Order of the Canoe

No sir I don't. But, like you say, I'm betting someone will offer up one. Nice custom BTW. It does look like a canoe barlow.

The canoe is such a great style of knife to carry in a pocket, I’m surprised they aren’t more common. While it isn’t always easy to find a canoe style knife, it’s even harder to find one by a custom maker.

Here are some photos of a Joe Kious canoe lockback with sheep horn scales and some fancy firework. It’s been in my pocket all week. View attachment 1120685 View attachment 1120684
View attachment 1120687
That's a VERY distinctive canoe, IMHO, for a number of reasons!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
As you pointed out, a single-blade canoe is quite rare, and a barehead canoe with only one bolster is even more rare, in my experience! The back-lock and the gorgeous ram horn covers are additional features not seen often on canoes!

Thanks for showing us that champ of a canoe! :thumbsup::):cool:

That's a blue ribbon pair of canoes, Dwight; exquisite!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Do you know of any production or custom one-blade canoes? They seem to be rare things.

@TLARbb in post 32 of this thread mentions his barehead 1-blade Mutz custom canoe, but the photo is lost to Fotobucket.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/order-of-the-canoe.1455315/page-2#post-16747567

But in post #87 @popedandy posts a pic of his 1-blade barehead Mutz:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/order-of-the-canoe.1455315/page-5#post-16770965

If you searched this thread (or other canoe threads) for "single blade", you may find more (I haven't tried it yet). ;)

- GT

@Eli Chaps, thanks, its a great knife to carry.
matfox matfox thanks also for the kind reply. I don't think I've seen another one blade canoe folder, though I'm guessing someone here could show us one. Now you have me thinking about a better name for it - ca-bar seems too close to something else; cabarlow? barloe? barnoe? nolow? Maybe I should stop trying to be creative and stick to my day job.

Cheers, DAVID
Hello David,
all good names for a great knife.;):thumbsup:
Maybe you can post it also in the "what makes a good traditional barlow" thread?
Greetings,
mat

1XjmzUI.jpg
5qCHSlJ.jpg
XUsWFg4.jpg

Even though I've already posted it in 2 other threads, this one belongs here as well. My first Case canoe. I'm pretty sure the first one I seen with the canoe etch was one posted by Gary 5K Qs 5K Qs . I thought that was the neatest thing, a canoe on a canoe lol

Even though I've already posted it in 2 other threads, this one belongs here as well. My first Case canoe. I'm pretty sure the first one I seen with the canoe etch was one posted by Gary 5K Qs 5K Qs . I thought that was the neatest thing, a canoe on a canoe lol
That's a consummate canoe right there, David! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

(I think if you look VERY closely, you'll see that the guy in the canoe on the canoe knife carries a canoe knife on which is etched a canoe carrying a guy carrying a canoe knife on which is etched a canoe ... :D:D)

- GT

I think I've posted individual pics of almost all of my canoes in this thread. I've always wanted to get a group shot of them, and finally did so a couple of days ago. I built a little multi-level platform/altar/shrine/drydock for the canoes I currently have and came up with this shot:
RJmuKTj.jpg

Here are a couple of "close-ups", two rows at a time:
Top two rows:
zwJKzBe.jpg

Bottom two rows:
lIdlcNj.jpg

- GT

I have that Old Timer, and it's my only Canoe. I'm super jealous of your collection, and I'm planning on adding a Case model to replace the Old Timer as my everyday knife as soon as I find the model that "speaks to me" as I try to do with traditional folders

I have that Old Timer, and it's my only Canoe. I'm super jealous of your collection, and I'm planning on adding a Case model to replace the Old Timer as my everyday knife as soon as I find the model that "speaks to me" as I try to do with traditional folders
Thanks for the jealousy, I guess! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Does your Old Timer canoe have a shield (the standard Old Timer one, I suppose)? Strange thing about mine is that it arrived shieldless! :confused: I hope you can hear a Case canoe speaking to you real soon, David! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Oh, and welcome to The Porch! :)

Commemorative for Orgill Hardware of Memphis, Tn. The scrim and engraving are real, not stamped. A little chip that came with the cased set is also of organic origin.View attachment 1123208 View attachment 1123209 View attachment 1123210 View attachment 1123211
Man, that is a fancy, distinctive canoe, for sure!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks for the jealousy, I guess! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Does your Old Timer canoe have a shield (the standard Old Timer one, I suppose)? Strange thing about mine is that it arrived shieldless! :confused: I hope you can hear a Case canoe speaking to you real soon, David! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Oh, and welcome to The Porch! :)

Man, that is a fancy, distinctive canoe, for sure!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Mine does have the shield, that is strange :eek:. And yes Sir I can hear it! It sounds like it's a white or jigged bone with the canoe engraved on the blade :D

That is a beautiful knife! Strange that I just noticed this, but does the larger blade stick up more on that Case than the Old Timer when it's closed?
I don't have a comparison photo, but I just pulled out both knives to check. The Case canoe main blade is a bit longer than that of the Old Timer (by less than 1/8"), and because the shape of the Old Timer spine drops to its point a bit "faster" than does the spine of the Case knife, I think that you're correct. The "hump" on the Case spearpoint does stick up a little higher than the OT "hump" near the tip of the blade.
I hope that's useful info.

- GT

I don't have a comparison photo, but I just pulled out both knives to check. The Case canoe main blade is a bit longer than that of the Old Timer (by less than 1/8"), and because the shape of the Old Timer spine drops to its point a bit "faster" than does the spine of the Case knife, I think that you're correct. The "hump" on the Case spearpoint does stick up a little higher than the OT "hump" near the tip of the blade.
I hope that's useful info.

- GT

Thank you! That's exactly what I was asking. I wasn't sure if it was my eyes or actually a difference

Commemorative for Orgill Hardware of Memphis, Tn. The scrim and engraving are real, not stamped. A little chip that came with the cased set is also of organic origin.View attachment 1123208 View attachment 1123209 View attachment 1123210 View attachment 1123211
That is awesome on so many levels. I live in Memphis and down the street from Billy Orgill, a local politician and business man. Billy is from the family whose business in commemorated in your knife.

Back