1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Order of the Canoe

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by FelineGirl, Dec 16, 2016.

1. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Do you know of any production or custom one-blade canoes? They seem to be rare things.

DavidBevis likes this.
  2. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    No sir I don't. But, like you say, I'm betting someone will offer up one. Nice custom BTW. It does look like a canoe barlow.

DavidBevis likes this.
  3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Very cool canoe. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    That's a VERY distinctive canoe, IMHO, for a number of reasons!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    As you pointed out, a single-blade canoe is quite rare, and a barehead canoe with only one bolster is even more rare, in my experience! The back-lock and the gorgeous ram horn covers are additional features not seen often on canoes!

Thanks for showing us that champ of a canoe! :thumbsup::):cool:

That's a blue ribbon pair of canoes, Dwight; exquisite!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

@TLARbb in post 32 of this thread mentions his barehead 1-blade Mutz custom canoe, but the photo is lost to Fotobucket.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/order-of-the-canoe.1455315/page-2#post-16747567

But in post #87 @popedandy posts a pic of his 1-blade barehead Mutz:
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/order-of-the-canoe.1455315/page-5#post-16770965

If you searched this thread (or other canoe threads) for "single blade", you may find more (I haven't tried it yet). ;)

- GT

DavidBevis and dcpritch like this.
  5. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks GT. Good to hear from you my friend.

6. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks GT for the kind words, I'm just happy to be able to contribute a bit to the thread.
    - DAVID

7. nifebrite

nifebrite

Dec 1, 2015
    Hello David,
    all good names for a great knife.;):thumbsup:
    Maybe you can post it also in the "what makes a good traditional barlow" thread?
    Greetings,
    mat

dcpritch likes this.
  8. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Even though I've already posted it in 2 other threads, this one belongs here as well. My first Case canoe. I'm pretty sure the first one I seen with the canoe etch was one posted by Gary @5K Qs . I thought that was the neatest thing, a canoe on a canoe lol

9. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    That's a consummate canoe right there, David! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

(I think if you look VERY closely, you'll see that the guy in the canoe on the canoe knife carries a canoe knife on which is etched a canoe carrying a guy carrying a canoe knife on which is etched a canoe ... :D:D)

- GT

10. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

11. DavidBevis

DavidBevis

May 3, 2019
    I have that Old Timer, and it's my only Canoe. I'm super jealous of your collection, and I'm planning on adding a Case model to replace the Old Timer as my everyday knife as soon as I find the model that "speaks to me" as I try to do with traditional folders

12. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Commemorative for Orgill Hardware of Memphis, Tn. The scrim and engraving are real, not stamped. A little chip that came with the cased set is also of organic origin. Orgill engraved001.jpg Orgill engraved002.jpg Orgill engraved004.jpg Orgill engraved005.jpg

13. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the jealousy, I guess! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Does your Old Timer canoe have a shield (the standard Old Timer one, I suppose)? Strange thing about mine is that it arrived shieldless! :confused: I hope you can hear a Case canoe speaking to you real soon, David! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Oh, and welcome to The Porch! :)

Man, that is a fancy, distinctive canoe, for sure!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

14. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    My only canoe. I used to have one of those tiny ones too but I traded it.

IMG_4285.JPG

15. DavidBevis

DavidBevis

May 3, 2019
    Mine does have the shield, that is strange :eek:. And yes Sir I can hear it! It sounds like it's a white or jigged bone with the canoe engraved on the blade :D

16. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Yeah, I found that an amber jigged bone Case canoe speaks very persuasively! ;)
    canoe.amber.mark.main.jpg
    canoe.amber.pile.closed.jpg

- GT

17. DavidBevis

DavidBevis

May 3, 2019
    That is a beautiful knife! Strange that I just noticed this, but does the larger blade stick up more on that Case than the Old Timer when it's closed?

18. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    I don't have a comparison photo, but I just pulled out both knives to check. The Case canoe main blade is a bit longer than that of the Old Timer (by less than 1/8"), and because the shape of the Old Timer spine drops to its point a bit "faster" than does the spine of the Case knife, I think that you're correct. The "hump" on the Case spearpoint does stick up a little higher than the OT "hump" near the tip of the blade.
    I hope that's useful info.

- GT

DavidBevis and JohnDF like this.
  19. DavidBevis

DavidBevis

May 3, 2019
    Thank you! That's exactly what I was asking. I wasn't sure if it was my eyes or actually a difference

20. Peruna1998

Peruna1998

Sep 8, 2009
    That is awesome on so many levels. I live in Memphis and down the street from Billy Orgill, a local politician and business man. Billy is from the family whose business in commemorated in your knife.