Pistol/dagger project

Thank-you for sharing. This is one of the most interesting projects I've seen in some time. I really want to see it finished, so get back to work. LOL

100_0908_edited.jpg

100_0911_edited.jpg

100_0917_edited.jpg

100_0918.jpg

100_0920.jpg

100_0928_edited.jpg

Here it is after rough shaping the rear bolsters. The front bolsters are profiled to match the frame but everything needs to be contoured still.
Its starting to take shape.

NO FAIR !! Bruce knows how to use his mill....Well thats just not fair..:grumpy: (I'm sitting in the corner pouting now)..

Bruce, thanks so much for taking the extra time to share with all of us this amazing creation. I must admit I'm checking the forums every hour on the hour to see any updates. Well close to every hour. Anyways, you've got a grizzly mill and what kind of lathe do you have? You da man Mr. Handsome.:D

NO FAIR !! Bruce knows how to use his mill....Well thats just not fair..:grumpy: (I'm sitting in the corner pouting now)..

I know a couple tricks after 4 quarters of machine shop night class but I cant keep up with the big boys.

Bruce, thanks so much for taking the extra time to share with all of us this amazing creation. I must admit I'm checking the forums every hour on the hour to see any updates. Well close to every hour. Anyways, you've got a grizzly mill and what kind of lathe do you have? You da man Mr. Handsome.:D

Hi Luke, Thanks man,
I have a small lathe but for small parts it works good and has many of the big lathe features. Its the 7" by 12" they sell for $450 or so in Enco. I have friends with lathes if I need something bigger.
Where you been?

looks great bruce!.....i can't wait to see it finished......did you ever make a gun fr yourself to keep and shoot......i'd be interested to see a pic or hear about it if you did......don't wanna derail your thread though......ryan

looks great bruce!.....i can't wait to see it finished......did you ever make a gun fr yourself to keep and shoot......i'd be interested to see a pic or hear about it if you did......don't wanna derail your thread though......ryan
I never have made one to keep. Someday I want to though, I just cant seem to get ahead on them because they take so much time. So far each one has been a "One of a Kind" so each and every part has to be re-invented and my learning curve is slow to develop.

On this one I'm seriously considering having a working blueprint made and sell the plans to anybody who would like to make their own. I wonder if I would sell enough copies to make it worthwhile? Not many smiths make guns from scratch but if they have a milling machine and a small lathe they can make one for themselves. I want to change it on the blueprint so the blade will be separate. The blade alone could be heat treated and could be made longer, shorter, high carbon, damascus etc. The frame can also be damascus. The combinations are endless.

Great tutorial/informational article, as always Bruce.

One of the photos above shows what to me is a special type of cutter, that's possibly shaving steel off of the ramrod. It almost looks as if it fits loose on the ramrod until the lathe is turned on, then that little unit can be adjusted to take a few thousand's off the ramrod?? Am I anywhere close?

I've been wondering who's going to get this one, then it dawned on me. Several pictures up shows the cut N shoot on it's side, with RH RH on it. RH? Hey! that's me!
Robert Hensarling (now get to work :eek:) Yes, I'd purchase a set of plans if you ever go that route. The way I understand it, if it's black powder, there shouldn't be any involvment with the ATF, etc.?

Robert what a good sense of humor you have this early in the morning too. The RH actually means Right Hand. Theres a LH on the other side:D This one may go to France when its finished but thats not for sure yet so I will put your name down next :)

The cutter you see in the picture is a high speed steel blank that I ground out a "U" shape and cuts a round spot on the knob. In machine shop one of the first things they teach is how to grind your own cutter tips.

Bruce,

I'd pay $20 or $30 for plans. You'd have to include almost a basic how to for non-black powder guys but other than that, I think you could sell a lot. You may also want to approach a publisher about having a book made. Working with a publisher, they would hook you up with a ghost writer and all you have to provide is the technical knowledge. Let's face it, all the other great makers have made books, that's steady income for years and years. You'd make much more off of that than just poducing the prints and selling soft copies. Great work. Maybe someday I'll be there to try something like that!

Bruce,

I'd pay $20 or $30 for plans. You'd have to include almost a basic how to for non-black powder guys but other than that, I think you could sell a lot. You may also want to approach a publisher about having a book made. Working with a publisher, they would hook you up with a ghost writer and all you have to provide is the technical knowledge. Let's face it, all the other great makers have made books, that's steady income for years and years. You'd make much more off of that than just poducing the prints and selling soft copies. Great work. Maybe someday I'll be there to try something like that!

there is also a thing online now that you write your book and all then send it to a certain place and then if some one wants one they go to the sight order it and they print on demand. supposedly its really not more expensive than traditional publishing. i just cant remember the place off hand, ill try to find it

-matt

I have all the tools and limited time Bruce so will take a set of plans. I have a new inventory built so may try to make it to Montana.

I appreciate all the advice, I lack in there because that side of the brain doesnt get excersized often enough.

I think that if I make one right off the plans and take photos with each vital step with a written description throughout the entire project that you guys could each make one with home workshops. Maybe you would need help from a friend for just a few procedures, heck I still need help on some things. I dont have a surface grinder yet so the one you see in here is Robs with me running it.

Do you think the overall design is good or should I make something that appeals to more tastes? Just because I like it doesnt mean everybody will.

The fixed blade is easier to make than a folder and most of you guys make great fixed blades already. The only new adventure is the gun part of it. So if you use the plans for just the mechanisms and spring designs you could come up with your own configurations on the blade and handles. It would be fun to see what you come up with.

there is also a thing online now that you write your book and all then send it to a certain place and then if some one wants one they go to the sight order it and they print on demand. supposedly its really not more expensive than traditional publishing. i just cant remember the place off hand, ill try to find it

-matt

Matt, that sounds like it may work for me. If you think of it please let me know. Thanks Matt.

Back