"Old Knives"

8DZV4DQ.jpg

Great knives Augie and Charlie. I need a bigger screen on my laptop.

I've posted this before. This IXL is a little over 4 1/2. It says "Virginian knife" on the blade.

Mike, just an absolutely stunning example of an English Jack, beautiful!

Old knife version of Wooden Wednesday... I happened to pick this one up the same day as my previous ebony Continental Cutlery coke bottle... this one is a Challenge Cutlery with tang stamp "Challenge" over "Cutl. Co." over "Bridgeport" over "Conn." My first Challenge Cutlery knife and I'm very impressed :):thumbsup: First thing I noticed when I opened it up was the awesome shield! For reference, the shield is 1-9/16" Long.

View attachment 934169 View attachment 934170 View attachment 934171

Kevin, great old Challenge, in my opinion Challenge is one on the higher quality vintage knives. I'm thinking it is a lighter cocobolo, I have a NYK teardrop that is close to that color.

Killer Miller North Shore. Nice collection. I have always like that pattern.

Thanks Charlie. I think I sent you that IXL years ago to CE and CF.

Was hoping to get a little help on identifying this knife. I can't make out the stamps on the tang. I purchased this a while back and have obviously used it. Although it doesn't really look that much different than when I received it. Other than the silicone on the punch. I added the bail to it. Pretty sure it's ebony scales as when I drilled the holes for the bail it was black all the way through. When I bought it it was referred to as a Sportsmens knife but I'm not sure how that actually came to be. Thanks in advance for your helpIMG_4148.JPG IMG_4146.PNG IMG_4147.PNG

Was hoping to get a little help on identifying this knife. I can't make out the stamps on the tang. I purchased this a while back and have obviously used it. Although it doesn't really look that much different than when I received it. Other than the silicone on the punch. I added the bail to it. Pretty sure it's ebony scales as when I drilled the holes for the bail it was black all the way through. When I bought it it was referred to as a Sportsmens knife but I'm not sure how that actually came to be. Thanks in advance for your helpView attachment 934945 View attachment 934943 View attachment 934944
I looked up "Othello" in Shakleford's guide, and found:

Othello: Moor's head (picture) see Anton Wingen, Jr.
Wingen, Anton, Jr. / Othello / Solingen Germany / Mfr. 1888-1996
That's quite an age range!

Wonderful groups of large jacks, Augie and waynorth. Hard to find as you guys say.

Beautiful Wostenholm, Mike R. Fine line between a large jack and an English jack, but I would lean towards an E.J. for your model.

Great old and rare Challenge Coke bottle V.P. and I agree on the "awesome" shield. It appears that Challenge only used it on that big fellow.

Nice group of rope knives, North Shore.

Interesting Wingen multi-blade, Lostball, which probably dates to around the WWII era.

I looked up "Othello" in Shakleford's guide, and found:

Othello: Moor's head (picture) see Anton Wingen, Jr.
Wingen, Anton, Jr. / Othello / Solingen Germany / Mfr. 1888-1996
That's quite an age range!

Wonderful groups of large jacks, Augie and waynorth. Hard to find as you guys say.

Beautiful Wostenholm, Mike R. Fine line between a large jack and an English jack, but I would lean towards an E.J. for your model.

Great old and rare Challenge Coke bottle V.P. and I agree on the "awesome" shield. It appears that Challenge only used it on that big fellow.

Nice group of rope knives, North Shore.

Interesting Wingen multi-blade, Lostball, which probably dates to around the WWII era.

Thank you so much r8shell, I would've never gotten Othello or Wingen out of either one of those stamps. After you posted that I now can see them in the stamp. Thank you for the great eye and experience. And that is quite a lengthy time of service from a company that I've never heard of. Not that I'm in the know of that many of the older companies. But I don't think I've ever seen another knife of that brand.

Thanks herder for the dating estimate. I greatly appreciate your input. The knife is a little loose at this stage of it's life but still solid. Especially the saw. It does a great job of cutting circles out of the ceiling tiles.

Thank you so much r8shell, I would've never gotten Othello or Wingen out of either one of those stamps. After you posted that I now can see them in the stamp. Thank you for the great eye and experience. And that is quite a lengthy time of service from a company that I've never heard of. Not that I'm in the know of that many of the older companies. But I don't think I've ever seen another knife of that brand.

Thanks herder for the dating estimate. I greatly appreciate your input. The knife is a little loose at this stage of it's life but still solid. Especially the saw. It does a great job of cutting circles out of the ceiling tiles.
I'm glad I could help, Lostball. Sometimes if I stare at a stamp for a bit, I can make out enough to do a search. Which is funny, because I often have trouble with those "captcha" tests. :D

I'm glad I could help, Lostball. Sometimes if I stare at a stamp for a bit, I can make out enough to do a search. Which is funny, because I often have trouble with those "captcha" tests. :D

Thanks again r8shell. You would think that with a date range like that we could easily support a "Let's see your Wingen's" thread.:D:D

Wow! You guys are picking up some great knives! :eek: Makes me want to hit the road again! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Found a few okay knives at the flea market this morning. This was my favorite, an ERA James Barber Sheffield. Can anyone offer an age range on it?

View attachment 932235

According to Geoff Tweedale, I & J Barber (James Barber) was established in 1802. The founder was Isaac Barber (1788-1854). James (1818-1859) was his son. I haven't checked the date of the ERA trademark, but GT reckons it was used from the mid 19th century, and possibly from as early as 1835. 'James Barber' was also used, particularly on razors. Isaac and James died within a few years of each other, in 1854 and 1859, respectively. Afterwards, James' wife Harriet took control of the business, which in 1861, had 16 employees. The business soon passed to her son Edward, but after he died in 1885, his widow Mary Ann took over. By 1900 I & J Barber were at Era Works, with Mary Ann's son James running the firm. Before 1914 the Barber name and mark passed to Thomas Ellin. The firm was listed (now part of Joseph Elliot) until the 1970's.

Back