Paramilitary 3

Looking forward to this one! Never carried my PM2 because it was too big to EDC, even though the ergonomics of the handle were fantastic. I have small hands, so the Minuteman should be perfect.

Regarding pricing, it seems like smaller versions tend to be only slightly cheaper, since tooling probably costs a lot more than the 15% difference in material volume. The price difference between Endura and Delica MSRP for example is only $5. So I would expect the Minuteman to have an MSRP of $175-$190, and a street price of $105-$114 (based on MAP enforcement). Perfectly acceptable IMO.

Im perfectly fine with that price point.

I don't really get this. The Paramilitary 2 is already too small for my hand to fit comfortably for use in the main grip area. I guess this might be a forced choil grip knife, but I can't see the Paramilitary shaped handle being comfortable in that grip.

...Just my thoughts.

Perhaps those who have seen/experienced this blade in the wild can confirm or deny...but I think the Para 3/Minuteman is going to wind up being a little more than just a shrunken Para 2. I feel this way for three main reasons...

1) Simple human anatomy (along with other elements...i.e. margins for the giants and small-handed among us) dictates how much real estate is reserved for choils, guards, grooves and the like. More often than not, you simply can't exactly shrink a design and still end up with something feels good in the hand to most in numerous hand positions/grips.

2)Characteristics and limitations of materials play into the equation as well. Folders are fairly complicated tools and individual pieces are designed/sized to accommodate strength requirements and tolerances... some parts simply cannot be shrunk (or enlarged) any further and still operate/perform as intended.

3)Being it's Spyderco we're talking about...a group of designers and company renowned for listening to/granting customers requests and improving designs through the years...it might be considered out of character and an opportunity wasted to not tweak/improve/further perfect the already extraordinary DNA the Para 2 is contributing.

So, while I have no doubt the Para 3/Minuteman is going to be an excellent knife, I think a lot of details are still up in the air to everyone not involved in the design or who have yet to experience the blade. For example...blade stock, Spydie Hole diameter, pivot and stop pin type and size, hardware specs, compression lock details, blade to handle ratio and choil size. Its going to be interesting to see the end product. My gut feeling at this point is that this knife is going be akin to the CRK Inkosi. The Inkosi is *NOT* just a small Sebenza 25 as many people seem to think/relate...it has a few unique nuances that set it apart. At this point, it's all speculation.

Just let it come...and sooner rather than later!!! I don't have a lot of desire for a smaller Para 2 personally, as its size is probably the last thing I'd change. But, as is often the case in this hobby, I might not be able to help myself. :D

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but, I will sell off some of my knives to make sure I get this one.

Im rite there with you, I have a Caly 3 CF and two Hap40 sprints, Endura and Delica all 3 BNIB waiting in the wings for when this and the Shaman drop.

What would be interesting is if Spyderco used the 3D machined G10 like on the Pattada for the Minuteman's scales.

So beautiful.

Without pouring over the last 5 pages or posts ... did anyone pick up an ETA for these reaching US customers? Second question - I love my black G10, black DLC blade PM2. Any word if this version of the Minuteman will be available near the front end or the release?

Without pouring over the last 5 pages or posts ... did anyone pick up an ETA for these reaching US customers? Second question - I love my black G10, black DLC blade PM2. Any word if this version of the Minuteman will be available near the front end or the release?

I haven't seen any video ever discussing nor showing the Minuteman. I don't believe it has even been announced as an actual production knife.

I haven't seen any video ever discussing nor showing the Minuteman. I don't believe it has even been announced as an actual production knife.

Actually, now that you say this, it is a bit disturbing that Spyderco would have a prototype in Amsterdam, and Blade and then I think I read the prototype was at Shot as well, but then there has been nothing else, not even a teaser pic. Which, has me thinking this might be a 2017.....if at all.

Thanks Speed, for crushing my dreams with your facts. [emoji6]

Last edited:
Actually, now that you say this, it is a bit disturbing that Spyderco would have a prototype in Amsterdam, and Blade and then I think I read the prototype was at Shot as well, but then there has been nothing else, not even a teaser pic. Which, has me thinking this might be a 2017.....if at all.

Thanks Speed, for crushing my dreams with your facts. [emoji6]

Lol, I wouldn't call it "disturbing", at all.

Spyderco has/had models in r&d for years and years with only rumors surrounding them! And some just simply in production queue for what feels like even longer!

They currently have so many new models already on their plate to deal with, they have to wait for just the right time to announce something like this Minuteman.
People tend to get all bent out of shape when they officially announce a model, but it doesn't ship for a certain amount of time... I mean they haven't even dropped the M4 PM2's... and S110V is still hard to get regardless if it is a regular production model.

We gotta be strong and patient! They'll deliver! :D

It's in-the-works. Will be made in Golden. Will be called the "Minuteman", a suggestion from a forumite.

sal

Td, I don't think you need to worry about "if at all."

I would say when the Mr. Glesser says this on our forum, that is the announcement.

I would be shocked if they released the sage 5 and the minuteman in the same year. It makes no sense from a business perspective. A very tiny percentage of their customer base can buy both in the same year. Releasing them a year apart makes a ton of sense. If not a few years apart.

Td, I don't think you need to worry about "if at all."

I would say when the Mr. Glesser says this on our forum, that is the announcement.

While Sal is the big man with the final say, and this is indeed a public forum, I still don't see it in my eyes as an official announcement other than they are moving forward with it and they are just letting us lucky afis know about it. :)

Same mentions have been said for a Blue Jester, just for example... but has anyone else reading here heard of that? Maybe not, unless you keep up with reading forums. And it was mentioned probably a year ago, maybe longer.

When I see it hit the Spyderbyte, or catalog, then I see it more-so as an official public announcement. (Although the Spyderbyte is usually a bit slow sometimes)

Not doubting the Minuteman coming to fruition, at all, just saying, they've chosen not to debut it just yet, or even allow pictures, for whatever reason.

At least they could throw out a pic next to a PM2. I guess I could check out my frequent flyer mileage, take a few days off, fly to Denver, go out to Golden, walk in to the SFO and ask to see it in person. Haha

Or, I could get a PM2 and refurb it. Lol

I'm just getting excited way too early. That tends to happen with me. I get excited about something and the longer I have to wait for it, the excitement starts to turn to frustration which then leads me to apathy which leads me to.....other companies. I guess I'm a knife junkie.

Since I'm letting out some frustration, I might as well get it out here; I love Spydercos....immensely. But I sometimes wish they were a little smaller. Looking at the 2016 catalog, I have to say....Spyderco has so much going on with so many patterns from so many places in the world that it's no wonder the Minuteman is not as important to them, as it is to me.

I'm just getting excited way too early. That tends to happen with me. I get excited about something and the longer I have to wait for it, the excitement starts to turn to frustration which then leads me to apathy which leads me to.....other companies. I guess I'm a knife junkie.
You aren't the only one.

Still have BLADE and other upcoming meets for more possibility of debuts, along with the mid-year catalog! :D

I love Spydercos....immensely. But I sometimes wish they were a little smaller.

Me too! I've only been this excited about knives for a few weeks but I already have several Spydercos, all smaller ones. I'd love to have a PM2 but it's just too big for me to EDC. I'm really looking forward to the Minuteman.

I just saw over on the spyderco forum that sal said it was no longer going to be called the minuteman

Back