"Old Knives"

Kevin's is only the second Ulster, other than mine, that I have seen stamped this way, with the DWIGHT/DIVINE & SONS/U.S.A.

Let me add another to the list. This pruner is stamped Ulster/Dwight Divine/&Sons USA.
DJGw2XM.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Dwight Devine's folks- great viewing, Lloyd - dont turn your back when Lyall is around that Knife my friend :D

Lovely knife, Lloyd! Wharncliff frame and master blade, rat tail bolster and cap, and beautiful old pick bone!:thumbsup:
Very nice pruner, lambertiana, but the stamp is not quite the same. Kevin's, mine and Lloyd's knives do not have ULSTER included in the stamp on the master blades, they are stamped DWIGHT/DIVINE & SONS/U.S.A. Lloyd's knife make four that I have seen with this exact stamp, not that I have actually handled a lot of Ulsters.

Great knives Lloyd, lambertiana, and Mike.
Beautiful Dwight Devine's folks- great viewing, Lloyd - dont turn your back when Lyall is around that Knife my friend :D

It's a wharncliffe,it's old, a great mark, it's got my favorite so called pick bone bone handles, but it doesn't have a pruning or budding blade.:) I would love it though.

The bone handles on Lloyd's Ulster are common on various early makers' bone handles. ( most all bone handles were called STAG or bone stag in early catalog cuts). Most collectors now refer to this style as so called pick bone, whether done by machine or hand?. Makers such as Schrade, Walden, NYK, Empire, obviously Ulster, and I imagine others.

On left 4" Walden Farmers jack, right 4 1/8" Empire made DE Farmers jack:
Empire  comparison & Walden.jpg

NYK 4" Farmers jack:

NYK pickbone etch Hammer Brand.jpg

Last edited:
I myself do not have anything new to show off,that you have not seen me already show off,but,check this out ,not mine but just sharing
-Vince
great knives i personally can't afford customs yet but can't wait for that day. also i was wondering if anyone else uses reddit for knives and knife pics?

I do not. With the clouds ,computers, and a membership (I think you need one on BFs to post your images from your devices?)I don’t have a need.

I always post directly from my computer files. I don't understand the need for third party hosting; I know there must be a reason.

I always post directly from my computer files. I don't understand the need for third party hosting; I know there must be a reason.
I take pics and post from my smartphone quite often. I'd need to resize my pics to post directly. It's easier for me to post from imgur.
The next BF software update is supposed to allow for auto resizing. I suspect I'll post directly when that happens.

Lovely knife, Lloyd! Wharncliff frame and master blade, rat tail bolster and cap, and beautiful old pick bone!:thumbsup:
Very nice pruner, lambertiana, but the stamp is not quite the same. Kevin's, mine and Lloyd's knives do not have ULSTER included in the stamp on the master blades, they are stamped DWIGHT/DIVINE & SONS/U.S.A. Lloyd's knife make four that I have seen with this exact stamp, not that I have actually handled a lot of Ulsters.
That is interesting danno, I looked back at several of my other Divine's and they all do have the Ulster over the D.D & Sons but without any USA. So it looks to me like our stamps happen around the time they started adding U.S.A. to the stamps. You can see on our knives along with Lloyd's farmer jack, they pushed off the Ulster to add the USA underneath but they eventually crammed the '& SONS USA' on one line like lambertiana's pruner. I think they added the U.S.A closer to WWII or at least after Albert Baer took over. Shortly after he dropped the Dwight Divine name altogether. My oldest Ulster's just say Ulster / Knife Co / NY. Like this old pruner.

ULSTPR-1A.JPG

Last edited:
That is interesting danno, I looked back at several of my other Divine's and they all do have the Ulster over the D.D & Sons but without any USA. So it looks to me like our stamps happen around the time they started adding U.S.A. to the stamps. You can see on our knives along with Lloyd's farmer jack, they pushed off the Ulster to add the USA underneath but they eventually crammed the '& SONS USA' on one line like lambertiana's pruner. I think they added the U.S.A closer to WWII or at least after Albert Baer took over. Shortly after he dropped the Dwight Divine name altogether. My oldest Ulster's just say Ulster / Knife Co / NY. Like this old pruner.

View attachment 1264999

Interesting info, Kevin, thanks for adding this. :thumbsup:

Nice old Ulsters Kevin and John.

Lloyd’s knife is beautiful, but it’s not a farmers jack. A typical wharncliffe knife with a wharncliffe blade rather than a pruning blade.

Farmers jacks are “typically” apx. 4”, most wharncliffe knives are typically smaller.

Thanks Lyle - yes I did see it was a Wharncliffe - I just thought the frame pattern would set you off :) :thumbsup: That NYK Farmers Jack is a firehouses Knife my friend.

Nice old Ulsters everyone!!

That stockman, even in its' condition, is something special!

Thanks Glenn, Paul, both knives popped up last week on that auction site for a cheap BIN, I wanted the jack and was really surprised with the stockman, it almost feels like a peanut stockman, packs a lot in a small package.

Back