"Old Knives"

Lovely knife, Dan!! Having had that knife in my hands,:) I can attest to Duncan's words!! There were some amazing cutlers in Solingen!! Those scissors were built on a curve, to lay snugly into the spine of the knife!!!:eek:

mmmm, so this knife is passing through some serious lad's hands eh? ;), that's actually really cool to see- Great showing!
Charlie, that's very interesting what you said of the scissors being curved, I didn't pick up on that but what I did notice is the way the scissors lie flat in the Liners and not on their side as most or near all do - so that's VERY Cool! :cool:

Thank you for the comments Charlie and Duncan. Yep Duncan, I did purchase this one from Charlie. After I commented on it in the Simmons/Keen Kutter thread, Charlie very kindly offered to sell it to me, for a very fair (to me) price. Charlie's scans, in the Simmons thread, show the curve in the scissors.

Here is a lovely, hefty, 3 3/8" knife stamped "SIMMONS/HDWE Co/GERMANY" on the three cutting blades, with a stylized hornet stamped on the back of each blade. The file and the scissors are unstamped. The stamps on each of the blades have minor differences. Sellens says that E.C. Simmons sold these from 1883 to 1917. Levine gives a date of circa 1890s. Goins does not have a listing for this exact stamping, but does give dates for the hornet stamping of 1890 to 1915. The previous owner posted this in the Simmons/Keen Kutter thread, but I don't believe it has been posted in this thread. The Keen Kutter thread disappears into obscurity pretty quickly after a posting.

View attachment 1214547 View attachment 1214548 View attachment 1214549 View attachment 1214550 View attachment 1214551 View attachment 1214552 View attachment 1214553 View attachment 1214554

Beautiful knife and the salesman sample etch is a wonderful enhancement. What I like the best though is how the scissors fold so uniquely into the back of the handle.
Great piece and great of Charlie to pass it on to you!!!

Here is a lovely, hefty, 3 3/8" knife stamped "SIMMONS/HDWE Co/GERMANY" on the three cutting blades, with a stylized hornet stamped on the back of each blade. The file and the scissors are unstamped. The stamps on each of the blades have minor differences. Sellens says that E.C. Simmons sold these from 1883 to 1917. Levine gives a date of circa 1890s. Goins does not have a listing for this exact stamping, but does give dates for the hornet stamping of 1890 to 1915. The previous owner posted this in the Simmons/Keen Kutter thread, but I don't believe it has been posted in this thread. The Keen Kutter thread disappears into obscurity pretty quickly after a posting.

View attachment 1214547 View attachment 1214548 View attachment 1214549 View attachment 1214550 View attachment 1214551 View attachment 1214552 View attachment 1214553 View attachment 1214554
OH MY!!! what a lovely knife Dan:cool::cool::cool:

Thank you, Mike.

I wonder if anyone would have any ideas on what German cutlery might have made this knife for Simmons? I have ordered Carter's book on German knives, but not sure if I will find any of this type of info in there or not?

That's quite a knife! I have never seen scissors configured like that.

Nothin fancy but one I like. A Camillus made for Sears? Trapper with great bone, fairly worn blades that are centered in the wells with no play (I like the Saber Main blade). Not sure of the age but guessing 40's-60's? Tang stamp is MADE IN USA, I've also seen them stamped STA SHARP and HIGH CARBON USA also.
n8QTvd.jpg

1tG37s.jpg

heSzPc.jpg

Niju2D.jpg

JrLy6c.jpg

tDHY8U.jpg

kmvIEu.jpg

Nothin fancy but one I like. A Camillus made for Sears? Trapper with great bone, fairly worn blades that are centered in the wells with no play (I like the Saber Main blade). Not sure of the age but guessing 40's-60's? Tang stamp is MADE IN USA, I've also seen them stamped STA SHARP and HIGH CARBON USA also.
n8QTvd.jpg

1tG37s.jpg

heSzPc.jpg

Niju2D.jpg

JrLy6c.jpg

tDHY8U.jpg

kmvIEu.jpg

Nice one Paul, here is one with the StaSharp stamp.

IMG_9119.jpg

Wow- Nice Knife Paul!!!! and a nice follow up Augie! Beautiful Knives.
Jeff- That's a neat Knife with the Keen Kutter Shield, and I could imagine either Cal or Codger having a super low numbered Schrade! :D :thumbsup:

Back