"Old Knives"

And what a first it is my friend, I can see why you took the Punch as a Camillus- as they too have a Spiral, Charlie is THE man on HJ's and their Punches, I have learnt a weenie bit off him, but I honestly think what I will ever learn about Punches will be the tiny unimportant parts Charlie has forgotten! I am pretty sure that Charlie would be the most informed person on HJ's and the person who in the earlier years took a hold of them before anyone else really did - long before Charlies outstanding GEC Creations with Bill.
Dave ( Knowtracks ) would follow up as the other very knowledgeable person on HJ's.

the reason why I say this is because I have a massive interest, but I know little, I am planning some time to seriously take on as much as I can about the Punches in Knives and build up some sort of personal portfolio of them.

Heres your NYK Punch- if you look at the Tang, you will see a "Tab" joined on- this is a Laminated Tang where the Punch Arm is spot welded in a way to the Tang- check out the photo below that shows this very well...

Your NYK Punch has a couple of variations, one is a Spiraled Back like yours, and One has the non- Spiral finish but exact same construction- funny enough Camillus do exactly the same as their Spiral Punch / Non Spiral Punch ( as well as others later on in their later model Scouts / Utility Knives).

ThDlaid.jpg

More Views from above of the NYK Co Punch and it's Tang ...

b95QLOI.jpg

xkzv2mW.jpg

r4DfHiy.jpg

YqgB6G8.jpg

This photo below shows the back of a NYK Punch that does not have a Spiral finish yet same Construction- this is on a fairly hard to find Buffalo Bill NYK Scout.

RIv4iRY.jpg

Then the Spiral Back version on a NYK Scout below

JMwHAEZ.jpg

I10ANEJ.jpg

Camillus Spiral Punch:
This one is a smaller framed Knife- therefore so too is the Spiral Punch by Camillus

yYD2J1b.jpg

On a Scout.. Be careful as Camillus didnt always stamp " Spiral Punch" on the Tang..

kdU7MQ4.jpg

And on another Camillus Spiral Punch - note there is no Spiral Punch Stamped on the Tang.
JtZoaMN.jpg

Heres the Pile side of the Camillus Punch below

SlIrGr6.jpg

gXeGpQS.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Duncan, talk about a seminar on the NYK and Cami punches showing their unique lines. Those knives are all so purdy !!
You guys are ALL a wealth of information here and thank you again :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And what a first it is my friend, I can see why you took the Punch as a Camillus- as they too have a Spiral, Charlie is THE man on HJ's and their Punches, I have learnt a weenie bit off him, but I honestly think what I will ever learn about Punches will be the tiny unimportant parts Charlie has forgotten! I am pretty sure that Charlie would be the most informed person on HJ's and the person who in the earlier years took a hold of them before anyone else really did - long before Charlies outstanding GEC Creations with Bill.
Dave ( Knowtracks ) would follow up as the other very knowledgeable person on HJ's.

the reason why I say this is because I have a massive interest, but I know little, I am planning some time to seriously take on as much as I can about the Punches in Knives and build up some sort of personal portfolio of them.

Heres your NYK Punch- if you look at the Tang, you will see a "Tab" joined on- this is a Laminated Tang where the Punch Arm is spot welded in a way to the Tang- check out the photo below that shows this very well...

Your NYK Punch has a couple of variations, one is a Spiraled Back like yours, and One has the non- Spiral finish but exact same construction- funny enough Camillus do exactly the same as their Spiral Punch / Non Spiral Punch ( as well as others later on in their later model Scouts / Utility Knives).

ThDlaid.jpg

More Views from above of the NYK Co Punch and it's Tang ...

b95QLOI.jpg

xkzv2mW.jpg

r4DfHiy.jpg

YqgB6G8.jpg

This photo below shows the back of a NYK Punch that does not have a Spiral finish yet same Construction- this is on a fairly hard to find Buffalo Bill NYK Scout.

RIv4iRY.jpg

Then the Spiral Back version on a NYK Scout below

JMwHAEZ.jpg

I10ANEJ.jpg

Camillus Spiral Punch:
This one is a smaller framed Knife- therefore so too is the Spiral Punch by Camillus

yYD2J1b.jpg

On a Scout.. Be careful as Camillus didnt always stamp " Spiral Punch" on the Tang..

kdU7MQ4.jpg

And on another Camillus Spiral Punch - note there is no Spiral Punch Stamped on the Tang.
JtZoaMN.jpg

Heres the Pile side of the Camillus Punch below

SlIrGr6.jpg

gXeGpQS.jpg
Wonderful "Seminar" Duncan!!! ;)

Duncan, good tutorial on NYK punches. I have 2 different NYK knives with a punch and never noticed the laminate construction, in addition to viewing the wonderful knives posted here I also learn something daily:thumbsup: Excellent Buffalo Bill😍

Gus, you raked in a couple of beauties from Cal:thumbsup: wild cell on the pristine Sta-Sharp😍

Gus - I really really like that cell Sears, just a stunning looking knife with a brilliant combination of blades & gorgeous Punch - I actually put a lot of knives on watch with that combo - but I can’t let myself start collecting another Style / pattern.
I am far behind on other things that Ai am planning with knives.

I have a box of Knives shipped to me late September that has many stunning knives inside- I’m afraid I may not ever see them- if not I am not sure if I could ever get over loosing some of them 😞
It might be my first major loss of unobtainables and quite a bit of coin as well ☹️😢

I really feel for my ND Postmaster too with this as he is so brilliant - we have discussed this - he’s such a great guy he feels a little responsible- which is far far from the truth.

He never has been responsible 🤣🤣

Thank you Rob my friend, in this missing box is a NYK Cody Scout in Stunning condition as well as a beautiful Sears Cattle also from one of our friends here, Also a Schrade Peachseed Mint Craftsman Whittler with etching etc - a real hard one to get 😢😱

Last edited:
Thank you Gus and Charlie!!

Fingers crossed Charlie for you.

I appreciate the thoughts!

Charlie I purchased last night a HJ exact twin Brother the Cigar Double Rats tailed Bolstered HJ ( pictured below ) - a twin to the one you so very kindly passed my way some time ago - actually in fact it was in person at the GEC Rendevous when you were sitting at your table 😃

This one I just picked up has the top missing from the Punch - I only purchased it to go aside your one to complete the search and to have the two same knives, one with the Trademark Brantford Stamped, and one with the Manufacturer Stamped Camillus.

I looked up Brantford and saw it was a Trademark, but was puzzled who made it, so I put that up on the shelf " to investigate further one day" so I was pleased to find this.

Brantford HJ from our Charlie...

SPjWLGC.jpg

CPHIrlR.jpg

ThjjUNu.jpg

There’s a 4 line Cami stamp there Duncan !
I didn’t know that either !!
Edit: I can make out three lines looking closer !!

Fingers and toes crossed here Charlie !!

Last edited:
Yes there is that double stamping there Gus, I couldn't make out what it said. But your making my eyes hurt trying to zoom in! 🤣

I never used to see Camillus using that Mayer Punch, but now and then you see it pop up, I see that Ka-Bar and Case used that same punch quite prolifically as well.

Does this sound right to you Charlie?
Below - the same photo as above I am sure is the Mayer Punch, Mayer used to work for Camillus I think I remember reading, the only thing left that makes me question myself is the diagram of the Patent Moritz Mayer Punch looks sharper- ( doesn't have quite the rounded Spine - nor the sharper sides at rear of Punch )

Charlie on your very nice HJ2's I believe the Punch was influenced by the Mayer Punch, so in your mind Sir- is that the Original Mayer on the Brantford HJ pictured just below? As I said the slightly more rounded "Spine" leading to the tip compared to your HJ2 etc.

SPjWLGC.jpg

CPHIrlR.jpg

UktfN7r.png

Last edited:
Gus - I really really like that cell Sears, just a stunning looking knife with a brilliant combination of blades & gorgeous Punch - I actually put a lot of knives on watch with that combo - but I can’t let myself start collecting another Style / pattern.
I am far behind on other things that Ai am planning with knives.

I have a box of Knives shipped to me late September that has many stunning knives inside- I’m afraid I may not ever see them- if not I am not sure if I could ever get over loosing some of them 😞
It might be my first major loss of unobtainables and quite a bit of coin as well ☹️😢

I really feel for my ND Postmaster too with this as he is so brilliant - we have discussed this - he’s such a great guy he feels a little responsible- which is far far from the truth.

He never has been responsible 🤣🤣

Thank you Rob my friend, in this missing box is a NYK Cody Scout in Stunning condition as well as a beautiful Sears Cattle also from one of our friends here, Also a Schrade Peachseed Mint Craftsman Whittler with etching etc - a real hard one to get 😢😱

Fingers crossed that your package will turn up :thumbsup:

Back