"Old Knives"

Apparently the Bunny knife was popular and necessary when rabbits, an introduced species, overran:eek: Australia (and New Zealand?)l
Germany got into the act as well as Sheffield. Geez, Mildred, Bunny pie AGAIN??:eek::D
The A.Wright is not an old knife of course!:p
View attachment 1310900 View attachment 1310901 View attachment 1310902 View attachment 1310903 View attachment 1310904 View attachment 1310905

I need to find a genuine rabbit knife. I have a Puma Prospector, which is the same pattern, but a genuine Australia-market rabbit knife is now on my list.

Thank you very much everyone for the kind comments and your thoughts! Interesting!

Herder my very first thoughts were of the Bunny Knife and I looked into that even during the sale of the knife - I found too many variables to convince me it was one, such as:
1, The Bunny Knives I have seen all seem to have a slight curvature of the Spine in their pattern shape, this knife is a very plain - straight shaped Jack.

2, As Lambertiana mentioned about the tip and Spine...... The Tip hasn’t been touched on the Ascending Spine towards the Tip - the long deep curvature has a slight Swage mark that still has perfect factory finish - even under Magnifying. It does have scratches as if having the tip used in piercing ( scratches going toward the Bolsters)
The long deep Turkish Clip hasn’t been introduced after manufacturing ( I have Re - tipped a lot of broken tips ) and is original - hence the Nail Nick in its awkward placement. So when I compared this to many of the Bunny Knives I could not find an equivalent :confused:

3, When I magnify the edge of the Blade - the edge is so very fine like factory and extremely tidly comes to the end of the blade perfectly to the “Choil” as you can see in the photo blown up for the stamping.

Thank everyone for the help - it’s very much appreciated! Herder my friend - Thank you for digging up the catalog photos of the Herder - great stuff!
A Bunny Knife it may be - which is why it took my attention before I even bid on the knife - as I thought it would be one ( and hoping it was marked as such )and came to these conclusions before I won the Auction.
Thank you for showing us your great line up

The Stamping too Augie I picked up on with the upward arch under the Maltese Crosses .

I even thought it may be an Indian copy - some of them a getting extremely good now - but when I look at small details as the Bolsters finished so well one has to look closely because first glance you think Integral , also the font work is too good.

But there’s something about the knife that does not look right and I am a bit disappointed in Rodgers with that design as Harry says :thumbsup:

Nice pen, Augie!! Well selected for its beautiful patina and exquisite handles!! It's nice to find an absolutely mint knife, thereby preserving the past, but I prefer they carry some history and beauty combined!!:cool:

Picked up this sweet 3 1/4" Cattaraugus Tuxedo, great bone for such a small knife.

View attachment 1312366 View attachment 1312367 View attachment 1312368 View attachment 1312374 View attachment 1312375
Very nice Old Catt my friend . I believe that Cattaraugus made Jigged Bone as nice as anyone and much better than most . And then they added in the Indian Trails or Worm Tracks . And then they seemed to always have nice shields . Can you tell that I like Old Cats ????

Harry

waynorth, wonderful group of Bunny knives and I love the deep etch on those Olbertz models. The winged crown logo is also pretty neat.
rockman0, very attractive Nash folder, and certainly an uncommon name.
Augie, nice Cattaraugus Tuxedo.

Campbellclanman's nice Herder prompted me to post another model from that company. While several German cutlery companies existed with the "Herder" name, Friedr. Herder was the oldest, largest, and best known among them all. F. Herder had a history dating back to 1623, but sadly, went out of business in 1993. They sure produced some great knives during their long run though.
F. Herder used three primary logos which were a "spade", "candelabrum", and "crossed keys".
Here is a pre WWII salesman sample swell center sleeveboard model with pic-bone handles.

View attachment 1312842

And now we're tied! We have both been here for a long time. Knife content: Henckels pruner that I have posted before.
ElmeK4D.jpg

Back