramped up your collection since your retirement, Im thinking you may have some kind of Crop somewhere to sustain these stunning Knives 🤣

seriously though- That Empire is a Sweetheart, with the pitting 'n all gives one a great excuse to put some nice edges on those awesome old Blades and through it in your EDC Rotation my friend.

Now that Cut Co, Theres a lot going on, the frame is somewhat to an Eureka Jack - theres that same kind of sway going on there and with the way the End cap is shaped seems to accentuate this.
What gorgeous early Pic Bone, Swage work is great alongside the Matchstrike! Oh man... that really is a Sweetheart of a Knife that has everything, Augie- well done, you must have been very pleased unwrapping that one!

Family portrait of my Schrades, left a few out that aren't in unused condition.

eQlQOON.jpeg

What a beautiful table of 10, congratulations Sir.

Todays set up
The original Österberg no.22 on the right in MOP, and the wannabes to the left from Sven Gustaf Andersson, around 1890-1900
My modest 22:s collection
Just put on new G-10 scales on the latest find. 2blades, file and corkscrew. Unfortunatly the MOP was cracked to much to save, but it turned out ok :)

Those new scales turned out great.
Beautiful threesome.

I've had this 3 3/8" W.H.Morley & Sons (c1913-1927) 4 blade pen knife in mother of pearl for a few years, and I enjoy carrying and using it. Even though some might call the blades over-sharpened, they cut like fine thin scalpels.

Last week, while scrolling through old knives on the auction site, I was very excited to see what is basically the same knife, but with pick bone covers!

It's interesting to see them side by side, and observe which blades were favored by the past owner(s).

isXQrGO.jpg

xdUCU8L.jpg

I only just noticed, after viewing these pictures on my full sized monitor, that the four leaf clover stamps are different. The one in bone has plain leaves, like the bottom right corner of this collage of Kastor brand tang stamps, while the one in pearl sports the lined leaves. I wonder which one is older.
rFSkP1C.jpg

Last edited:
Augie, you really have ramped up your collection since your retirement, Im thinking you may have some kind of Crop somewhere to sustain these stunning Knives 🤣

seriously though- That Empire is a Sweetheart, with the pitting 'n all gives one a great excuse to put some nice edges on those awesome old Blades and through it in your EDC Rotation my friend.

Now that Cut Co, Theres a lot going on, the frame is somewhat to an Eureka Jack - theres that same kind of sway going on there and with the way the End cap is shaped seems to accentuate this.
What gorgeous early Pic Bone, Swage work is great alongside the Matchstrike! Oh man... that really is a Sweetheart of a Knife that has everything, Augie- well done, you must have been very pleased unwrapping that one!

Thank you Duncan and thank you everyone that commented, much appreciated.

Duncan I'm pretty sure of all my sheepsfoot jacks this is the only one with a match strike pull, I was very pleased to obtain it.

Thanks Ed,
Here's an Electric swell center whittler that has the same frame as the Thomas Turner Encore you posted in the Sheffield thread. It's not as large as your Encore, The Electric is 3 5/8" if my memory serves me well. Your Encore is a great old user as is my Electric :thumbsup:

KwU9Zxj.jpeg
Thats very awesome Rockman. Love the swedge, bolster caps and the manicuring blade. The profile is the same as you say, it being the only other time I've seen it;)

I had a great discovery happen this weekend with my old tackle box my dad put together for me a a kid. I did a lot of lake & stream fishing with my dad in our Sierra's when I was elementary age. I had my old tackle box for many years without ever giving any attention to it. Well I knew there was an old (probably cheap) fishing knife in it I wanted to check out. To my surprise there was sitting in one of the trays was a jack knife. Sitting there for probably 45+ years like in a time capsule. I don't even remember it, and assume my dad had given it to me at a very early age. This probably was my first knife :) . I cleaned it up a bit some 50+ years of grime & rust. After reading the Voos Arrow wrong (X00S, Voss, etc), I finally figured out the correct spelling. I see that this is a Jack knife with bone covers, steel liners & bolsters. After soaking & cleaning the action came back & is quite nice now. Bone was quite dry too. I will need to show to my 95 year old dad to see if he remembers. He probably will since he still has the memory of an elephant.
I have found out a little about VOOS USA, and New Haven Hardware Co. But does anyone know the years that this knife might have been made? I would have received it in the late 60's probably.
Pic of the Imperial Prov RI fishing knife too.
Thank you

mmCS7pb.jpg

bPspp8C.jpg

RN7eDsT.jpg

73Z57id.jpg

I had a great discovery happen this weekend with my old tackle box my dad put together for me a a kid. I did a lot of lake & stream fishing with my dad in our Sierra's when I was elementary age. I had my old tackle box for many years without ever giving any attention to it. Well I knew there was an old (probably cheap) fishing knife in it I wanted to check out. To my surprise there was sitting in one of the trays was a jack knife. Sitting there for probably 45+ years like in a time capsule. I don't even remember it, and assume my dad had given it to me at a very early age. This probably was my first knife :) . I cleaned it up a bit some 50+ years of grime & rust. After reading the Voos Arrow wrong (X00S, Voss, etc), I finally figured out the correct spelling. I see that this is a Jack knife with bone covers, steel liners & bolsters. After soaking & cleaning the action came back & is quite nice now. Bone was quite dry too. I will need to show to my 95 year old dad to see if he remembers. He probably will since he still has the memory of an elephant.
I have found out a little about VOOS USA, and New Haven Hardware Co. But does anyone know the years that this knife might have been made? I would have received it in the late 60's probably.
Thank you

mmCS7pb.jpg

bPspp8C.jpg

RN7eDsT.jpg

73Z57id.jpg

Great jigging on that one! That's a great find.

Thank you

mmCS7pb.jpg

bPspp8C.jpg

RN7eDsT.jpg

73Z57id.jpg
What an amazing treasure to find! The sentimental value of a childhood knife, a gift from Dad, can't be topped.

Back