"Old Knives"

I think I finally have something to contribute. Tang mark - Schmidt & Peters / New York. Other side marked - Vom Cleff & Co / Germany. The little I could find revealed Schmidt & Peters as an importer of wine in the late 1800's til around 1900. The scales appear to be ivory to me. Please feel free to correct any of this if I am in error and I'd love any further info.
Also - it is my understanding that this (may) be considered a lobster even though just two blades??? fullsizeoutput_4e4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4e6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4e2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4e3.jpeg Levine mentions a two-blade version.

Nice one Dwight! :thumbsup:
Hard to tell between bone and Ivory from here.
Thanks Mark. Yeah, I agree about the bone or ivory and I am simply too much of a novice to know for sure. I'm trying to think positive :D ... until someone shoots it down... :oops:
Seriously I'm hoping maybe Jack or one of the many other experts will be able to tell.
Very cool knife, it most definitely wins the phallic award.
Thanks and lol...

Dwight, what a wonderful knife! Wonder if the bolsters/shape have any certain meaning, or if they are just fancy?

That is a wonderful and pretty unusual pattern, which you could call a "Dog Bone Lobster" model. It is indeed a very old knife dating to around 1900.
Always hard to tell from a picture, but I would lean towards bone over ivory on your model.
Enclosed is a similar styled German knife from an 1899 catalog. The description says: "Ivory handles with two blades and a nail file".

View attachment 942336

I think I finally have something to contribute. Tang mark - Schmidt & Peters / New York. Other side marked - Vom Cleff & Co / Germany. The little I could find revealed Schmidt & Peters as an importer of wine in the late 1800's til around 1900. The scales appear to be ivory to me. Please feel free to correct any of this if I am in error and I'd love any further info.
Also - it is my understanding that this (may) be considered a lobster even though just two blades??? View attachment 942095 View attachment 942096 View attachment 942097 View attachment 942098 Levine mentions a two-blade version.
Nice knife Dwight :):thumbsup: Goins lists Vom Cleff & Co as being c.1885-1926 and Price & Zalesky say they were importers c.1887-1930. Their offices were at 105 Duane St in New York City which was next door to H Boker & Co located at 101-103 Duane St. Below are a couple of neat excerpts I found:

From 1902 (The Iron Age Vol 69):

VC2-1902.JPG

From 1908 (Successful German-Americans and Their Descendants):

VC-1908.JPG

From 1917 (The American Cutler):

VC3-1917.JPG

That is a wonderful and pretty unusual pattern, which you could call a "Dog Bone Lobster" model. It is indeed a very old knife dating to around 1900.
Always hard to tell from a picture, but I would lean towards bone over ivory on your model.
Enclosed is a similar styled German knife from an 1899 catalog. The description says: "Ivory handles with two blades and a nail file".

View attachment 942336
Thank you much for the response. I appreciate the added information about the pattern.

Nice knife Dwight :):thumbsup: Goins lists Vom Cleff & Co as being c.1885-1926 and Price & Zalesky say they were importers c.1887-1930. Their offices were at 105 Duane St in New York City which was next door to H Boker & Co located at 101-103 Duane St. Below are a couple of neat excerpts I found:

From 1902 (The Iron Age Vol 69):

View attachment 942340

From 1908 (Successful German-Americans and Their Descendants):

View attachment 942341

From 1917 (The American Cutler):

View attachment 942342
Kevin you are so kind to search out and provide me with so much excellent info. Thank you!

Alas amigos... then tis bone. I appreciate the responses. I surely do love this little knife.
It mentions they imported some from France which made me wonder if it may be "French Ivory" aka celluloid made to represent ivory. Although to me the pattern in your knife does not appear to be as uniform as the French Ivory patterns. Just wanted to put that out there for discussion. The time period is right, but I'm thinking bone too.

*ADDED: not that French Ivory was French but it triggered the thought :D

VC.JPG

VC4.JPG

Last edited:
Back