"Old Knives"

BD (Brandoch Daha) traveled today for the first time, and got his first work in as well. The wonderful action and the positive tactility of the jigging makes it an absolute joy to use.

pOQxuWO.jpg

I also got in a couple more photos of the Hartshead Barlow this afternoon.

ExJfZa1.jpg

te9fqLf.jpg
Nice HH and Waynorth Jeff, but what did I miss? Tell me about BD please!! The name?

Here are the "studio" photos of the Ulster sailor's knife... took a little of the grime off, gave it an edge and a little oil brought the closing snap back on the blade :):thumbsup:

View attachment 1153083

View attachment 1153084 View attachment 1153085 View attachment 1153086 View attachment 1153087 View attachment 1153088

Seeing this old sailor brought back to life reminded me of a verse from one of my favorite songs.
I was a sailor, born upon the tide,
with the sea I did abide.
I sailed a schooner around the horn to Mexico,
I went aloft to furl the mainsail in a blow.
And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed,
But I am living still

I wasn’t a big fan of toothpicks till I saw this NYK. 5” with steel bolsters and stamped 178 on pile side tang. Blade looks full but has been cleaned and the Hammer etch is barely visible...:( Still a sweet old knife in great condition and I like the mismatched covers.

Last edited:
I wasn’t a big fan of toothpicks till I saw this NYK. 5” with steel bolsters and stamped 178 on pile side tang. Blade is full but has been cleaned and the Hammer etch is barely visible...:( Still a sweet old knife in nice condition and I like the mismatched covers.
That is certainly a rare beauty!

jj cahill- two nice old Robesons!:thumbsup:

Hey Nick- that's a cool Ol' Pick there matey! :) Cleaned or uncleaned, I am sure anyone else who came across that Knife would have picked it up - quickly!

I wasn’t a big fan of toothpicks till I saw this NYK. 5” with steel bolsters and stamped 178 on pile side tang. Blade looks full but has been cleaned and the Hammer etch is barely visible...:( Still a sweet old knife in great condition and I like the mismatched covers.

One after another masterpiece!!!!What an eye ;)

Seeing this old sailor brought back to life reminded me of a verse from one of my favorite songs.
But I am living still
Amen to that David ;)

But I am living still
Kris sang those lines, didn't he? What a group!

Back