Order of the Canoe

image.jpg3_zpspduccn9m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the only canoe pattern I have left. Felinegirl email me please. Gasman12345@outlook.com

This is pretty cool!

I've got several canoes, including the Single blade, bare headed canoe built by Jeff Mutz.
Some pics:
knives110304-002.jpg

Ed J

This is the single blade canoe that Ed has been depriving me of for a few years now! That thing is super looking. Maybe we can get a custom maker to put a few out for sale....

Some notes:
1) I'm surprised we haven't seen more GEC canoes in the thread.
2) The RR canoe nail nicks are the best looking IMO. I guess those are stamped.
3) The Case scroll work is eye catching.
4) I had no idea that Old Timer made a canoe.
5) Great thread!!

Wow. Just wow! Check this out! Our very own Gasman1 has gifted me this superb example of a canoe! It's a Queen Winterbottom. [emoji4][emoji106] Gasman1 thinks that perhaps it dates from the 1970s. It is quite different from my other canoes, and I love it! A thousand thanks to Gasman1 for his wonderful generosity. This Queen canoe arrived today, just in time for Christmas. No matter what I receive tomorrow gift-wise, this canoe will be my favorite Christmas gift. It is made even sweeter because Gasman1 sent me this canoe without even knowing me. This is what is so wonderful and humbling about The Porch. Kindness and generosity abound here. Thank you, Gasman1, and thank you to The Porch! I love this place and everyone here! Merry Christmas to everyone! [emoji319][emoji1449]

Alex

Im happy you like it Alex. Hopefully you will get many years of use out of it. Merry Christmas! :smile:

Im happy you like it Alex. Hopefully you will get many years of use out of it. Merry Christmas! :smile:

I received a Spyderco Sharpmaker for Christmas this morning. I'd been wanting one for a long while. I immediately put a sharp edge on the Queen canoe and slipped it into my pocket for the day. It saw a lot of action with food today. I visited my Mom in an assisted living facility and brought a great ham dinner with me and all the fixins for her to enjoy. I cut up my Mom's ham with the canoe in addition to cheese and other tasty items. The canoe was also quite handy in helping Mom open gifts and in getting through bubble wrap and clamshell packaging. The canoe proved itself as a very worthy knife today. Even my Mom commented on it and wanted to know about it. I absolutely love this canoe. ❤️ Thank you again, Gasman1, and many Christmas blessings to you and your family.

Alex

I received a Spyderco Sharpmaker for Christmas this morning. I'd been wanting one for a long while. I immediately put a sharp edge on the Queen canoe and slipped it into my pocket for the day. It saw a lot of action with food today. I visited my Mom in an assisted living facility and brought a great ham dinner with me and all the fixins for her to enjoy. I cut up my Mom's ham with the canoe in addition to cheese and other tasty items. The canoe was also quite handy in helping Mom open gifts and in getting through bubble wrap and clamshell packaging. The canoe proved itself as a very worthy knife today. Even my Mom commented on it and wanted to know about it. I absolutely love this canoe. ❤️ Thank you again, Gasman1, and many Christmas blessings to you and your family.

Alex

Made me smile. Thank you.

I like the idea of that Barehead Mutz Canoe, interesting departure.

Glad to hear you like the Queen Canoe Feline Girl and Gasman's altruism is not that uncommon in this place,:cool: pity there isn't more of it in the world in general instead of the pathetic me culture that bombards us daily.

Thanks, Will

Here's a Q for the Canoeists from a fan of the pattern —

Apart from the Buck 389, have there been Canoe models with wood scales? And in particular, wood scales with brass bolsters?

This is the single blade canoe that Ed has been depriving me of for a few years now! That thing is super looking. Maybe we can get a custom maker to put a few out for sale....

Randy, I fell in love with it when he posted photos of it on AllAboutPocketknives and I contacted him via PM and it was still available at the time, so I sent him money and my address and it is a prized possession. I carry and use it occasionally when I don't think will be knife abuse involved. I have other knives for that.

Ed J

Last edited:
Today I'm actually carrying and using the "mother of toilet seat" (oyster cell) Bulldog canoe pictured earlier. It's been used a fair amount since that photo was taken. It stays on my shop bench for tasks like cutting tape and cardboard for packing up the stuff that I sell and ship via USPS. I like to carry it because it is so thin, smooth, and pocket friendly and the thin blade is a wonderful slicer. It's a very good pattern; it is no wonder so many companies have produced them.

I remembered that I have a Colt Canoe pattern knife that I was very impressed with when I purchased it. I believe it was in the neighborhood of $20-25 delivered. Nicely finished and quality construction easily worth what I paid.

100_4290_zpstoag44za.jpg

I have 3 other patterns in this series and they are all quite nice knives. The gift boxes are very nice as well. You might want to look into the series the number on the Canoe is CT209.

Ed J

Last edited:
Some notes:
1) I'm surprised we haven't seen more GEC canoes in the thread.
3) The Case scroll work is eye catching.
4) I had no idea that Old Timer made a canoe.
5) Great thread!!
1) The GEC canoes ARE kind of "different" relative to most canoes.
3) I'm usually not a big fan of fancy bolsters, but it IS a nice change of pace since there's not much variety in the basic canoe pattern.
(Do my comments on 1) and 3) display my inconsistency?)
4) My particular Old Timer canoe has no shield, perhaps to maintain the "low profile" OT canoes prefer? :rolleyes:
5) Totally agree, Randy! :thumbup:

Here are my three. A Mutz, a Canal Street Canittler, and a Case. All three are great knives.
Another 1-blade, barehead Mutz and another CS cannitler; very cool, popedandy! :cool:

I took a new picture of my northwoods canoe today!
That's a ravishing canoe, Ernie!!! :thumbup:

I remembered that I have a Colt Canoe pattern knife that I was very impressed with when I purchased it. I believe it was in the neighborhood of $20-25 delivered. Nicely finished and quality construction easily worth what I paid.

100_4290_zpstoag44za.jpg

I have 3 other patterns in this series and they are all quite nice knives. The gift boxes are very nice as well. You might want to look into the series the number on the Canoe is CT209.

Ed J
Handsome Colt canoe, Ed! :cool: Are the covers "stag bone"?

Glad to hear you like the Queen Canoe Feline Girl and Gasman's altruism is not that uncommon in this place,:cool: pity there isn't more of it in the world in general instead of the pathetic me culture that bombards us daily.

Thanks, Will

Speaking of Gasman's altruism, he generously gave me a superb Colt buckshot bone canoe earlier this year! Thanks again, Dave! :thumbup:
1DPE2uO.jpg

Here's my only gunboat canoe (so far), a Rodgers Wostenholm (thanks, Tsar Bomba):
sozCGlf.jpg

Here are a couple of "seasonal" Rough Rider canoes, one for Christmas and one for St. Patrick's Day (??):
iVjm9vY.jpg

XsXUDB5.jpg

Don't want to forget the ubiquitous wood Buck 389, mentioned above by AreBeeBee. (In answer to his question, I have a Remington canoe with wood burl covers, and I want a Böker beer barrel canoe, but I can't think of a canoe with wood covers and brass bolsters.)
ejUv6Nm.jpg

- GT

Handsome Colt canoe, Ed! :cool: Are the covers "stag bone"?

- GT

I honestly don't know for sure. I would expect them to be stag carved bone instead of real stag. Just because I think it would have to be more expensive if it were actually stag. It is a very good job if it's not real, but I suspect it isn't.

Ed J

...Don't want to forget the ubiquitous wood Buck 389, mentioned above by AreBeeBee. (In answer to his question, I have a Remington canoe with wood burl covers, and I want a Böker beer barrel canoe, but I can't think of a canoe with wood covers and brass bolsters.)
ejUv6Nm.jpg

- GT

Thanks, 5K! I know they're rare because they never turn up in show-and-tell threads like this. I'll keep my eyes open for the Remington and Böker models. [Edit: OK, not hard to find — ]

The nickel-silver (?) bolsters on the Buck 389 tend to tarnish to a half-brassy color, but there's real beauty in combining warm, dark wood with real brass, such as you see on Buck 110s, to pick just one example.

Thanks again —

Last edited:
Like canoes , just not a pattern I've picked up yet. Definitely on the list, a Queen preferably, as well as a canittler. I still bemoan not picking up a canittler before CSC went under, although I see a Queen model pop up occasionally on the popular auction site. Does anyone have a Gunboat Canoe? Case ran a series of them, x-time ago, along with some other large patterns, like the large cigar whittler, clasp knife, etc. Kind of a large stockman on an enlarged canoe pattern. Jake-that Buck and Russell model is pretty neat...unfortunately so is the price point :eek:! The combo of steels is kinda neat on those models. AG Russell's perfect pen knife has always reminded me of a canoe, although I don't know if that is particularly intentional. I do have one of those, and must say I really like it. Very thin and a VG-10 blade+ it locks open.
Thanks, Neal

I've got a 4 blade Fight'n Rooster that I use. I dropped it on the floor and knocked chips out of both covers. I was highly aggravated about that, but it is still usable and I do use it. The smaller pen and coping blade are very thin material and I'm careful not to use those much because it would be easy to break one. I'll try to post up a photo of it if I have one. Otherwise it will be tomorrow when I can get out to make a couple pics. I don't know what those covers were made from; the chipping did not act like I would have expected bone or even phenolic to act. Anyway, I'll get a photo of it up. While I have it out I will probably go ahead and try to patch the small chip remaining; I've already filled the larger ones on the other cover. (JB Weld matches the color pretty well but it will not polish like the original material. :(

Ed J

I'll post 3 more of my canoes here.
A Rough Rider with sawcut bone covers (and fancy-schmancy bolsters):
xhfpuWq.jpg

A Robert Klaas mini canoe in autumn bone:
F5lMf3T.jpg

A Rough Rider "Diamond Jim" canoe with covers that are supposed to be smooth black bone (but the dye job is less than impressive):
tqIatF7.jpg

- GT

Back