Order of the Canoe

I was with my brother over the holidays and his pocket knife was in pretty bad shape. I decided to buy one of these for each of us.
Canoe-DU_zpsecpsgrr1.jpg

That's a nice-looking Ducks Unlimited Case Canoe, Vinifera! Your brother is very lucky.

002.jpgI just recently added canoes to my knife collecting addiction. So far, Colt, Rough Rider and 1 Case. The Case I traded for. I tend to stick with the lower end brands do to being an old poot on Social Security. LOL Not complaining. I am blessed. I have indeed been surprised at the quality of the cheaper brand knives. I am sure the collection will expand over time. Mike in Missouri001.jpg

I love seeing all of the canoes posted here! There is so much variety and beauty. I admire nearly all traditional knives, but to my eye, the canoe is the prettiest. Any canoe is sure to catch my interest fast. Thank you to everyone for posting pics. Keep them coming!

Alex

Canoes are just wonderful to carry, with their medium size and round tang-covering bolsters. My reason for not carrying one more often is the blade selection: too similar and nothing with a slender point. A canoe with a clip main and coping secondary would be great. This one covers all the bases for me, with four blades, nice green bone, double pinned shield and rounded pins.

4BlCanoeOpen_zpsdc9b7f76.jpg~original

Canoes are just wonderful to carry, with their medium size and round tang-covering bolsters. My reason for not carrying one more often is the blade selection: too similar and nothing with a slender point. A canoe with a clip main and coping secondary would be great. This one covers all the bases for me, with four blades, nice green bone, double pinned shield and rounded pins.

Nice one. I have the same one, but no blade etching, and with red bone covers.
It sees a bit of pocket time.

A fantastic looking knife, Jeff! Love that shield and blade selection. :thumbup:

Just added another Canoe to the collection today. Just a cheap Buck jigged bone, 3 5/8" two blade. Pretty nice knife for $17.00. Had to buy the wifey a couple of new African Violets also to kind of justify my purchase. After 48 years, I am not scared of her but I sure do respect her a lot.
004.jpg

Here is my only canoe-ish pattern.

I think with the twin spears and third blade being a coping, I've heard it called a gunboat.

I have since fully convexed the blades, and thinned the primary grinding significantly on this one.

Since this thread contains pics of all of my canoes, I should post my latest trio of canoes here as well. These were delivered around Easter, but I've been spreading out my showing off the knives in that delivery over the past couple of months. The three canoes are all Rough Riders: a mini canoe with tortoise shell covers, a "Masonic" canoe with blue smooth bone covers, and a white smooth bone model.
ZU6Y5io.jpg

oymzgaU.jpg

xPaKt91.jpg

1v5IHdO.jpg

- GT

Since this thread contains pics of all of my canoes, I should post my latest trio of canoes here as well. These were delivered around Easter, but I've been spreading out my showing off the knives in that delivery over the past couple of months. The three canoes are all Rough Riders: a mini canoe with tortoise shell covers, a "Masonic" canoe with blue smooth bone covers, and a white smooth bone model.
ZU6Y5io.jpg

oymzgaU.jpg

xPaKt91.jpg

1v5IHdO.jpg

- GT
All good looking canoes, my friend. :)

Thanks, Steve! (And, preview of coming attractions, I took delivery on what I consider "part 2" of my April Fool's order last week, and spent some time taking pics today. When I get them ready to post, there will be 4 more RR canoes added to this thread! :)).

- GT

Very nice, Gunner! [emoji106] I, too, have looked at those Stoneworx models and liked the looks of them. Congrats on getting one! I have five RR canoes, and all are good knives. I even keep one in my car at all times.

Alex
Hi Alex. I really apologize for starting the other Canoe thread. Heck, I just plain old forgot about this one and I have posted on this one several times. Rather embarrassing. Old age isn't quite what it is cranked up to be. I wasn't by any means trying to hi-jack your thread. I don't drink either. Maybe I should start. LOL. Mike in Missouri

5K Qs 5K Qs
The tortoise shell looks as good as GEC's Gary.
Thanks, Alan. :) I think the Rough Rider tortoise shell isn't quite as bright and vivid as what I see in photos of GEC's, but the more muted RR color may be a closer match to old school genuine tortoise shell handles.

Thanks, Steve! (And, preview of coming attractions, I took delivery on what I consider "part 2" of my April Fool's order last week, and spent some time taking pics today. When I get them ready to post, there will be 4 more RR canoes added to this thread! :)).
- GT
I wrote this more than two months ago, and promptly forgot all about my plans! :thumbsdown::( But, better late than never! Here are my most recent canoes, all from Rough Rider.
Painted desert covers:
c5cKPXb.jpg

bjjuUSm.jpg

Armorhide covers:
NQUaPf2.jpg

uzqO6Mf.jpg

Faux tortoise shell covers:
2G8TxFA.jpg

AnaV8og.jpg

Stag bone covers:
x3IFzxY.jpg

v4BgGeE.jpg