"Old Knives"

I posted some pictures of this Union Cut Co Stockman last week. I just spent a relaxing hour or two fettling it into usable shape, hopefully without losing much of its vintage character and spirit.

I shaped a point back on the main blade, and sharpened out the chipped edges. There's one big chip on the spey blade, but I left that alone, not wanting to remove so much metal. I oiled the joints and all three blades have a nice quiet little snap and not a hint of blade wobble. Into my pocket it goes. 😎

Before:
FaAo6Hk.jpg

After:
9fHWZ3m.jpg

l2B0lJF.jpg

Nice Job on that old beauty R8shell.
Don’t those old ones Sharpen up nicely!

The knife looks like a real nice user! That little Sheepsfoot looks to be a great wee user as well!

I put an edge on a very old I*XL Barlow I picked up a while ago- the end of the Blade tip was literally “ corkscrewed “ as it had been used as leverage, it was so side angled I still am fascinated how the tip didn’t snap off.

Took it back to a nice shape and then took it to the stones, man do those old Blades Sharpen up so much easier!

Nice to see a new lease of life on a great old Knife R8shell.

That’s lookin’ real sharp now r8shell !
and a sweet preservation of metal :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks! I didn't want to grind too much away. The main is noticeably narrower, but I like it. I wonder what someone was cutting to chip the edge like that. It was practically serrated!
Nice Job on that old beauty R8shell.
Don’t those old ones Sharpen up nicely!

The knife looks like a real nice user! That little Sheepsfoot looks to be a great wee user as well!

I put an edge on a very old I*XL Barlow I picked up a while ago- the end of the Blade tip was literally “ corkscrewed “ as it had been used as leverage, it was so side angled I still am fascinated how the tip didn’t snap off.

Took it back to a nice shape and then took it to the stones, man do those old Blades Sharpen up so much easier!

Nice to see a new lease of life on a great old Knife R8shell.
Thanks, the steel is on the softer side, which made sharpening go much faster than I expected. The very tip of the sheepsfoot blade was bent, either from prying or being dropped. I didn't want to risk snapping it off by trying to bend it back, so I just kinda sharpened it out.

It should hold up well to light duty, like opening letters and cutting bits of string.

1635286900397294315100.jpg

My grandmother has decided to move back to New York from Florida. In the bottom of a trunk that belonged to her dad I found this old Robeson. The blade has a bit of side to side play, and it had some red oxidation that I buffed off with some 0000 steel wool and hoppes gun oil. The action is still excellent, and it has beautiful (at least in my eyes) jigged bone covers.

Back