Post Pictures of your new Szabo

I just got mine and after perusing this thread I immediately looked for any sort of detent that is not because of the spring. I can make out a detent ball but would that be enough to hold the knife nicely in place when closed? Obviously Spyderco didn't think so but for those that tinker/ed what's your take on it? Would this situation be akin to a ZT350 de-assisted?

From the looks of it (without disassembly) you can see that the detent ball on the compression lock doesn't "drop" down into anything on the blade. It functions simply to reduce the friction from the compression lock as the blade opens through the arc.

I suspected it just from inspection without taking mine apart, and Frozy and eloreno have confirmed it.

I will be taking orders for wave jobs...

I took delivery of one of these on Friday. Very nice knife but I would like to have seen more shape to the handle. The whole thing is rather flat. Some contour - at least on the obverse side - to show off the CF would have been sweet.

Do you have any pictures? Have you done one yet? I am interested to see how it turns out. Currently I carry mine tip down so I am out for now.

I haven't modded this model but I have waved many knives.

Got mine today! Came along with a friend (Caly Damascus)

Szabo-Caly-3-Damascus-4914.jpg

Close-up of "lightning strike" CF:

Szabo-Caly-3-Damascus-4915-1.jpg

Some folks have been asking if the Szabo scales are solid CF or G10 with a veneer of CF. It appears to be a veneer, if you ask me. Here are some super-close-ups:

Szabo-CF-4936.jpg

Szabo-CF-4934.jpg

Some folks have been asking if the Szabo scales are solid CF or G10 with a veneer of CF. It appears to be a veneer, if you ask me. Here are some super-close-ups:

Szabo-CF-4936.jpg

Szabo-CF-4934.jpg

I assume you are talking about the two tone effect ?

Thats from grinding/chamfering the scales , the "grain" will be different depending on what angle you grind it.

You´ll see the same effect on G-10 & Micarta , wood etc.

1234,,,:)

I think racer88 is correct with the gold weave being only in the top layer. If it wasn't you would at least see some of the gold on the sides.

I think racer88 is correct with the gold weave being only in the top layer. If it wasn't you would at least see some of the gold on the sides.

Sorry but was that the original question , there is a top gold weave , and the rest of it is CF I think.
"solid CF or G10 with a veneer of CF"

This was hard to explain :D

Last edited:
7:20 mark, it's pretty much confirmed that the Taiwan models don't use real CF. Just a veneer.

[youtube]XN4-L5Vn300[/youtube]

I am carrying mine today. It has continued to loosen, but I cannot flick it open.

Now that I had the opportunity to play around with it , it´s just to hard to open & close ,
both my thumb and index fingers are hurting from opening and closing , and the lock is very stiff too, it has loosened a little after about 100 cycles with some oil , oh and the pivot screw must be tightened down or the blade gets so off center it rubs on the liner.

It will probably get better with time but I don´t see it being flicked open ever unless the pivot screw is lose and you use massive
force.

It´s a lovely knife but its slow in the opening & closing department , if i was looking for a fast deploying knife I would
have been disappointed , luckily I have the time to spare before I attack my daily chores with it , now I will open my mail , success , oh great another bill .:D

I still haven't figured out how to post pictures but I drove to my local brick & mortar knife store [ I know this must be a shock for all you online guys "what's a store?"] a couple of days ago and purchased the Szabo. It's not a big knife compared to my CS Hold-out 1[for example] but it is a big knife compared to most folders out there. Just as importantly , it's a great looking knife! Thank- you Spyderco for collaborating with Szabo and allowing the masses to own a Szabo style knife at a reasonable price.
I'm always suprised at how little splash a fantastic ,out of the ordinary,knife like the Szabo and formerly the Warrior, seems to make on this sub-forum. Of course it's unrealistic and egotistical of me to assume that everyone else gets as buzzed as I do over certain knives.
I'm now anticipating the Pygmy Warrior and then the folding Warrior.

Anyone else have trouble taking off or loosening the pivot bolt? Mine feels like it was sealed in with cement or something. One side comes out fine, the other will not move for anything.

This guy's pivot is one sleeve + two bolts construction.
I unscrewed both of bolts and then tried open/close the blade, still stiff though...
As for detent ball, works for smoothness between tongue and lock spring.
Detent hole is not necessary in this mechanism.
I gonna enjoy tame this beast.:D

However I luv clicking feel of Yojinbo 2 when I close it.:cool:

Back