"Old Knives"

Your off to a good start with that fine old HS&B folder.
HS&B did not make their knives, but contracted out to some of the best American makers like New York Knife Co. , Ulster, Camillus, and Utica.

I figured as much, but so far have not had luck determining how to tell. I found other posts of the like where people took to blade shape and/or jigging style to lead to the actual producer of the knife, but I am afraid my knowledge of these things is severely limited.

Flying start indeed...
in 30 seconds of searching... http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/2700.html

Turns out that H.S.&B. was the company that eventually became True Value Hardware. That particular knifes vintage should be easy to trace.

This is soooo coooolll.
I'm hooked, reel me in!

Edit: There are two 3 blades that look to be the same/similar on the Flea right now... 40 bucks @
That's the starting bid. Nice score for 14 bucks

Yes indeed I found an old turn of the century catalog that has the pattern in it - but then again as a large aggregate retailer it has about EVERY pattern in it.
https://books.google.com/books?id=STs8AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA832#v=onepage&q&f=false

I would think that the swedge on mine is the most distinctive. See how it starts along the spine AHEAD of where the clip point begins? On many clip points with long pulls I see the pull going to where the clip begins, but not the case on mine. Searched a bunch of images just now, and so far only seen the same swedge shape here on this Ulster, but overall its a different blade shape. Can anyone find that swedge somewhere else?

UlsterAntiqueJiggedBoneStockman.jpg

Last edited:
Mike - Those are absolutely awesome knives :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: ;) ... just pure eye-candy !!!
Thanks Longblade.

Great knife jprime84 and thanks for the link.

Here's a Remington Bulldog that was only available if you subscribed to Hunter-Trader-Trapper magazine. Remington used the same frame for a three-blade knife. This Bulldog pattern appeared in Bernard Levine's Knife World column a while back and I was lucky to get a copy of the HTT magazine with the Bulldog ad in it.
niO2qGl.jpg
w1j9DRx.jpg

I figured as much, but so far have not had luck determining how to tell. I found other posts of the like where people took to blade shape and/or jigging style to lead to the actual producer of the knife, but I am afraid my knowledge of these things is severely limited.

Yes indeed I found an old turn of the century catalog that has the pattern in it - but then again as a large aggregate retailer it has about EVERY pattern in it.
https://books.google.com/books?id=STs8AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA832#v=onepage&q&f=false

I would think that the swedge on mine is the most distinctive. See how it starts along the spine AHEAD of where the clip point begins? On many clip points with long pulls I see the pull going to where the clip begins, but not the case on mine. Searched a bunch of images just now, and so far only seen the same swedge shape here on this Ulster, but overall its a different blade shape. Can anyone find that swedge somewhere else?

This link has a PDF of HB&S's 1922 catolog.
Might help...
http://www.roseantiquetools.com/id103.html

Thanks Longblade.

Great knife jprime84 and thanks for the link.

Here's a Remington Bulldog that was only available if you subscribed to Hunter-Trader-Trapper magazine. Remington used the same frame for a three-blade knife. This Bulldog pattern appeared in Bernard Levine's Knife World column a while back and I was lucky to get a copy of the HTT magazine with the Bulldog ad in it.
niO2qGl.jpg
w1j9DRx.jpg

Yep. This forum will kill me.
To much cool stuff. I'm od'ing on cool...

I have a Schatt and Morgan Catalog No. 2 that shows quite a few clip blades with a swedge like that.

As my August 13th post illustrated, I have a thing for folding hunters, particularly Coke bottle versions. This is a hunter by Continental Cutlery Company that I understand was related to Robeson Cutlery and in existence around 1914-1920. It is tight and sharp and 5.25" closed. It fills the pocket pretty well.

oLyrbud.jpg

- Stuart

Last edited:
Very nice folding hunter Stuart :thumbsup::thumbsup:! I have a couple and I like them--a Robeson and a NYKC Co. (HSB & Co OVB).

Very nice folding hunter Stuart :thumbsup::thumbsup:! I have a couple and I like them--a Robeson and a NYKC Co. (HSB & Co OVB).
Thanks, Lloyd. I used my NYKC Hammer Brand on a deer last year. It didn't stumble and my hunting buddy was stunned that an 80+ year old knife could handle the chore so quickly. Just have to remember that the blade does NOT lock.

First Continental I've seen. I have a Henckels cokebottle with ebony.

I've always liked the NYK Co. cokebottle. Classy knife. Lets see those NYK Co/HSB knives you guys mentioned.

Those "Coke Bottle" knives are really quite attractive.
I've noticed a few for sale, and have been leaning toward collecting a few.

Nuther' question guys... Do you ever discuss value of these knives on this thread?
I'm about 12 pages in, and have seen no mention.
To follow that up, besides finding comparable knives/prices on line are there any reliable sources for valuation? Perhaps a clearing house that evaluates for a fee?
I only ask because it's hard to know how to buy.
In reality tho I am very happy with everything I have bought (vintage) even if I did over pay a few times.
Just hoping to avoid digging a hole deeper than my ladder.

Edit:
"WHAT IS MY KNIFE / GADGET / SPATULA / TUNING FORK WORTH ?!?!?!?!

In order to curtail potential abuse of membership privileges associated with the forums, questions regarding valuation of knives and collections are limited to those with a membership level which permits selling on this site. Accordingly, registered and basic members may not start or post in threads with such requests whether with the intent to sell or for informational purposes only. This rule applies throughout the site.

In other words, without a paid Gold membership, you don't get to ask about sale values. Too many people abused this question to hint they had a knife for sale, which you need that membership for."

That partially answers my question.

Links to further resources are still appreciated.
I like to know what I am doing before I do it.

Last edited:
Those "Coke Bottle" knives are really quite attractive.
I've noticed a few for sale, and have been leaning toward collecting a few.

Nuther' question guys... Do you ever discuss value of these knives on this thread?
I'm about 12 pages in, and have seen no mention.
To follow that up, besides finding comparable knives/prices on line are there any reliable sources for valuation? Perhaps a clearing house that evaluates for a fee?
I only ask because it's hard to know how to buy.
In reality tho I am very happy with everything I have bought (vintage) even if I did over pay a few times.
Just hoping to avoid digging a hole deeper than my ladder.

Edit:
"WHAT IS MY KNIFE / GADGET / SPATULA / TUNING FORK WORTH ?!?!?!?!

In order to curtail potential abuse of membership privileges associated with the forums, questions regarding valuation of knives and collections are limited to those with a membership level which permits selling on this site. Accordingly, registered and basic members may not start or post in threads with such requests whether with the intent to sell or for informational purposes only. This rule applies throughout the site.

In other words, without a paid Gold membership, you don't get to ask about sale values. Too many people abused this question to hint they had a knife for sale, which you need that membership for."

That partially answers my question.

Links to further resources are still appreciated.
I like to know what I am doing before I do it.

Have a read through the guidelines for this sub-forum, they're stickied at the top of the page :thumbsup:

Eg:

"In order to curtail potential abuse of membership privileges associated with the forums, questions regarding valuation of knives and collections are limited to those with a membership level which permits selling on this site. Accordingly, registered and basic members may not start or post in threads with such requests whether with the intent to sell or for informational purposes only.
Even with that caveat, the Traditional forum is probably not the proper venue for such questions and such threads may be moved to a more appropriate area of the site. [my red highlighting]"

I believe Bernard Levine, who has his own sub-forum here, runs an appraisal service :thumbsup:

Hey Jerry, every year I say I'm going to Blade and then something comes up. This time it was knee replacement surgery. But I'm going to Blade next year, cause that's what I always say.

Thanks Duncan, even though I don't much I read a lot of your and Jack Black's posts.

Zombie, it is a shame about all of the institutional knowledge that was lost from this thread due to photobucket's new policy. I think I posted every old knife I've owned here. I know we won't be getting a large chunk of those pics back.

And I can recall when we didn't have a traditional sub forum here on BF, but Spark eventually created one after hearing from members about the need for it.

Here are a couple that I previously posted and used in a book a while back:
KJV7fzr.jpg

M7lzWST.jpg
Mike I could look at those all day my friend.
Stunning Knives that deserve to be in a book for sure.
That Remington Bulldog is simply an outstanding Knife!

I used Bernard Levine's appraisal service a lot when I first started collecting and I'm still learning from him. (It has been the "red hot poker of knowledge" at times.)

Thank you Duncan. I appreciate the kind remarks. I had a lot of help (and knife pictures) from BF members on that book. Can't thank them enough.

So here is a knife I received yesterday. I'm using the seller's pictures because I can't seem to take any good ones myself. 4 ¼ closed.
kqUGDdh.jpg
u0WYU7Z.jpg
IIETMS7.jpg
0tLsPDt.jpg
TZlnkhL.jpg
anDQqzH.jpg

I used Bernard Levine's appraisal service a lot when I first started collecting and I'm still learning from him. (It has been the "red hot poker of knowledge" at times.)

Thank you Duncan. I appreciate the kind remarks. I had a lot of help (and knife pictures) from BF members on that book. Can't thank them enough.

So here is a knife I received yesterday. I'm using the seller's pictures because I can't seem to take any good ones myself. 4 ¼ closed.
kqUGDdh.jpg
u0WYU7Z.jpg
IIETMS7.jpg
0tLsPDt.jpg
TZlnkhL.jpg
anDQqzH.jpg

LOL! :D It's a great book for sure Mike, beautiful knife too :thumbsup:

Mike, what a BEAUTIFUL Hammer Brand!!! I had my eye on the beauty as well, congrats on a fantastic knife:cool::thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, LongBlade and Paul. Paul, I'm sure you saw in the auction that it has a tiny piece of bone gone, which worried me some, but it's very hard to see in hand. I bet it was a great knife for whittlin' back in the day.

Back