Post up your survival kits / bug out bags!

MHILL: Looks like a pretty nice kit you have there. I think you touched on something is so important and that is the fact that your kit is compact and easy to carry. If a kit is such a PIA to carry that you start leaving it behind then ... well you get the point.

Adaman: Reminds me of Dave and his panty pics... you could have been famous.

Amen. One of my first kits was built on a Jumbo Versipack. Hated carrying it in the woods. Might revise it and lighten it a bit and give it another try.

Decklin, that's it man. I had a lot of this gear in my backpack. Did my zero good when the bag was at camp because I hated dragging it along everywhere I went.

That's a great kit you put together Micheal! It's fairly compact and easy to carry, yet still has everything you should need. Good stuff!

My BOB – I use this bag as my bug out bag, but with minor changes this can be a hiking/ day camping bag, or can be my zombie survival bag…

The bag – Condor, with the ESEE patch displaying that I am in fact a bad-a$$. To the sides I have attached a Fiskars hatchet (soon to be replaced with a Cold Steel Spike Hawk), my primary flashlight, and a can of pepper spray. On the front I have attached the trusty Izula.
DSC_3807.jpg

DSC_3809.jpg

DSC_3822.jpg

Main pouch – 3 plastic bags wrapped in duct tape, and one zippered medical bag. I also have 3 glow sticks and an electronic light, a spork, plus a bottle of water.
DSC_3810.jpg

DSC_3812.jpg

DSC_3815.jpg

Bag 1 – Fire/Signalling.
Signal mirror
Whistle
Waterproof matches (green can)
Fire steel, sharpening stone (plastic bag with blue)
Small smoke bombs and magnesium signals
Large smoke bomb
Military issue zip pen for use with signal flares. (plastic bag with white and red)
Missing = Military issue signal mirror (found it later in another pouch)
DSC_3814.jpg

Bag 2 – Misc
Bug spray
Hand warmers
Ear plugs
Folding scissors
Poncho
Space blanket
Compass and another signal mirror.
DSC_3816.jpg

Bag 3 – Water/Food
Water treatment tablets
Mini Cliff bars
Emergen-C (great energy and vitamins)
Zip Fizz (energy suppliment)
Large Cliff bar
Mil issue drink mix
DSC_3817.jpg

Bag 4 – Medical
Rubber gloves
First aid box
-Tylenol, Ibuprofen, sudaphed (orange bottle)
-500 mg Vicodin (Yellow tube)
-Excedrin, 500mg Ibuprofen (white bottle)
-Neosporin
-Band-Aids, various shapes and sizes.
Ice pack
Gauze
Quick Clot
Medical clamp
Benadryl tube
Medical scissors
Ace bandage
Suture
More Neosporin
DSC_3818.jpg

DSC_3819.jpg

Second Pouch –
DSC_3820.jpg

ESEE 6
Air force survival manual
Sunglasses
Du rag (soon to be replaced with a better hat)
Garbage bags
Missing - Mil issue USAF survival knife - took it out to sharpen, but i keep both in the bag)
DSC_3821.jpg

Outer pouches – Top pouch
DSC_3823.jpg

GPS
Tanto knife with serrations
RAT survival card
(and the signal mirror that was in the wrong place)
DSC_3824.jpg

Bottom Pouch –
DSC_3825.jpg

Wire saw
HK multitool
Multitool with wrench
Zip ties
Sharpie
Flashlight
Paracord
Bottle opener
Arrowhead
22lr rounds
Hand sanitizer
Thermometer and compass
Mini pry bar.
DSC_3826.jpg

The Whole Package
DSC_3827.jpg

I know I’m missing quite a few things, and others just need to be replaced with other/better stuff. On the list so far is more paracord (I used all 100 feet last week to make a rifle sling), fishing supplies, sewing supplies, mre’s (which I also used last week while hiking, just have not been able to replace yet), a packable jacket, and many more things. So far I like the pack and what I have a lot though. Ive only just gotten into knives and survival stuff in the last few months, and I know I have a long way to go.

Any critiques are welcome!

Also – I do have a secondary bag with a tent, shovel, folding wood saw, climbing rope and other things, but this is more my go to bag, that is for if I have a second person surviving with me.

Not to bust anyone's balls, but how many of you have actually taken an Altoids kit to the woods and spent 3 days living off of only that kit? Reason I say this is for the most part I call bullshit on these kits. They give someone a false sense of security.

My kit (the one I posted earlier) has evolved from several trips in the woods. I've added things and taken things out over time... and will continue to do so I'm sure! It has some items that would be helpful in an emergency but most of it is stuff I use (like fire lighting, uh... stuff, sunscreen, bug spray and so forth). Even my first aid items are things that I've found useful (like blister bandages). I really don't even call it a survival kit as much as a "bag of small items I take outdoors"! :)

Some things I haven't had to use yet, but I'm sure I will some day. Items like the needle and strong thread for gear repairs and a small amount of duct tape. Also, this kit is a small part of the gear I take into the woods, I'm not skilled enough to depend on what can only fit in a tin of mints. ;)

Hrmmm off to the walmart belt rack I go. I've got a 6 in the mail and this seems like a nice and easy temporary setup. (Till I either buy the molle back or a custom leather sheath)

Did any of you already tried a wire saw ? those are the shittiest piece of gear i have ever seen.. they break all the time! Good for you if you got space for it but dont count on it to build a shelter..

Did any of you already tried a wire saw ? those are the shittiest piece of gear i have ever seen.. they break all the time! Good for you if you got space for it but dont count on it to build a shelter..

There are some better than others but the point they usually fail at is the wire pulling out of the handle crimp.

Luckily, you can build a shelter without cutting tools. They make it easier, but not required.

Now Tony, it is perfect for sawing through ½” diameter sticks that you could just break with your hands. :D

Actually, I have one that was sold as a “hunting saw” that has bar handles instead of split rings. Slide it through the pelvis of the deer and in about 5 pulls it zips right through the bone. Works great.

:D

now the one I received with the E&E Survival pocket kit (advance and the basic) had a nice one with it that works great ! (old pic)
DSCF1050.jpg

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

My son and I used a wire saw on our last pack packing trip, just messing around while killing some time. The thing worked good. I was pretty impressed with it. It was braided and it held up fine. We also cut through a 4" piece of pine using nothing but a 2' piece of masonry string. We kept rubbing mud and sand on the string for added friction. The greener the better.

My BOB – I use this bag as my bug out bag, but with minor changes this can be a hiking/ day camping bag, or can be my zombie survival bag…

The bag – Condor, with the ESEE patch displaying that I am in fact a bad-a$$. To the sides I have attached a Fiskars hatchet (soon to be replaced with a Cold Steel Spike Hawk), my primary flashlight, and a can of pepper spray. On the front I have attached the trusty Izula.
DSC_3807.jpg

DSC_3809.jpg

DSC_3822.jpg

Main pouch – 3 plastic bags wrapped in duct tape, and one zippered medical bag. I also have 3 glow sticks and an electronic light, a spork, plus a bottle of water.
DSC_3810.jpg

DSC_3812.jpg

DSC_3815.jpg

Bag 1 – Fire/Signalling.
Signal mirror
Whistle
Waterproof matches (green can)
Fire steel, sharpening stone (plastic bag with blue)
Small smoke bombs and magnesium signals
Large smoke bomb
Military issue zip pen for use with signal flares. (plastic bag with white and red)
Missing = Military issue signal mirror (found it later in another pouch)
DSC_3814.jpg

Bag 2 – Misc
Bug spray
Hand warmers
Ear plugs
Folding scissors
Poncho
Space blanket
Compass and another signal mirror.
DSC_3816.jpg

Bag 3 – Water/Food
Water treatment tablets
Mini Cliff bars
Emergen-C (great energy and vitamins)
Zip Fizz (energy suppliment)
Large Cliff bar
Mil issue drink mix
DSC_3817.jpg

Bag 4 – Medical
Rubber gloves
First aid box
-Tylenol, Ibuprofen, sudaphed (orange bottle)
-500 mg Vicodin (Yellow tube)
-Excedrin, 500mg Ibuprofen (white bottle)
-Neosporin
-Band-Aids, various shapes and sizes.
Ice pack
Gauze
Quick Clot
Medical clamp
Benadryl tube
Medical scissors
Ace bandage
Suture
More Neosporin
DSC_3818.jpg

DSC_3819.jpg

Second Pouch –
DSC_3820.jpg

ESEE 6
Air force survival manual
Sunglasses
Du rag (soon to be replaced with a better hat)
Garbage bags
Missing - Mil issue USAF survival knife - took it out to sharpen, but i keep both in the bag)
DSC_3821.jpg

Outer pouches – Top pouch
DSC_3823.jpg

GPS
Tanto knife with serrations
RAT survival card
(and the signal mirror that was in the wrong place)
DSC_3824.jpg

Bottom Pouch –
DSC_3825.jpg

Wire saw
HK multitool
Multitool with wrench
Zip ties
Sharpie
Flashlight
Paracord
Bottle opener
Arrowhead
22lr rounds
Hand sanitizer
Thermometer and compass
Mini pry bar.
DSC_3826.jpg

The Whole Package
DSC_3827.jpg

I know I’m missing quite a few things, and others just need to be replaced with other/better stuff. On the list so far is more paracord (I used all 100 feet last week to make a rifle sling), fishing supplies, sewing supplies, mre’s (which I also used last week while hiking, just have not been able to replace yet), a packable jacket, and many more things. So far I like the pack and what I have a lot though. Ive only just gotten into knives and survival stuff in the last few months, and I know I have a long way to go.

Any critiques are welcome!

Also – I do have a secondary bag with a tent, shovel, folding wood saw, climbing rope and other things, but this is more my go to bag, that is for if I have a second person surviving with me.

Hey man...I have the same hatchet, call up gerber and let them know witch one you have and they "free of charge" will send you a nice sheath for it, that's what I did. :D

Back