"Old Knives"

Stuart, that is one fine knife you have there. I was just thinking this morning that this thread needed a boost and that Case did the trick. Congrats.

Interesting Ulster. I have the single blade version with double pulls in a little rougher shape than that beauty. The saw teeth look to have nice offset and no doubt it would work as intended.

Interesting Ulster. I have the single blade version with double pulls in a little rougher shape than that beauty. The saw teeth look to have nice offset and no doubt it would work as intended.

Thanks blademan 13, and it was surely made as a workhorse.
I have catalog illustrations for the Ulster Coke bottle knives dating back to 1890, and none show double pulls.
The double pulls seemed to be most popular during the 1920s, and Ulster used them on quite a few different models.
Other companies used double pulls as well.

Stuart- What a great Old Case! Thank you for sharing this one- I could only imagine the excitement securing the but on that one!

Herder my friend - What a great Ulster! To find such a Knife is such great condition is such a plus! Well done!

A Queen City equal end pen (1922-1945) and a New York Knife Co. (Walden, 1856-1931) in a fish pattern. Bernard Levine opines that the fish knife is the precursor to the fishtail pattern.

vC8yOy5.jpg

nZhOqH8.jpg

G05EjbS.jpg

MnyeLZB.jpg

- Stuart

Large Coke bottle folding hunters with an additional saw blade are not common, but a few cutlery companies produced them.
Here is an old example from Ulster which also has an uncommon and interesting double nail nick on the main blade.

View attachment 938313

I've never seen a Coke bottle hunter with a saw and your example is stellar !! What the perfect camp knife :D:thumbsup:

A Queen City equal end pen (1922-1945) and a New York Knife Co. (Walden, 1856-1931) in a fish pattern. Bernard Levine opines that the fish knife is the precursor to the fishtail pattern.

vC8yOy5.jpg

nZhOqH8.jpg

G05EjbS.jpg

MnyeLZB.jpg

- Stuart

Your Fish is quite the catch, Stuart !!:eek: Your specimen has me mesmerized :) Such crisp stamps, those bolsters ( the bolsters )...the curves...and shield so complimentary and exuding essence. ...the pocket time and history it exhibits. Why am I thinking ....Steller's Sea Cow ;) cool...

Your Fish is quite the catch, Stuart !!:eek: Your specimen has me mesmerized :) Such crisp stamps, those bolsters ( the bolsters )...the curves...and shield so complimentary and exuding essence. ...the pocket time and history it exhibits. Why am I thinking ....Steller's Sea Cow ;) cool...

I second what only our good friend Gev can say in the wonderful way he words his gracious comments.

Thanks, Gev and Duncan. I agree with your identification, Gev - a manatee manikin it is.

Coincidentally, the only picture that Bernard Levine shows of a fish knife in his 1985 Guide to Knives and Their Values, at page 129, is a New York Knife Co. model much like mine (same blades, some butt bolster, however, it has wood covers, Hammer Brand blade etch, and curved tang stamp).

- Stuart

Last edited:
Thanks, Gev and Duncan. I agree with your identification, Gev - a manatee manikin it is.

Coincidentally, the only picture that Bernard Levine shows of a fish knife in his 1985 Guide to Knives and Their Values, at page 129, is a New York Knife Co. model much like mine (same blades, some butt bolster, however, it has wood covers, Hammer Brand blade etch, and curved tang stamp).

- Stuart
Thanks my friend, Duncan :D

Stuart, I've only ever seen three other examples of the Dugong;)( swam with the real thing behind the scenes at Sea World )...two misses..the third I never had a chance. I'll see if I saved pics

Here's an interesting old Keen Kutter given to me by my Grandad, who also shared a love of pocket knife collecting. If my memory serves correct, it was an antique store find. The pile side has "Relief Society 1938" listed on it. The Relief Society was a philanthropic woman's organization associated with the LDS Church, thank you Wikipedia.

GGq6i1j_d.jpg

8ulV7dJ_d.jpg

I've been busy adding to the old knife pile... here are a couple @r8shell inspired M.O.P. rescues ;) The United Cut Co I posted on Carl's Porch thread yesterday but have some better pictures here, like I mentioned, that was one of the many A Kastor & Sons trademarks c.1908-1922. The Clark Bros knife I bought just to inspect the tang stamp and when I got it, I couldn't believe how much steel they packed into such a little knife, no wonder the poor pearl burst at the seems, LoL :D Anyway, Goins has a Clark Bros from the early 1900's being in Kansas City, MO but this knife is clearly a German knife so it is likely one of those knives that were branded for Clark Bros by a German importer, early 1900s. Lastly is my first Robeson ShurEdge PocketEze :) PocketEze and EyeCandyEze :D

UNITED-1A.JPG UNITED-1B.JPG UNITED-1C.JPG
CLARK-1D.JPG
CLARK-1E.JPG
CLARK-1C.JPG
PE-1A.JPG
PE-1B.JPG
PE-1C.JPG
PE-1D.JPG

Kevin the pocketeze is a beauty but the Clark Bros is super cool. Everything about that knife is special.

Bolster Heaven going on there Kevin.

To add- when can you ever go wrong with the pocket eze’s - Sunken joints are such a magnificent feature.

Speaking of Sunken Joints - DCMcElroy - that Serpentine frame KK is an old beauty!

Back