"Old Knives"

Duncan I sure hope everything works out with the missing shipment, glad to see you at least know where it is now.

Picked up this W.R. Case & Sons large coke bottle C61050, large knife 5 1/2" closed. 9 1/2" open. Still has good snap and no play. I'm thinking 1905 to 1914. It has been hard for me to find decent early Case knives, this is only the second one I've acquired.

View attachment 1696858View attachment 1696859View attachment 1696860View attachment 1696861View attachment 1696862View attachment 1696863
I'd say that certainly fills the palm. There's more than a touch of soul added when that was made. A big brawny and beautiful piece Augie, wear it well.
Real nice knife, John!! Definitely pre-WWI jigging!!
View attachment 1697057View attachment 1697058
Love the cut off looking end to that blade, what would one call that style Waynorth?
Beautiful WR Case & Sons knives Augie and Charlie!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congratulations on finding the large coke bottle, Augie.
Duncan and Charlie, I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your respective boxes of knives.
I have this WR Case & Sons 6216 1/2. I am sure I have posted it somewhere before, but I don't think in this thread. I don't have a pic of the pile side and it is still too dark to take pictures.

View attachment 1698414
Thats really lovely Danno, whats the closed length? It looks big!
Case should relaunch a line of these old time chunky patterns!
Ducks incase they already have:)

Thats a real neat Old Case Dan, You could post that Knife weekly and it would be great!

I am not sure if Charlie is going to Church or not- He may get parcel before me, as I have to wait 30 days before it gets sent back to Paul- so he can send it back to via my daughter in Australia.
Apparently USPS considers New Zealand a no go zone so they will take your money- send it all the way to Aussie then it stops before it gets to be shipped to NZ..... mmm Yeah I can see the logic in that! 🤔 :confused:

Thats a real neat Old Case Dan, You could post that Knife weekly and it would be great!

I am not sure if Charlie is going to Church or not- He may get parcel before me, as I have to wait 30 days before it gets sent back to Paul- so he can send it back to via my daughter in Australia.
Apparently USPS considers New Zealand a no go zone so they will take your money- send it all the way to Aussie then it stops before it gets to be shipped to NZ..... mmm Yeah I can see the logic in that! 🤔 :confused:

That really stinks Duncan but at least it's not lost .

No not lost- but we need to get it back on Journey Steve matey, its been a nail biting time I can tell you! 😀 :thumbsup:
I spoke to Post NZ, and they said that the money wasn't in it for USPS, although I do pay around $100 per box ( us$), that's all good, we will find a way!
Your Cattle Knife is in there my friend- I am extremely anxious about that one :eek: :eek:

Maybe not the right thread but I found this little article about why Mora doesn’t make folders interesting. Also check out the cute prototype folder

Mora article

Beautiful WR Case & Sons knives Augie and Charlie!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congratulations on finding the large coke bottle, Augie.
Duncan and Charlie, I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your respective boxes of knives.
I have this WR Case & Sons 6216 1/2. I am sure I have posted it somewhere before, but I don't think in this thread. I don't have a pic of the pile side and it is still too dark to take pictures.

View attachment 1698414
What a wonderful knife, Dan!! It has looked like an antique since it was Born!!
It's got that crude yet sophisticated look!! Beauty, in my eye anyways!! :cool:

Here is a 3 1/4" Equal End Whittler I recently picked up. It needed a lot of cleaning, and the main blade is pretty wobbly, but I think it's still a neat little knife.

Marked Edw. Parker & Sons Germany, with Germania Cutl. Works Germany on the reverse tang.

Just like A.W.Wadsworth & Sons, and W.H.Morley & Sons, it's a Kastor owned brand, made in Germany until shortly before WWII, sporting the most British sounding name the Kastors could think of. 😄

stllktF.jpg

zBVycSD.jpg

Nice knife, r8shell, great bolsters.:thumbsup:

This knife is far from up to the standards for this thread, but I thought it was interesting. Roland posted it on another forum. I was intrigued by the CANADA on the stamp and inquired about it. He graciously sent to me. There is nothing in either Goins or Levine regarding this stamp. I believe I read somewhere that CHALSET was a Canadian importer? The knife appears to be German made. Just wondering if anyone might have any more information.

RIMG2590.JPGRIMG2591.JPGRIMG2592.JPG

Hey there Dan, Roland is a great guy isn't he!
I would say you are a 100% right with that Sleeveboard being German with those Bolster Pins being such a sharp contrast.

Perhaps seeking out other Chalset Knives and then trying to identify a particular pattern Knife that you can relate to a Solingen Firm- but then Chalset may have used other Solingen firms?
Chances are that dealing with the one Solingen firm with Chalset being a smaller Company would be the probability.
From what I see in some links some of the Knives look rather old - and F. A. Bower comes to mind with some of the Older Stag and Carbon steel Fixed Blades, but there were so many as you know Solingen Cutlers whom made these Generic Patterns - a prominent one I am seeing almost straight away obviously has influence by the Early Marbles Woodsman, these Fixed Blades are not 60's or 70's but earlier in some of these links here...

when I used collect these types of knives back a few years agon, trying to get the True Carbon Blades was a wee bit harder- sure we had beauties such as Anton Wingen Jr. et along with Edge Mark, linder etc that had very nice Stag - but it was the older Stag and Carbon blade Knives that were much fewer and of course so was the Cutler firms, like I mentioned earlier F.A Bower did nearly always come up with Great Stag with beautifully Patina'd Carbon Blades, compared to the 60's 70's knives onwards...

Last edited:
Hey there Dan, Roland is a great guy isn't he!
I would say you are a 100% right with that Sleeveboard being German with those Bolster Pins being such a sharp contrast.

Perhaps seeking out other Chalset Knives and then trying to identify a particular pattern Knife that you can relate to a Solingen Firm- but then Chalset may have used other Solingen firms?
Chances are that dealing with the one Solingen firm with Chalset being a smaller Company would be the probability.
From what I see in some links some of the Knives look rather old - and F. A. Bower comes to mind with some of the Older Stag and Carbon steel Fixed Blades, but there were so many as you know Solingen Cutlers whom made these Generic Patterns - a prominent one I am seeing almost straight away obviously has influence by the Early Marbles Woodsman, these Fixed Blades are not 60's or 70's but earlier in some of these links here...

when I used collect these types of knives back a few years agon, trying to get the True Carbon Blades was a wee bit harder- sure we had beauties such as Anton Wingen Jr. et along with Edge Mark, linder etc that had very nice Stag - but it was the older Stag and Carbon blade Knives that were much fewer and of course so was the Cutler firms, like I mentioned earlier F.A Bower did nearly always come up with Great Stag with beautifully Patina'd Carbon Blades, compared to the 60's 70's knives onwards...

Thanks for the info, Duncan. I have seen the Marbles style CHALSET knives on eBay, but, I have not found another Chalet folding knife. My internet search skills are not very good and I just end up frustrated trying to search for information on this. Premier is another Canadian importer that I find it very difficult to find information on.

To be honest Dan Sir I had never heard of Chalset before, so it’s interesting. I hope you find something out, it will be great to read a list of yours - say a year or so down the track saying “ Hey remember that Chalset Knife I posted up sometime ago? Well I just found out………”

Back