Passaround For B&T / Paring Knife

I love the shape of the knife. I found out why after comparing my favorite pocket knife (sodbuster jr) to the paring knife.

We are on a short vacation, so not many jobs for the knife, but my daughter needed a tag cut out of her jeans. The point on the blade made the task easier than the sodbuster jr.

https://imgur.com/gallery/B4dBhM4

put anything next to a beautifully used sodbuster like that that I'll want it (both of 'em, I mean ;))

The paring knife got put to work today. I made a small, very terrible but functional sheath to carry it around with. Started off with a kitchen demolition. Only task for the small knife was cutting up some scrap garden hose to drain a water heater. Then we had oysters for dinner. Prepared fire wood with the knife and I made s'mores sticks for the kids. Finished with cutting up a lot of shipping boxes that have been piling up.

Handle and blade shape are perfect. And do not change anything with the heat treat! It is still as sharp as it started this morning.

Ignore the crappy kindling, I was in a hurry.

http://imgur.com/gallery/om1Z1qM

Happy new year!

My Paring Knife ready to help out with dinner last night...

ToknSRk.jpg

I hadn't gotten as much work out of this knife as I wanted to so John let me hold onto it for another week. I worked it pretty hard tonight while wiring a thermostat up to a heater in well pump house. When I got the knife, I put the type edge on it that I like - thin. I don't do super tough work to a knife and I like it to slice well. The downside to the thin edge is that it rolls pretty easily.

The hardest thing I did tonight, and slightly abusive at that, was to use the edge to cut/pry a poorly prepared knock out on the plastic housing of the thermostat. I was sure this was going to cause a problem with the knife, but I figured I would give it a shot - I'm supposed to be testing the knife I think. The stainless edge didn't roll at all! I said it before, but I'll repeat it - the heat treat is amazing on this knife.

I do not cook - at all! My wife is the chef but doesn't use a paring knife much in the kitchen I have learned since getting this knife (I really wanted some kitchen shots). But, if this thin little knife can cut cardboard, pry thick plastic, whittle sticks all day and still be super sharp - and be comfortable in the hand the entire time - you can be sure it will do any work you ever need it to do in the kitchen without breaking a sweat.

Need a paring knife? This is the one for you. Need a stainless knife with awesome edge retention? Contact John.

Back