"Old Knives"

Nice Hatch's Herder and Longblade!:thumbsup:
It does make you wonder LongBlade, as some do seem very similar in their decoration. Here is one that is not as ornate as some that have been posted, but is another aluminum handle, marked A. Burkinshaw's Sons.
wtgHB77.jpg

It does make you wonder LongBlade, as some do seem very similar in their decoration. Here is one that is not as ornate as some that have been posted, but is another aluminum handle, marked A. Burkinshaw's Sons.
wtgHB77.jpg

Another great example of an aluminum handled knife Mark :thumbsup: ... Indeed one sees the similarity for sure!!

Wouldn't it have been jewelers (primarily) engraving things like watches, cutlery, candle sticks, ect?

You may be right Zombie411 :thumbsup: ... No doubt I have read that was the case with solid sterling silver handles where jewelers did the handle work and I imagine engraving an aluminum design would be similar....

Random grab off the bay. I know absolutely nothing about Hibbard Spencer Bartlett, but with bones handles, shield, and blades with snap without excessive wear - I would have taken almost any maker at $13!

Can anyone here shed some light on the background of this thing? All I did was clean it, oil it, and hit it lightly on a 6 inch buffing wheel. Will sharpen later.

36553081411_15138abcf5_b.jpg

35881466293_66c85dab67_b.jpg

35881466933_6039806c22_b.jpg

36521660362_baf7e33757_b.jpg

36295773910_e2d48fef0d_b.jpg

36521658782_543607fb95_b.jpg

35881464193_4b3a27366b_b.jpg

36295771480_64b12cfdb5_b.jpg

36645012726_1a99298aa7_b.jpg

I love the way that this longstanding thread has exploded from a sleepy little corner in recent months, some amazing knives being shown :)

Thanks Paul, and lunch with you guys was just a little better than Great!!! :)

Fantastic to hear that you guys were able to meet up :) :thumbsup:

Too bad about all the missing images in the beginning but there is still enough information to keep it worth reading.
There is MUCH more to be learned (here) than who uses what new bearing.
Condition, and how that condition came to be. History of makers. Materials used, and why. Pattern development... Too much to list

It's my favorite thread on the forum.

Beautiful knife Mike, hope you are doing well my friend...didn't see you at Blade this year.

Hey Jerry, every year I say I'm going to Blade and then something comes up. This time it was knee replacement surgery. But I'm going to Blade next year, cause that's what I always say.

Thanks Duncan, even though I don't much I read a lot of your and Jack Black's posts.

Zombie, it is a shame about all of the institutional knowledge that was lost from this thread due to photobucket's new policy. I think I posted every old knife I've owned here. I know we won't be getting a large chunk of those pics back.

And I can recall when we didn't have a traditional sub forum here on BF, but Spark eventually created one after hearing from members about the need for it.

Here are a couple that I previously posted and used in a book a while back:
KJV7fzr.jpg

M7lzWST.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jerry, every year I say I'm going to Blade and then something comes up. This time it was knee replacement surgery. But I'm going to Blade next year, cause that's what I always say.

KJV7fzr.jpg

M7lzWST.jpg

A couple of stunners Mike, you always bring the heat. My Blade experience this year consisted of about three hours total, no shimmering waters :thumbsdown: Maybe next year you can sign your book for me..

Thanks Paul. Top two are Henckels and you are right the bottom one is "Wostenholm Celebrated" and has "Virginia" stamped on the blade.
I started out buying Case knives with glued acrylic scales put on by Frost. The Henckels were some of the first really nice knives I was able to buy.

Jerry, I'm not sure I can partake in as much of the shimmering waters of yore but it would be great to see you again. Thanks.

Zombie, old knives are quite addictive when you really start getting into them, if you are lucky you can get some pretty nice examples for very reasonable prices. It does take a lot of looking and some luck but that is part of the fun. What is really great is when you can find an old one that is similar to a new knife made by GEC or another manufacturer.
This forum is great as there are several members that have a huge knowledge of vintage knives and are very willing to share, they have been a large influence on my own collecting, I much prefer a high condition vintage knife.
Its unfortunate that PhotoBucket did what they did, there are a lot of pictures missing from this great thread but I am sure you will still find plenty of vintage eye candy.
Just something about a 100 year old knife that is still as tight, snappy and useful as the day it left the factory.

View attachment 752419 View attachment 752420 View attachment 752421

Well stated and with some nice examples shown.

Jerry, I'm not sure I can partake in as much of the shimmering waters of yore but it would be great to see you again. Thanks.

Me either, senior citizens like me can't be acting up. My wife said she didn't worry much anymore, I finally wore myself out.

Thanks Herder and indeed that is an awesome & unique Hatch knife :thumbsup: ... Those are some of the nicest aluminum handles I have seen in terms of a pattern design and a cool way to pop the blades open... Here is another aluminum handled knife for comparison... many companies seemed to have a design similar to this Waterville ... it makes one wonder if those aluminum handles were outsourced by the same company for many of the cutleries...

adHujyG.jpg

Nice Aluminum Waterville. It appears to have an earlier stamp c. 1865 to 1900???
I can track down aluminum handled knives from Germany back to 1890, but nothing definite in American made aluminum models prior to 1899.

wtgHB77.jpg

Another nice American made aluminum handled knife. I would guess it dates to around the same time frame as Longblade's Waterville model, circa 1900.

Random grab off the bay. I know absolutely nothing about Hibbard Spencer Bartlett, but with bones handles, shield, and blades with snap without excessive wear - I would have taken almost any maker at $13!

Can anyone here shed some light on the background of this thing? All I did was clean it, oil it, and hit it lightly on a 6 inch buffing wheel. Will sharpen later.

Your off to a good start with that fine old HS&B folder.
HS&B did not make their knives, but contracted out to some of the best American makers like New York Knife Co. , Ulster, Camillus, and Utica.

Thanks Duncan, even though I don't much I read a lot of your and Jack Black's posts.

Zombie, it is a shame about all of the institutional knowledge that was lost from this thread due to photobucket's new policy. I think I posted every old knife I've owned here. I know we won't be getting a large chunk of those pics back.

And I can recall when we didn't have a traditional sub forum here on BF, but Spark eventually created one after hearing from members about the need for it.

KJV7fzr.jpg

M7lzWST.jpg

Mike - Those are absolutely awesome knives :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: ;) ... just pure eye-candy !!!

Thanks Neal :thumbsup: ... Hard to say with Waterville based on that stamp (as with most companies hard to use the stamp though I do know my Boys Knife from Waterville with the Waterbury stamp location is no doubt 1840s)... but thought I had read their aluminum knives started to be produced in 1886 - However could be 1900 as you noted as well :) ... either way late 1800s to play it safe :cool: ...

Flying start indeed...
in 30 seconds of searching... http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/2700.html

Turns out that H.S.&B. was the company that eventually became True Value Hardware. That particular knifes vintage should be easy to trace.

This is soooo coooolll.
I'm hooked, reel me in!

Edit: There are two 3 blades that look to be the same/similar on the Flea right now... 40 bucks @
That's the starting bid. Nice score for 14 bucks

Back