1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Lovely knife, Dan!! Having had that knife in my hands,:) I can attest to Duncan's words!! There were some amazing cutlers in Solingen!! Those scissors were built on a curve, to lay snugly into the spine of the knife!!!:eek:

Campbellclanman likes this.
  2. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    mmmm, so this knife is passing through some serious lad's hands eh? ;), that's actually really cool to see- Great showing!
    Charlie, that's very interesting what you said of the scissors being curved, I didn't pick up on that but what I did notice is the way the scissors lie flat in the Liners and not on their side as most or near all do - so that's VERY Cool! :cool:

3. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Thank you for the comments Charlie and Duncan. Yep Duncan, I did purchase this one from Charlie. After I commented on it in the Simmons/Keen Kutter thread, Charlie very kindly offered to sell it to me, for a very fair (to me) price. Charlie's scans, in the Simmons thread, show the curve in the scissors.

Ramrodmb and Campbellclanman like this.
  4. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Beautiful knife and the salesman sample etch is a wonderful enhancement. What I like the best though is how the scissors fold so uniquely into the back of the handle.
    Great piece and great of Charlie to pass it on to you!!!

Ramrodmb and Campbellclanman like this.
  5. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    That li'l Feller is Stellar! a BIG thumbs up!

6. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    OH MY!!! what a lovely knife Dan:cool::cool::cool:

knowtracks and Campbellclanman like this.
  7. danno50

Apr 15, 2008
    Thank your for the kind comments, herder, tongueriver and Paul.

8. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Late to the party, but what a beauty Dan!

9. danno50

Apr 15, 2008
    Thank you, Mike.

I wonder if anyone would have any ideas on what German cutlery might have made this knife for Simmons? I have ordered Carter's book on German knives, but not sure if I will find any of this type of info in there or not?

10. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    That's quite a knife! I have never seen scissors configured like that.

knowtracks likes this.
  11. paulhilborn

Mar 22, 2006
    Nothin fancy but one I like. A Camillus made for Sears? Trapper with great bone, fairly worn blades that are centered in the wells with no play (I like the Saber Main blade). Not sure of the age but guessing 40's-60's? Tang stamp is MADE IN USA, I've also seen them stamped STA SHARP and HIGH CARBON USA also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Really nice bone, Paul!

Cutfinger and Campbellclanman like this.
  13. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Nice one Paul, here is one with the StaSharp stamp.

IMG_9119.jpg

14. paulhilborn

Mar 22, 2006
    Thanks Jeff, it's all ready broken in so carrying this one will be guilt free:)

My My John, absolutely stunning Sta Sharp:eek::cool::cool::cool: You know the approx age John?

Campbellclanman, Cutfinger and Augie like this.
  15. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Paul, I looked into it once before and if I remember right somewhere right around WW2, just before to just after.

16. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    At 50 years of age, I think this qualifies for the Oldies thread. Near new Keen Kutter Schrade Walden 897UH (blade etch is faint, but visible).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. paulhilborn

Mar 22, 2006
    I'd say so Jeff and quite nicely. I always liked the old Schrade Walden one's with the serial #inside. Yours is the lowest serial # I've ever seen:cool:

Thanks John:thumbsup:

Augie, Campbellclanman and TonySal like this.
  18. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Paul. I think Calvin or Codger had a Walden 165OT with a super low serial number, only one or two digits, if I remember correctly.

19. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow- Nice Knife Paul!!!! and a nice follow up Augie! Beautiful Knives.
    Jeff- That's a neat Knife with the Keen Kutter Shield, and I could imagine either Cal or Codger having a super low numbered Schrade! :D :thumbsup:

TonySal and Augie like this.
  20. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Yes, actually we BOTH have had the same knife, a 165OT with serial # 0009. It is posted in the Schrade Fixed Blades thread a few days ago. Meanwhile, that 897UH is a super little knife; I had to do a double take when I realized... yes!... 50 years! My, the years have flown! We lost two good member friends this year, maybe more. Keep those cards & l.... er... um... knives coming!

TonySal and Campbellclanman like this.