Order of the Canoe

Here's a Case canoe I bought on the Exchange (thanks, Lance).
8EyRsAg.jpg

Fdj4R0p.jpg

tZWC6eR.jpg

- GT
That's the one Gary. A Case canoe with a canoe.

Posted in "Let's see your Case knives...",
JB reminded me of this thread, to show two different Case Canoe frame constructions.
The darker bone and thinner frame, with the gap on the shim, is from '76, the lighter and thicker version (with no play on closed small blade) from '81.
Anyone knows something about the double liner construction model from '81?
I would also be interested in seeing a picture of the backside of the newer models with the splitted back spring.

am7fxdB.jpg

efoDKD7.jpg

This is how the double liner model looked like when I got it
REus1OR.jpg

My Case 62131CV is a 5 "x" and 2 "*". Not sure what year that equates to.
Anyway, it looks like a standard two blade width backsprings, with single liners. Over-all width at the bolsters is 5/16" or 8mm, according to my tape measure.

Very nice canoes you have there, matfox matfox :)

The "unbalanced" liners on one of your Case canoes is very interesting. I don't know why it's done, unless it somehow makes more space for the 2 blades to fit in on a single spring with less chance of rubbing. But I have a Schrade-Wostenholm I*XL stag canoe that has a similar thing:
ZissBSw.jpg

I think you can see that it has 3 liners on one side and 2 on the other.

- GT

These are my favorites. Queen Cozy Glen sfo's for Ken Daniels back in the mid-2000s. 1095 steel, pinned shields, and wonderful jigged bone. Top one is antique green worm groove bone, the middle is strawberry jigged bone, the bottom is crimson jigged bone.
QHfBHLT.jpg
nDPpwlb.jpg
AGhbeob.jpg

The "unbalanced" liners on one of your Case canoes is very interesting. I don't know why it's done, unless it somehow makes more space for the 2 blades to fit in on a single spring with less chance of rubbing. But I have a Schrade-Wostenholm I*XL stag canoe that has a similar thing:
ZissBSw.jpg

I think you can see that it has 3 liners on one side and 2 on the other.

- GT
Thanks for showing this, GT!
Wow, five liners on one knife...
I think your assumption about using double or triple liners makes sense.

The canoe is such a great style of knife to carry in a pocket, I’m surprised they aren’t more common. While it isn’t always easy to find a canoe style knife, it’s even harder to find one by a custom maker.

Here are some photos of a Joe Kious canoe lockback with sheep horn scales and some fancy firework. It’s been in my pocket all week. 63E3B5B7-AC30-4BA5-83CA-3BE99B19455A.jpeg 703DEA1D-F5A7-4B94-AEEA-1AB75718EBCF.jpeg
DB20770D-40C2-494C-A9D3-16D1796C29AE.jpeg

A very nice knife dcpritch dcpritch .
I didn't know of one blade canoes. With the long bolster it looks a bit like a canoe barlow,
which is very cool!

Eli Chaps Eli Chaps , thanks, its a great knife to carry.
matfox matfox thanks also for the kind reply. I don't think I've seen another one blade canoe folder, though I'm guessing someone here could show us one. Now you have me thinking about a better name for it - ca-bar seems too close to something else; cabarlow? barloe? barnoe? nolow? Maybe I should stop trying to be creative and stick to my day job.

Cheers, DAVID

... I'm guessing someone here could show us one ...

Thanks Dwight, that's what I was hoping for!

Back