"Old Knives"

Thanks you Guys- Charlie and Paul - lol Paul...the shaking was the excitement of talking to you my friend!
Yeah- That Ol Black Stag is something else- What a Knife.

Actually- Glenn- That may not be an Ettrick- I always get them mixed between what they call a Peach Pruner or the slightly shorter Blade the Ettrick! I have seen variances of both!

Thanks, danno50, Campbellclanman, and waynorth.

Campbellclanman, WOW, what an incredible group of Camillus made Craftsman knives!!! All wonderful examples, but that Scout model really turns my socks inside out. :)
As waynorth suggested, Camillus used to get the short end of the stick, but they certainly made some high quality knives including those with the Craftsman labels.

Glennbad, Great old English pruner, and I love that full length blade stamp.

With Camillus in mind, here is an electricians TL29 model which was most likely made during WWII. It has the 3 line serif stamp and nice jigged bone handles.
What I find most interesting though is that the liners, liner lock, bail, and bolsters are all made of steel (no brass probably due to the war effort).

View attachment 1207135

Thanks, danno50, Campbellclanman, and waynorth.

Campbellclanman, WOW, what an incredible group of Camillus made Craftsman knives!!! All wonderful examples, but that Scout model really turns my socks inside out. :)
As waynorth suggested, Camillus used to get the short end of the stick, but they certainly made some high quality knives including those with the Craftsman labels.

Glennbad, Great old English pruner, and I love that full length blade stamp.

With Camillus in mind, here is an electricians TL29 model which was most likely made during WWII. It has the 3 line serif stamp and nice jigged bone handles.
What I find most interesting though is that the liners, liner lock, bail, and bolsters are all made of steel (no brass probably due to the war effort).

View attachment 1207135
A treasure of a utility knife, Neal!!!:cool: A TL-29 with class!!!:)

Ulster/Schade made Craftsman for Sears.
Craftsman%2520Peach%2520Seed.JPG

From top to bottom: Craftsman 9507/Ulster 180. Craftsman 9473/Ulster 89, Craftsman 9524/Schrade Walden 708, Craftsman 9549/Ulster 114. The 9507 is a daily carry.
Ulster%2520180%2520-%2520Craftsman%25209507%2520Open.JPG

Craftsman%25209473%2520Open.JPG

Craftsman%25209524%2520Two%2520Blades%2520Open.JPG

Craftsman%25209549%2520-%2520Ulster%2520114.JPG

I think this early Imperial Stockman is fairly scarce, only marked Hammer Brand and as far as I can tell it is the mid to late 1930's tang stamp. Knife has bone handles and full blades. I bought it just to experiment with cleaning up rusted vintage knives, the rust was pretty bad on this one, looks like it just sat and rusted for many years, not done yet but it is turning out nice.

IMG_0918.jpg IMG_0921.jpg IMG_0914.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Looks like you are having fun, John. It's nice to see a knife from when Imperial first took over the "Hammer Brand"!!!

Lookin GOOD John, gem of a knife, a great one to pocket and use:thumbsup:

Thanks guys, Paul I am going to carry it, takes a nice edge. Charlie, it does seem that not a lot of these early Hammer Brands show up, they are pretty high quality when compared to later Imperial's.

Quality is right John, I THINKo_O I posted this one last year but until you posted yours I had not seen another. It is a prime example of cutlery quality. I carry mine from time to time because it's so nice but not often enough due to my carry preference when it comes to size. Gets crazy sharp;)
fubLc6.jpg

6uTf7w.jpg

h3Jbrf.jpg

Ik7ubv.jpg

Oops, thought I had merged both of these in one posto_O Here's a four line Camillus like the One herder and Pal, leghog posted above, the bone on this and the Hammer Brand Stockman are pretty awesome:thumbsup: Steel "heavy duty" liners as well on this beasty Electrician knife:thumbsup:
pL9Ezr.jpg

PKNoCZ.jpg

9lZLSX.jpg

EuYyG6.jpg

Last edited:
Quality is right John, I THINKo_O I posted this one last year but until you posted yours I had not seen another. It is a prime example of cutlery quality. I carry mine from time to time because it's so nice but not often enough due to my carry preference when it comes to size. Gets crazy sharp;)
fubLc6.jpg

6uTf7w.jpg

h3Jbrf.jpg

Ik7ubv.jpg

That is really nice Paul, good to see another one. Jeff, they are a large Stockman, just under 4".

fubLc6.jpg

6uTf7w.jpg

h3Jbrf.jpg

Ik7ubv.jpg
Paul, you and John belong to the Elite Early Imperial club!!

I agree with the lads John, ok- educate me my friend- I know that we are looking at a Hammer Brand marked Knife- what is it that’s making you think Imperial? I read that Imperial took over in ‘36 was it? Is it because the N.Y. Bone is no longer and we are looking at Rogers Stag Bone instead with the Hammer Brand? Or rather - the change of the actual Tang stamp that brings it into Imperials era? Sorry for the 20 questions matey.
Both Paul and John - very nice Stockmans.

Leg hog - a very nice trio of Craftsman my friend AND a great Bone Pal TL - just great !

Oh my Paul - upon my visit we may have to do some bartering my friend- Whew - That Cammy is Sweet!

I agree with the lads John, ok- educate me my friend- I know that we are looking at a Hammer Brand marked Knife- what is it that’s making you think Imperial? I read that Imperial took over in ‘36 was it? Is it because the N.Y. Bone is no longer and we are looking at Rogers Stag Bone instead with the Hammer Brand? Or rather - the change of the actual Tang stamp that brings it into Imperials era? Sorry for the 20 questions matey.
Both Paul and John - very nice Stockmans.

Leg hog - a very nice trio of Craftsman my friend AND a great Bone Pal TL - just great !

Oh my Paul - upon my visit we may have to do some bartering my friend- Whew - That Cammy is Sweet!

Duncan, you pretty well summed it up as I understand it buddy, Imperial started using the Hammer Brand stamp around 1936 and the only stamp on the knives is the Hammer Brand. I don't think they took over the NYK Co company just bought the logo. The Rogers bone was used early and we have seen it on WW2 military knives made by Imperial which are also good quality. I can't recall Imperial using bone much after WW2.
Here is a link to a previous discussion that has some of the history.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cool-old-hammer-brand.1307942/

Back