"Old Knives"

Picked up a fairly hard to find tang stamp this week, Curley Cutlery Co New York, Goin's has 1860 to 1921. Sweet little 3" Senator 4 blade, all blades tang stamped and the file has a Curley's Pat stamp. Amazing Pick bone for such a small knife and there are nail cut outs for all 4 blades. Appears to be pretty nice little molested condition.

IMG_5006.jpegIMG_5009.jpegIMG_5001.jpegIMG_4998.jpegIMG_5005.jpegIMG_5000.jpegIMG_4996.jpeg

Great find Augie, beautiful knife:thumbsup: I am especially partial to the 4 blade senators with tip bolsters. Lovely pick bone, very nice colouration. I believe the patent may refer to the nail file, as I have heard that style file called a Curley file?

edited: I see Charlie beat me to the info on the file while I was typing. Found on many Keen Kutters. Also just reread your post, Augie, obviously you knew the patent was for the file as you stated the patent was on the file.

Last edited:
I haven’t written any thoughts on recently posted blades, may as well save it sometimes as some real beauts showing up from Jeff, Duncan, r8chel, danno, and just now John and Charlie !!
r8chel’s pattern eludes me it seems!
Dan, I’ve never seen or heard of them up here, I’ll keep an eye out as well!
John, what can I say… mawvellous lill’ beaut and gawgeous pics !!
Charlie, my favourite scratches come through again!! Your scanner shows off that beauty just right !!

While I was looking for that Curley, I saw another interesting knife I may not have shown here, an Empire with Gold covers and Bail!! Only 2 3/8" , it's a small Gent's or Lady's knife! The file is interesting, but harder to use than a Curley!! Good for small hands - not mine!!Gold Pen 1.jpg

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments. Nice Empire and KeenKutter Charlie and Dan. I find it interesting that there is so little information out there on Curley even though they had a patent for a blade that other manufacturers used.

Some real winners being shown here lately! Thank You ALL!
Been a while since I've had a knife old enough to be included in this "old knife thread" But here's a tank of a dogleg in ebony, half stops on both blades, french pulls also on both. Schatt and Morgan, Gowanda stamp, 1896 - 1902
IMG_3124.jpgIMG_3126.jpg
IMG_3125.jpg

Dave

Charlie is that supposed to be a file on the Empire?
It's got the teeth hidden in the sweep of the curve, eisman!! I have filed a couple of fingernails with it, (before I reverted to an emery board!!):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back