"Old Knives"

Nice find, Jack. I always get a thrill finding an interesting Sheffield knife over here, but I suspect a lot more knives moved in this direction, that toward you. Way cool!!

Killer EJs, Mike!! And the Robeson card!! Nice!!

A Queen City heavy jack in Rogers bone (1922-1945) and Kutmaster muskrat (1937-?).

gY4Zzhx.jpg

WSFj5Je.jpg

dJelxg6.jpg

Q5Qy8eb.jpg

- Stuart

Vp, Jack, Mike, Stuart and Leghog - nice showing of knives above :thumbsup: :thumbsup:...

Jack - a Remington over your side of the pond is a cool find :thumbsup: !! On this side of the pond in New England finding Sheffield knives in our area is not that unusual and I often wonder if it was because of the settlement here long ago in addition to the emigration of cutlers and workers in the industry. I've found some nice mid 1800s and a few earlier knives in our antique barns (lack of a better word for disorganized chaos in a shop of old objects of all sorts :) ) which probably came from local estate sales ... Than again we had a fair amount of imported knives from Sheffield coming to the US as well!!

Some great bone knives all and those last few by Stuart are stunners!!

Here is some sterling handles for a change of pace ;) ... Here was an unexpected score from a hunt and found in a “junk” box where the knife was buried on the bottom - an Empire sterling silver lobster knife at 2 1/8” closed. Funny thing is I didn’t have my reading glasses but was able to see Winsted on the tang stamp when I found it, and all the blades were snappy & tight. Given that and knowing all companies that were located there are worthwhile scores for me I snagged it for a bargain :).. . When I got home I grabbed my reading glasses and saw the Empire Winsted CT tang stamp. Further looking on the pile side handle revealed some apparent makers marks above sterling though they are very worn (see photo) - this knife must have seen a good amount of pocket time. To me this was a cool find and indeed the smallest Empire in my collection and I wonder if this was the smallest knife Empire made – in fact close to the smallest knife in all my collection sans my mini MOP clip blade at 1” with no makers mark (another cool find at an antique fair)…. This knife made my day when I found it :cool: … Nothing like the hunt :) ...

MY99j16.jpg

QtFKoQ8.jpg

yVCjjvG.jpg

Last edited:
Cool silver knife, LongBlade!! Is it linerless, pinned straight through the handles???

Nice find, Jack. I always get a thrill finding an interesting Sheffield knife over here, but I suspect a lot more knives moved in this direction, that toward you. Way cool!!

Thanks Charlie, I think you are right my friend :) :thumbsup:

Vp, Jack, Mike, Stuart and Leghog - nice showing of knives above :thumbsup: :thumbsup:...

Jack - a Remington over your side of the pond is a cool find :thumbsup: !! On this side of the pond in New England finding Sheffield knives in our area is not that unusual and I often wonder if it was because of the settlement here long ago in addition to the emigration of cutlers and workers in the industry. I've found some nice mid 1800s and a few earlier knives in our antique barns (lack of a better word for disorganized chaos in a shop of old objects of all sorts :) ) which probably came from local estate sales ... Than again we had a fair amount of imported knives from Sheffield coming to the US as well!!

Here is some sterling handles for a change of pace ;) ... Here was an unexpected score from a hunt and found in a “junk” box where the knife was buried on the bottom - an Empire sterling silver lobster knife at 2 1/8” closed. Funny thing is I didn’t have my reading glasses but was able to see Winsted on the tang stamp when I found it, and all the blades were snappy & tight. Given that and knowing all companies that were located there are worthwhile scores for me I snagged it for a bargain :).. . When I got home I grabbed my reading glasses and saw the Empire Winsted CT tang stamp. Further looking on the pile side handle revealed some apparent makers marks above sterling though they are very worn (see photo) - this knife must have seen a good amount of pocket time. To me this was a cool find and indeed the smallest Empire in my collection and I wonder if this was the smallest knife Empire made – in fact close to the smallest knife in all my collection sans my mini MOP clip blade at 1” with no makers mark (another cool find at an antique fair)…. This knife made my day when I found it :cool: … Nothing like the hunt :) ...

MY99j16.jpg

QtFKoQ8.jpg

yVCjjvG.jpg

Thank you my friend, it's certainly the first Remington I've found here, and out of the several hundred old knives I've bought here over the past 10 years, there's probably only about a dozen US made. That's a very nice find :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Charlie and Jack :thumbsup:..

Charlie - Indeed there is no liner and just solid silver covers... It actually has a little weight to it for a small knife ;) ...

View attachment 826827 View attachment 826215 View attachment 826217 Herder is one of the preeminent authorities on European knives .

That is an excellent example of a Henckels farmers jack. I would like to know the aforementioned difference in the WWI and other Henckels stamps Herder? And apx. age of the one you posted.
Thanks

Different period Henckel farmer jacks:

View attachment 826216 View attachment 826217

Thanks wlfryjr, but I am just one cog in a large gear of knowledge on this forum. :)
Nice group of Henckels Farmer's Jack models. I will have to do some digging on a timeline for these models, but I can date the earliest known Henckels Farmer's Jacks back to 1893.

Trying to keep up with this thread is pleasantly difficult. :)
Duckdog, Great Queen examples. They sure have unique and distinctive jigging.
LongBlade, Beautiful etch on that Miller Bros., and neat sterling Empire example.
V.P., several nice models shown including the Ulster and Imperial.
Old Engineer, Very nice Imperial easy open model
galvanic, Fantastic Nagle knives, especially the salesman sample set.
Jack, pretty little pearl Remington.
Leghog, wonderful group of military easy open models. I have a soft spot for those also.

Here is a bone handled Wostenholm English Jack with nickel silver rat tailed bolsters.

View attachment 827521

Thanks Charlie and Jack :thumbsup:..

Charlie - Indeed there is no liner and just solid silver covers... It actually has a little weight to it for a small knife ;) ...
Ah. So it's not a skeleton knife, and likely made in house. Very nice capture!!

Herder, that's a real nice I*XL EJ!! Looks good on the Literature!!

Herder - Super nice FJ :thumbsup:.. and the Indian Trail or Worm Groove bone is one of my favorites on knives for sure.. I imagine nickel silver liners are indeed more rare on what would be considered a hard working knife…

VP - Sweet Schrade pen :thumbsup: ... Schrade no doubt had some great jigging on their bone handles!

Lyle – you are the FJ King and those are indeed all lovely knives from your amazing collection :thumbsup:.. As I say - I can’t find any FJs to my liking from any cutleries I like or any for that matter as you have them all my friend!!

Stuart – great looking Union and Imperial… the bone is no doubt awesome on those too but the Union is killer :cool: – and there is just something about worm groove bone that is irresistible! Also I have never seen a pen knife with a spey blade – sweeeeet!!

Speaking of knives that have a story and are abit worn - here is a Miller Bros MOP sleeveboard to share... Despite the staining and crack in MOP near end pin on mark side this knife has a dark etch and the blades are the hardest snapping of any pen knife that I own...

rCbaNzT.jpg

The MOP on pile side is flawless :) -

DFQcwor.jpg

Closeup of etch -

ia0BkzM.jpg

Tang stamp without Meriden as seen on many Miller Bros -

cxvVlye.jpg

Cheers
Lee
Great knife Lee... Your pics of the MOP Sleeveboard reminded me of a knife that I picked up recently that had a similar pattern in the MOP. If you notice on the narrow end of your sleeveboard there is almost a fingernail looking pattern... take a look at my pics below you can see the same pattern. WEIRD! Anyway, this is an MOP pen by Stainless Cutlery Co, c. 1924-1940 per Goins which also said was a Camillus product :)

SSP1.JPG SSP2.JPG SSP3.JPG

- V_P

Thanks, LongBlade. I like that interesting lobster a lot, and the story of its discovery. I have an Empire, but it's a barehead jack in ebony - fairly humble.

Duckdog, Great Queen examples. They sure have unique and distinctive jigging.
Thanks, Herder. That's a handsome EJ, the jigging is intriguing.

Yes, there have been a wealth of fine old knives posted recently. Leghog and V_P, those are pretty special examples of that treasure trove. Thanks for sharing.
- Stuart

Duckdog my friend
Great Ol Robeson- you that is a grand Old Jack - if that were mine I would slightly take a wee bit more off that reshaped ( now Coping ) Blade and angle it off more to a a 45 degree like a proper Whittler Coping Blade, Knives like this quickly become favourites!

The Bone is interesting to say the least - is this a version of Robedon’s Strawberry Bone?

Jack - I actually said out loud “ oh awesome “ when reading of your find of that old Remington! My friend it’s the same here in New Zealand- I would tend to find the odd older Sheffield rather than an older USA Knife. So this is why so felt just how you would have upon finding that neat oldy :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Herder - Super nice FJ :thumbsup:.. and the Indian Trail or Worm Groove bone is one of my favorites on knives for sure.. I imagine nickel silver liners are indeed more rare on what would be considered a hard working knife…

VP - Sweet Schrade pen :thumbsup: ... Schrade no doubt had some great jigging on their bone handles!

Lyle – you are the FJ King and those are indeed all lovely knives from your amazing collection :thumbsup:.. As I say - I can’t find any FJs to my liking from any cutleries I like or any for that matter as you have them all my friend!!

Stuart – great looking Union and Imperial… the bone is no doubt awesome on those too but the Union is killer :cool: – and there is just something about worm groove bone that is irresistible! Also I have never seen a pen knife with a spey blade – sweeeeet!!

Speaking of knives that have a story and are abit worn - here is a Miller Bros MOP sleeveboard to share... Despite the staining and crack in MOP near end pin on mark side this knife has a dark etch and the blades are the hardest snapping of any pen knife that I own...

rCbaNzT.jpg

The MOP on pile side is flawless :) -

DFQcwor.jpg

Closeup of etch -

ia0BkzM.jpg

Tang stamp without Meriden as seen on many Miller Bros -

cxvVlye.jpg

Cheers
Lee

Longblade mate!!
What an outstanding old Millers. Great find!
Have you just found this old beauty or have you owned it for some time?
Thank you for sharing!

Jack, pretty little pearl Remington.
Leghog, wonderful group of military easy open models. I have a soft spot for those also.

Here is a bone handled Wostenholm English Jack with nickel silver rat tailed bolsters.

View attachment 827521

Thank you my friend, what a beautiful knife, the condition is incredible :) I love the jigging :thumbsup:

Jack - I actually said out loud “ oh awesome “ when reading of your find of that old Remington! My friend it’s the same here in New Zealand- I would tend to find the odd older Sheffield rather than an older USA Knife. So this is why so felt just how you would have upon finding that neat oldy :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Duncan :) :) :thumbsup:

Back