Pistol/dagger project

I'm working on the storage/display box now. Here are some shots of the interior.

I use the Home Depot variety pressed sawdust interior only wood trim. I like it because it sands and shapes very well.

100_1842_edited.jpg

I just use a jig saw and cut out the tracings of the gun, powder flask and bullet box. Save the pieces because they will go back in the same holes after they get cut down to the proper heights.
100_1843_edited.jpg

I use wood glue to put them back in after they are sanded smooth and adjusted so the gun and accessories stand proud about the same height
100_1846_edited.jpg

Nes I use wood putty to fill all visible seams and saw marks. I want the interior smooth.
100_1849_edited.jpg

I coat everything with the wood filler/putty and let it dry well. It will need to be sanded and all the sharp edges will need to be rounded slightly so the flocking will not chip off.
100_1851_edited.jpg

Here is the walnut case I had made for it. I also had a name plate engraved with the title "Tortuga"

Thanks Bruce, this is something I've always wondered about. It's going to be very interesting to see the flocking pics. Thanks a million for this fantastic thread!

I decided to add a screw driver and a nipple wrench to the set. The wrench is a modified 1/4 open end and the screw driver handle is made on the lathe with an allen wrench ground into a flat tip.

100_1853_edited.jpg

100_1855_edited.jpg

100_1859_edited.jpg

100_1860_edited.jpg

Here I have the interior block sanded, primed and sealed with clear laquer and all ready for the flocking. Everything finally fits.
100_1865_edited.jpg

The flocking I use comes from Lee Valley. This stuff has been around for many years but is kinda hard to find nowadays. It comes in several basic colors. I used to have maroon but they discontinued that color. I like the green.
100_1866_edited.jpg

The adhesive is exactly like the old lead based paint and needs thinner to clean the brush. Simply paint it on evenly and pump the flocking particles on the wet paint. I put it on very heavy and blow out the excess after it dries in about 24 hours.
100_1868_edited.jpg

100_1869_edited.jpg

100_1870_edited.jpg

This project is growing to a close. Just in time to take it to Missoula to the MKA Show this weekend.

You really made like the birds and flocked, Bruce! I am excited to see the finished product.

Thank you for showing your whole process down to the presentation box, I'd always wondered how you did those. (Any pictures of how to make a book into a display case [or do you make the book as well?] like on your site? Those are really cool!):thumbup:

Comedians eh? :D

The books were made by my late friend and neighbor Ivan Groulik. He died so I'm not sure I will offer anymore book safes.
Basically the interiors are all like this and the pages have a square window cut out so the block will just fit inside. My books were leather bound on simple copier paper but any thick enough already made book will work. The toughest part is cutting out each page so there is a perfect square hole. I ended up clamping the pages together and using a draw knife to finish them.

wow...making that bx is so cool...suede in a bottle i guess....i would have nevr imagind there was a product like that....can't wait to see it all done....ryan

Its been 24 hours now so I can set it together and see how it looks. I like it.
There is some finish work to do on the gun but I still have two days. No sense waiting until the last minute.

What do you think?

100_1871_edited.jpg

100_1872_edited.jpg

100_1875_edited.jpg

man....too cheap to do some engraving on th wrench:D:D.....seriously very impressive package.....i can imagine it on a giant mahogany desk in some palac in dubai.....well done for sure.....i love the box....i know u said the maroon color was discontinued for the box liner....do they sell other colors besides green.....does it feel like felt?....ryan

That is just so absolutely beautiful! Great work Bruce. Thanks very very much for showing all the progress on this masterpiece.

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing the creative process. Can you reveal the asking price - or, has it been sold and is a private matter??

With regards and respect -
Jacque

Hey the wrench matches the blade :D well maybe next time. I also want to nickel plate the powder flask and may still do that.
There is no end to what can be done with embellishments and tools included but time is the enemy. I figure if my collector wants more he will allow me to keep working on it. Most collectors enjoy some involvement to call it theirs.

Thanks guys for all the fun in this thread. Your compliments and so many repeat "views" really inspire and encourage me to do better.

My next major project is a single shot pistol and matching bowie. I cant wait.

i had to say something about the wrench!....bruce....all u have to do is look at the fact that there is almost 20,000 views of his thread.....that really shows you how much people enjoy these threads and how amazing your work is....truly one of a kind piece....ryan

is coop gonna photograph it?

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing the creative process. Can you reveal the asking price - or, has it been sold and is a private matter??

With regards and respect -
Jacque

I probally shouldnt disclose the price here with respect to my collector but email me if you like.

Back