paramilitary 2 sadness REDUX

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries Borage. I hit things that I should not all the time with far more expensive knives. The thing is, you rarely know you have done something you shouldn't do until you have already done it. I went through a couple industrial staples with a TGLB. Sharpened it up and was good to go. Learning is part of the fun!

My guess is since you were "so disgusted" with the knife you were looking for a fault and probably not really paying attention to what you were cutting. Or long shot it may have been a return that was used but not well checked and resold to you.

Anyway, glad you are happy with the Sage and satisfied with everything else.

Thanx much Borage. well done.

sal

So cool that the big guy is willing to jump in the dirt over little issues. Very few companies have owners willing to do that. Maybe one of the reasons I just keep buying Spyderco's like a drug. :D

But since this thread popped back up again, maybe Sal could weigh in on something that hit me in the process. Many fakes I've seen have very poor (dull) jimping, but some have reported amazing counterfeits out there. One thing that stood out to me with my camo/silver PM2 was the jimping precision, and difference between spine and choil. My spine has symmetrical jimping, and the choil is angled. I know mine came from a legit source, so I assumed (yeah, I know) that it was a design feature specific to the PM2 in general. I've seen other camo/silver models identical. But now earlier in this thread, Nfd538 showed a pic of six different configs together. I could not make out too much detail, but it appears that the camo version is exactly like mine. But the black/silver version next to it had angled jimping on the spine, and symmetrical on choil.

Am I seeing this correctly? And if so, is that by design, just how the machining works, subject to the mill operator, or other? While that is not the only detail that may define a legit vs counterfeit, it is one I've had both friends and other forum members look at. And now wondering if I was too myopic in detail, if many legit variations exist.

Inquiring minds want to know. By the way (OT), have a new GB2 in pocket today, and loving it. Haven't cut any box staples with it, but it did open my mail with quietest swoosh of any factory edge that I've ever had. Sharp edges put a smile on my face.

So cool that the big guy is willing to jump in the dirt over little issues. Very few companies have owners willing to do that. Maybe one of the reasons I just keep buying Spyderco's like a drug. :D

+1 Me too! :thumbup:

I wish more companies were owned and run by people with such character as Mr. Sal Glesser.

I have owned/used/collected Spyderco's since the early 1990's and will continue to do so in the future.

And to the OP. Way to step up. You too are a fine man. To admit your mistakes and go on. We need more in our country with this attitude.

We all make mistakes and get angry. Say things we regret. But it seems these days it is more and more rare for someone to admit this.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Your fellow knife nut. ..

yea, i am to afraid to sharpen my 100 dollar knives since i am not the best at sharpening. thats why i carry around a second beater knife (most of the time either my buck or a kershaw). so when it comes to my expensive knives i send them to my sharpening guy to fix em up

Just finished reading this entire thread and I have exactly the same question as bflying, i.e., how reliable is the angle of the thumb ramp jimping in deciding the authenticity of spyderco folders?

I have multiple spyderco folders and all were bought from legit sellers (at least I believe so). However, the angle of the jimpings seem to be somewhat different. The pm2 and the millie right in from of me right now, for example, have different jimping angles. Specifically, the pm2 angle is more backwards whereas the millie's is symmetric. BTW, both are digicam/dlc.

Could someone please chime in?

I don't think I would use jimping as a sole distinction in determining fakes. We're always changing and improving our models. And occasionally, even we make mistakes.

sal

Thank you, Sal, for your timely response. BTW, the jimping on both th pm2 and the millie is comfortable and truly functional.

So what about all the people here who said that it's undoubtedly a fake based on the photos? I hope they see the update so they can reassess their analysis!

well i think this thread has been a little helpful to everyone one way or another. i do admit that i didnt take the best photos but now those people who said fake can learn just like the rest of us

I don't think I would use jimping as a sole distinction in determining fakes. We're always changing and improving our models. And occasionally, even we make mistakes.

sal

Thank you Sal. I'll just enjoy the high quality and ergos on mine, and fixate a little less on pics of others. Thanks for a great product.

Borage123,

You never mentioned the screws being damaged. Sal said the screws were damaged. What did you do to them?

Sal sent you a brandy new Para 2???
And people wonder why we have >30 Spydies??? Can you say INTEGRITY???
Very glad to see how you stepped up Borage!! Stand up dude!
Now go cut lotsa stuff bro!
Joe

i had a custom backspacer for it. they weren't damaged but they had shown signs of wear.

Wow - So not only did you destroy the blade (without knowing it I guess), but you took it apart.

You are very lucky that Sal took care of this out of his own pocket. Just goes to show why I will continue to support Spyderco, but I would never test their warranty like you did.

Thanks Sal!!!

So what about all the people here who said that it's undoubtedly a fake based on the photos? I hope they see the update so they can reassess their analysis!

The problem is, the fakes don't just stay the same, they get better at being fakes. Further, the real knives don't stay the same either. What was a fake or real knife 2 years ago my look very different today. Only spyderco can tell the really good fakes and the really bad real ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back