Post up your survival kits / bug out bags!

On bladeforum, i have learn in the past months that the cheaper ESEE light machete out chops my junglas, altoid tin are worthless and that we are crazy for buying more than 1 ESEE knives.

Luv ya ESEE! :thumbup: :D

So, you have indeed learned common sense and logic which is the main goal of this forum. ;)

In all seriousness, if you're going to buy a commercial first aid kit or build an altoids tin kit and think you're safe then you need to get out more.

i dont think the kits are worthless, but i think they need to be put in a realistic perpective. they wont contain a whole camp kit in your altoids kit, but they could contain say a lighter, some fatwood, tinder, etc to get a fire going. or say a fishing kit. i personally use them to keep all my gear together in a pack, but each one has a different purpose. if i only take one, it normally has my basic firestarting need, plus a small piece of cord( fishing line mostly)

Here's my everyday kit/ bugout bag. It doesn't matter if I'm going to work, a day hike or out for a week this is what I've found works for me. Now before I get responses sang there's no food at all in there, I went out recently and ate it, just haven't replenished the stash. So here's the whole pack, it doesn't stay like this when I'm out in the woods but it is easier to grab and go like this and then disperse it when I get where I'm going
fa576549.jpg

4b753502.jpg

1811a19e.jpg

Heres what's in the pockets when I go anywhere
7f2314cf.jpg

df46b051.jpg

6a7ea757.jpg

9074fd8d.jpg

This is my belt kit for once I get out.
aa9b50f8.jpg

Here's what's inside, I haven't figured out what I'm going to keep as kit in the cook pot yet I just made the pouch last week but it will be full soon.
64062ea7.jpg

Here's what's on the outside of the pack
64062ea7.jpg

Psk pouch
549c5f58.jpg

282e55b3.jpg

7286bba6.jpg

Fish kit
ad1f3637.jpg

Compact water setup
cd9ec2d5.jpg

Inside the falcon 2 pockets
e5e02dd3.jpg

858cff5e.jpg

6db63d84.jpg

f35dcffe.jpg

This is normally the pouch with food and snares
19c462eb.jpg

0767094f.jpg

The main compartment
5c1b1d52.jpg

73a2459e.jpg

The firekit and sewing kit
3c876470.jpg

In the cookpot
280f4e47.jpg

d265e087.jpg

This is normally in the main compartment too but it crapper out on the last trip. Can't figure out why so time for a new one I guess
b9529afd.jpg

This is out for cleaning
5ddc69c0.jpg

634d4234.jpg

35f773db.jpg

Total pack weighs about 27 lbs

This is my first attempt to insert pics. Hope it works

I would carry this too

I am trying to add pics via Flickr and i am doing something wrong . . .help

Last edited:
This is my first attempt to insert pics. Hope it works

www.flickr.com/photos/60280388@N04/5499920422
www.flickr.com/photos/60280388@N04/5499325797
www.flickr.com/photos/60280388@N04/5499326599

I would carry this too
www.flickr.com/photos/60280388@N04/5499922220

I am trying to add pics via Flickr and i am doing something wrong . . .help

Just copy the link into the little mountain button.

There are some decent kits here. I don't really like the altiod tin concept. I rather have a small fanny pack/butt pack

Nice looking set up Heath!

Thanks, it's pretty messy though, I like how organized everything in your kits is, no rummaging that way. I'm adding a snukpak traveller bag to the setup too pretty quick.
I also keep this in the car for if I ever need it.
77316987.jpg

Living in Illinois there isn't much call for this but I have it and you just never know where travels will take you.
My harness is in the bag with 200' of static rope two locking carabiners a rigger belt two belay devices and 50' of dynamic climbing rope and 50' of 1" tubular webbing. Sort of my climbing rappelling kit.

Not to bust anyone's balls, but how many of you have actually taken an Altoids kit to the woods and spent 3 days living off of only that kit? Reason I say this is for the most part I call bullshit on these kits. They give someone a false sense of security.

I always considered them just the most minimal stuff to build a fire, etc.

Over the years I have taken to using Altoids and British tobacco tins and other containers like that as "pods" inside of larger kits - like BACKPACKS. :D

They're good organizers and they keep things like fishhooks, sewing needles and ESEE Arrowheads(!) from poking into everything else. :)

Thanks, it's pretty messy though, I like how organized everything in your kits is, no rummaging that way. I'm adding a snukpak traveller bag to the setup too pretty quick.
I also keep this in the car for if I ever need it.
77316987.jpg

Living in Illinois there isn't much call for this but I have it and you just never know where travels will take you.
My harness is in the bag with 200' of static rope two locking carabiners a rigger belt two belay devices and 50' of dynamic climbing rope and 50' of 1" tubular webbing. Sort of my climbing rappelling kit.

What I did in my BOB was in the main pack area, I divided the smaller items between (3) 12x12 Aloksak's. That way everything is contained within each bag and also is waterproofed. I had my old Maxpedition pack lined with a large dry bag to seal it up water tight. I'd post a pic but Photobucket is not wanting to work with me right now!:mad:

im surprised to not see any safety glasses and work gloves leather or nitrile.

i really like the kit built off the snowpeak cup!

i wish i could get stormproof matches out here.

this is sort of the stuff i take out with me....all the items go in the bag placed above them.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

I always have canvas and leather work gloves in the backpack. When I go camping, I buy a pair of cheap gray canvas ones at Home Despot, China-Mart or even 7-11. I'll go right in the fire and adjust logs with a pair of them on. :D

For survival purposes, some type of good gloves are a great thing to have.

I'd post a pic but Photobucket is not wanting to work with me right now!:mad:

Whenever you need a quick pic posted, try ImageStation. Sometimes they go on the fritz, too, but they are usually pretty good.

im surprised to not see any safety glasses and work gloves leather or nitrile.

I've got two different pairs of leather gloves and a pair of super thick nitrile gloves in there. As far as safety glasses, I wear glasses and I carry a spare set of glasses in my pack so I don't really see the point in dedicated safety glasses.
73a2459e.jpg

heath2 i noticed yours! :) just thought id see more.

i dont even have it in my photo but i carry safety sunglasses with nitrile gloves and usually have my cheapo leather gloves tucked somewhere.

Hello everyone,

First time posting in the esee forum. I am a big believer in being prepared all the time. To be prepared sometimes is to not be prepared. While I dont carry a "kit" on me, I do carry several items on me that are very important should bad stuff happen, I'm not talking about a "Red Dawn" or zombie invasion, just a car break down, or being stuck somewhere due to bad weather.

we had a terrible ice storm come through two years ago and it crippled this area for weeks. Many people were caught off guard. The GF said she then knew why I kept all that stuff she called junk. We were able to eat hot food, and stay in place while other folks had to pack up and leave until the power came back on. A few flashlights, candles, and a kerosene heater can save your ass in times like that.

I do keep a loaded kit in my truck with more advanced stuff like water purification tabs, canteen kit, LMF spork, LMF ferro rod, space blanket, butane lighter, dryer lint, compass, map of county, sharpening stone, lots of 550 cord, first aid stuff, super glue, needle and thread, a hobbo stove and sterno, two cans of soup, a chem light or two, and a pen and water proof paper (rite in the rain). I keep all this in an UTG pack. And I keep a full size eastwing axe in my tool box. The goal behind the kit is to keep me going forward no matter what.

I was once stuck out in a storm with my mom after she picked me up from martial arts class when I was about 12. Trees had blown down all over the place and we were unable to get home until someone cut them up and moved them, after the storm!

As for what is on my person, a casio path finder watch, paracord braclet, nebo redline flashlight, and of course a very sturdy folder. When I am not at work, I keep my glock 22 on me.

Thanks for the post TJ, glad you stopped in to share! The great thing about ESEE is it's not just about knives, it's learning survival skills, self-sustainability, and hanging out with a lot of great people that just love the outdoors.

Alright, after chatting with Photobucket I finally got my pics working again! Here is a pic of 2 of the Aloksak's packed tight.

mybugoutbag006.jpg

I'm working on some Aloksak kits myself. My kit theory changes all the time, size, container, contents, everything.

Back